UKC

..the steam off my piss...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jo-cox-memorial-fund-dominic-...

Have we had this? Charming Tory Leave chap in Yorkshire.

What I especially like about it is how in his apology he says that what he actually meant was that there was no way he'd donate money to a charity helping war victims in Syria, as though that was a perfectly normal position which went without saying.

jcm
 TMM 22 Jun 2016
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Here's that apology lifted from the article you linked to.

Sometimes when voting it pays to look around and look at the company you keep.

Obviously the Brexiteers will just remind us that it is the left wing. liberal media who keeps making such a big deal of these fringe minority players. Fringe players like Arabella Arkwright.

'Mr Peacock told The Independent he deleted the post as soon as he became aware of its potential for offence and that he offered an “unreserved apology”.
"I shouldn’t have used those words or that language," he said.

"What I should have explained was that there was no way I would donate to the White Helmets.

"Clearly, I shouldn’t have put out a statement that was so sharp. I should have thought. I think the words are ‘tired and emotional’.
"I put it in a flippant way and I can see why people think it’s appalling.

"I shouldn’t have done it and I issue an unreserved apology to anyone who I have hurt or offended."
'
 Big Ger 22 Jun 2016

Maybe he's a Private Eye reader.

> The phrase tired and emotional is a chiefly British euphemism for alcohol intoxication (or drunkenness). It was popularised by the British satirical magazine Private Eye in 1967 after being used in a spoof diplomatic memo to describe the state of Labour Cabinet minister George Brown, but is now used as a stock phrase. The restraints of the parliamentary language also mean it is unacceptable in the House of Commons to accuse an MP of being drunk, but one may use this or other euphemisms such as not quite himself and overwrought. The Guardian describes the phrase as having joined those "that are part of every journalist's vocabulary." Because of this widespread interpretation, one source cautions professional British journalists against its use as "even if the journalist meant it literally," it could be considered defamatory
 TMM 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

I think we all recognise the euphemism, its use has been common for many decades now.

Again it shows the level of judgement and probity from this elected official.

Reprehensible behaviour.
 DerwentDiluted 22 Jun 2016

Whatever the outcome tomorrow, we will need a better calibre of person in public office than Mr. Peacock.
 TMM 22 Jun 2016
In reply to TMM:

Intrigued that someone has 'disliked' my last post.

Does that suggest there is a user on this site who thinks that Mr Peacocks comments were well judged and not reprehensible or that they thought it inappropriate for someone to comment on his actions?

What a broad church UKC has become.
 Big Ger 22 Jun 2016
In reply to TMM:
weren't me!

Though I must admit I've only known PE readers to refer to it.
Post edited at 08:04
 krikoman 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> weren't me!

> Though I must admit I've only known PE readers to refer to it.

Been around for years, I've never read PE.
 Mark Collins 22 Jun 2016
In reply to TMM:

> Intrigued that someone has 'disliked' my last post.

> Does that suggest there is a user on this site who thinks that Mr Peacocks comments were well judged and not reprehensible or that they thought it inappropriate for someone to comment on his actions?

> What a broad church UKC has become.

Forget about it. Probably the serial disliker mentioned in another post and nothing to do with your post.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...