UKC

Can we have a Politics Forum?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dandan 23 Jun 2016
So that I can block it from My Forums, honestly, finding a topic about climbing is like trying to find an earring in the sink trap, you have to pick through a load of stuff that you'd rather not be touching.

PaulTanton 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Dandan:
Please yes, so I can exclude it
 toad 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Dandan:
Think it might calm down after today....
 marsbar 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Dandan:

I suggested a religion vs atheism one for the same reason but that seems to have been replaced by politics.
 Greasy Prusiks 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Dandan:

Yeah I'd like a politics one as well.

Perhaps the icon could be someone with their fingers in their ears shouting really loudly?
 Babika 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Dandan:

Yes please. Its been a bit tedious this last month.
 Sir Chasm 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Dandan:

How about a separate forum for people who read thread titles on subjects they don't like and then read the thread anyway?
 mark20 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Dandan:

Let's take our UKC back!
 d_b 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Dandan:

And a banhammer for anyone who posts political threads outside it.
OP Dandan 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> How about a separate forum for people who read thread titles on subjects they don't like and then read the thread anyway?

But I don't read them. (Unless they have some kind of misleading title that may or may not be politics related, if there was a forum for them then I would know not to even read those ones.)

MG 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Dandan:

It is called "Off Belay"... Curious about why you would "rather not touch" politics (although realise it is dominating things briefly)?
 Sir Chasm 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Dandan:

Well if you don't read them then there's no problem.
OP Dandan 23 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

> It is called "Off Belay"... Curious about why you would "rather not touch" politics (although realise it is dominating things briefly)?

But Off Belay contains other things which I might find interesting or briefly entertaining, however politics, especially the excessive amount kicking around at the moment, holds no interest for me.
I've no interest in cycling, skiing, running or winter climbing but I don't have to navigate through a load of posts about those things because I have blocked those forums.
 MG 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Dandan:

> , however politics, ...holds no interest for me.

It surely must have some interest as will affect all aspects of your life in various ways?
OP Dandan 23 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

> It surely must have some interest as will affect all aspects of your life in various ways?

Well, yes you are absolutely right, you can't avoid the effects of politics. But it seems to me that whichever party is in control, or whoever is making certain decisions, the end result is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.
One party promises to abolish tax X, but will increase duty on product Y, the opposition would do it the other way around. One party will make legislation I agree with in one area, but not in another, the opposition would do differently, but just in a different combination of good and bad.

Overall, whoever is shouting at each other in a big building in London, I get *roughly* the same amount of money each month, and none of it really stops me living my life how I want.

Also, I voted for a party so that they could do all this shouting for me, I've no interest in discussing what they are shouting about, suggestion how I could shout louder or better, or even knowing what they are shouting about, because by and large, it makes no difference to me.

The Brexit deal is slightly different as this could well have an immediate effect on me, but again, I've done my research, I've made my mind up, that's that.
No amount of reading about other people's opinions is going to make a difference to that, so I'm not interested.

I'm not saying everyone should be as disinterested as me, as then there wouldn't be a government (although give me all my tax back and ill pay for my own bins to be emptied and cover my own medical fees and reckon I'll do alright out of it), but I'm on a forum about climbing because I like climbing, I don't go on politics forums, the same reason I don't go on crochet forums, no interest.
Hopefully once Brexit is out of the way things will calm down and there will be less politics posts, but still, it was worth an ask.
In reply to Dandan:

You know you can select which of the forums you can/can't see?

Just 'untick' off belay/the pub and all the politics stuff will disappear.
 MG 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Dandan:

Well OK, and I agree there is a lot of dross here and elsewhere, but reading others' opinions is worthwhile. I have certainly had my mind changed on occasion from posters here.
 Ramblin dave 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Dandan:

I'd support replacing the current rather vague division of "none-of-the-above" topics between "off-belay" and "the pub" with a split between heavyweight issues and more fun / noncontroversial stuff - the ability of UKC to occasionally get into a 400 post flame war about literally any topic notwithstanding. You could call them "serious terrain" and "easy ground" or something.
OP Dandan 23 Jun 2016
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

> You know you can select which of the forums you can/can't see?

> Just 'untick' off belay/the pub and all the politics stuff will disappear.

You should probably read the thread before posting...

Sir Chasm 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Dandan:

> You should probably read the thread before posting...

But not if you have no interest in the topic...
OP Dandan 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Sir Chasm:

Touche

(Although if you aren't interested then perhaps don't post..?)
 Sir Chasm 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Dandan:

> Touche

> (Although if you aren't interested then perhaps don't post..?)

Obviously, you'd have to be daft to read or post on a thread you weren't interested in.
In reply to Dandan:
A fair comment! But I think you're expectations are too high. Its a climbing forum; segregating the generic non climbing stuff into a myriad of categories to placate users who get irked by reading thread titles they don't like is, I suspect, beyond what the owners of ukc would be interested in expending effort on.

It really isn't that much effort to skim past the politics stuff. And if it is, then unticking off belay and the pub remains your best option.
Post edited at 11:54
 Ramblin dave 23 Jun 2016

> A fair comment! But I think you're expectations are too high. Its a climbing forum; segregating the generic non climbing stuff into a myriad of categories to placate users who get irked by reading thread titles they don't like is, I suspect, beyond what the owners of ukc would be interested in expending effort on.

Or rather, "segregating the generic non climbing stuff into a myriad of categories to placate users who get irked by reading thread titles they don't like is exactly what we do at the moment but segregating it very slightly differently is beyond what the owners of ukc would be interested in expending effort on."
 Sir Chasm 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Would this thread go in the Politics Forum?

Ok, lets run with the idea...

What would the categories be then? Let's make a list:

Politics
Religion
Parking fines and other driving related stuff
Sports eg football rugby etc
Lemmings threads (worth a forum on their own given the reactions some people seem to have to them)

Any more. ..?

In reply to Sir Chasm:

A fair point. We need a forum for people to post threads expressing their discontent about subjects without them having to post in the forum dealing with the subject they are discontented about....

> Lemming's threads

With an auto-dislike function for every page visit to save his dislike stalkers the effort...

> Any more. ..?

"Grammar pedantry" forum, obviously...

"Dislike dislikes" forum

"I'm a tedious climbing oik, and I don't want to read or talk about anything else, not even if it's the most important decision the country will make in 50 years" forum. Which, of course, immediately vanishes in a puff of logical inconsistency...
 Ramblin dave 23 Jun 2016

As per my previous comment. We've already got "Off Belay" and "The Pub", which people seem to choose between more or less at random. Why not relabel them as being for "serious / contentious issues" and "general off-topic chat". It wouldn't be perfect, but it would mean that I could choose whether I want to get into an in depth argument about racism or whether I'd rather have a gentle chat about dogs, fried breakfasts, the weather etc.
 Sir Chasm 23 Jun 2016

How on earth do you manage to choose now?
afghanidan 23 Jun 2016
In reply to toad:

> Think it might calm down after today....

We've still got a general election and another referendum to get through before Autumn!
Removed User 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

I think there ought to be a politics forum that only I can start threads and post on, but with the like button available to everyone. No dislike button obviously.
 Ramblin dave 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> How on earth do you manage to choose now?

The same way that people would choose what to read if we dropped subforums entirely and had everything under "stuff". Ignoring and scrolling. It's just less convenient, and would be easy to change.

Aside... how is it that if you pick an arbitrary way of doing things and stick with it for a while, everyone convinces themselves that it's the one perfect way of doing it and that any attempt to improve on it is crazy and unnecessary? It's like that thread about multipitch grades where people seemed to have decided that giving a tech grade per pitch is obviously totally essential but giving a trad grade per pitch would mark the end of civilization as we know it.
 Bootrock 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Removed User:

Censorship much?

Don't like people disagreeing with you? Get a grip.
KevinD 23 Jun 2016

> I think there ought to be a politics forum that only I can start threads and post on

Nah should make it more like prime ministers question time. Anyone can start a thread with a question and anyone can answer it. However the question the answer is attached to should be random.

balmybaldwin 23 Jun 2016

> I think there ought to be a politics forum that only I can start threads and post on, but with the like button available to everyone. No dislike button obviously.

If you want to write a load of stuff no one cares about or reads, have you considered starting your own blog?
 Simon4 23 Jun 2016

> What would the categories be then? Let's make a list:

> Any more. ..?

Well "Injuries and Recovery" obviously.

In reply to Bootrock:

Was the sense of humour bypass a painful procedure...?
Removed User 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Bootrock:

Oh dear.
Removed User 23 Jun 2016
In reply to KevinD:

> Nah should make it more like prime ministers question time. Anyone can start a thread with a question and anyone can answer it. However the question the answer is attached to should be random.

Or like BBC Question time where someone asks a question and the answer given is on a different planet and goes on for at least 20,000 words.
 Bootrock 23 Jun 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

I gave your post a like.
 Big Ger 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Dandan:

> So that I can block it from My Forums, honestly, finding a topic about climbing is like trying to find an earring in the sink trap, you have to pick through a load of stuff that you'd rather not be touching.

YOu could always look in here;

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/i.php?f=9

In reply to Dandan:

> like trying to find an earring in the sink trap

Given your name, i would have thought loo u-bend would have been more apt...
In reply to Bootrock:

> I gave your post a like.

Well done you...
 BAdhoc 24 Jun 2016
In reply to toad:

> Think it might calm down after today....

Spoke too soon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...