UKC

Southern Cross 2 tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 earlsdonwhu 23 Jun 2016
Looking to replace my well used Solar 2 from Terra Nova and the Southern Cross seemed an attractive option. Any one got one and care to share your impressions.
I know there was a recent thread which was critical of TN and poles snapping but with the chance of a decent trade in, it seems sensible to stick with them.

I would be using it for cycle touring and backpacking.... I know you can go lighter and smaller but am happy with the slighly extra weight for some space.

Thanks
 mattck 23 Jun 2016
In reply to earlsdonwhu:
Can't chime in on the Southern Cross 2 unfortunately (Though I'm contemplating buying it). The only thing that's putting me off buying one other than the price, is the fact that it seems like it could do with a couple of extra guy points on the face of the tent.

Was it the Solar Photon 2 you've got currently? Looking at that as an option and could possibly bag it for £200, but it looks a bit fragile and tight for space... Interested to hear your thoughts.

If that's not the tent you mean, well then... Ignore me.
Post edited at 16:00
OP earlsdonwhu 23 Jun 2016
In reply to mattcooperkay:

The Solar 2 was an earlier incarnation...with its opening/porch along one side rather than an end. Pretty sturdy but now the groundsheet is getting transparent!

Southern Cross looks a bit like an MSR Hubba Hubba which a lot of people seem to like. If I get a third off on trade in, the TN looks attractive. I am not sure I am convinced by the pole arrangement on either, having lived for so long with a variety of Terra Novas with their pole sleeves.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...