UKC

The Results

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 23 Jun 2016
Polls are closed.... results due in.

Interesting the BBC chose to represent the polls as a race to a finish line in downing street which odd considering this isn't an election.
 broken spectre 23 Jun 2016
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Which begs the question. How are people going to celebrate/commiserate tomorrow?
 The Lemming 23 Jun 2016
In reply to broken spectre:

Didn't the Scottish have a big fight after theirs?

Or we could have an Election?
Gone for good 23 Jun 2016

Farage thinks Remain will edge it.
What he has drawn that conclusion from who knows.

Dave the Rave 23 Jun 2016

> Which begs the question. How are people going to celebrate/commiserate tomorrow?

It's a non event to me. In we are fecked, out we are fecked. I will be celebrating/commiserating with being fecked by getting fecked.
 The Lemming 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Gone for good:

> Farage thinks Remain will edge it.

> What he has drawn that conclusion from who knows.

YouGov have jinksed it by predicting remain at 52%

Jon Stewart 23 Jun 2016

I like the fact that the results are expected by breakfast time. I'm working a late tomorrow, so I presume they mean some time around 8.30. On a day off, I wouldn't be expecting to hear 'til 11.00. No doubt some people will be getting the news at about 5.00!
KevinD 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> I like the fact that the results are expected by breakfast time. I'm working a late tomorrow, so I presume they mean some time around 8.30.

Think it is predicted all in by 7am. It is a nice easy one to count after all.
Although if it is close guess it might end up with a bunch of recounts.

OP balmybaldwin 23 Jun 2016

first result expected at 11:30.

I think they said last one in is Waverly (my borough) some time tomorrow - don't get why it takes so much longer
 Tyler 23 Jun 2016
In reply to KevinD:
Presumably if you recount one you've got to recount them all (unless there is reason to think one counting place had done something wrong)
 Jon Stewart 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Tyler:

> Presumably if you recount one you've got to recount them all (unless there is reason to think one counting place had done something wrong)

Depends how close, surely?
In reply to Tyler:

The returning officer chief lady said they would only recount if a problem was found and only recount the problem borough.

Even if it's close there's no recount, only if there are problems identified. if its a dead heat it will be declared as such - it's only advisory after all
 The New NickB 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Gone for good:

> Farage thinks Remain will edge it.

> What he has drawn that conclusion from who knows.

Markets seem to agree with him, again how they know, I don't know.

> Which begs the question. How are people going to celebrate/commiserate tomorrow?

I shall wake up. Take the dog and make garlic mushrooms on toast with bacon for brekky.

Regardless of the outcome, I won't go hungry for a couple of hours at least.
 wbo 23 Jun 2016
No recount if it's close,, only if there is a problem with a particular area. If it's a dead heat it's a dead heat - the poll is 'only advisory'
 Trevers 23 Jun 2016

I was canvassing by Temple Meads station in Bristol this evening. Now obviously, Bristol is strongly in as a given. What was interesting though was how much positivity there was. I was handing out stickers and everyone wanted one and seemed proud to be wearing one, which wasn't the attitude I'd been led to expect (people voting Remain as the lesser of two evils). Based on that very tiny and obviously biased snapshot, I think Remain will swing it by 4 to 6 poings
 MonkeyPuzzle 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Trevers:

Did anyone try canvassing in Southmead?
 Big Ger 23 Jun 2016

Anyone else staying awake to watch the results?

I am!
 Trevers 23 Jun 2016
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

No idea I'm afraid. I only decided to go out as a last minute decision. But yeah, down by Temple Meads felt like preaching to a converted crowd.
In reply to Big Ger:
I am for a bit, but I'm off to Goodwood tomorrow so can't be up too late
Gibraltar votes 95% for Remain 19,322 to 823.
As expected, but higher percentage and turnout than expected (but of course a tiny number overall)

Remain lead by 18499
Post edited at 00:00
OP balmybaldwin 24 Jun 2016
Marginal win for Remain in Newcastle.
50.7% for Remain 65404 remain, 63598 leave. 68%turnout

Lower margin than expected (supposedly)

Remain Lead by 20,305
Post edited at 00:16

Orkney returns:
63% Remain
7189 remain 4193 leave

Remain lead by 23301
Jim C 24 Jun 2016

> Marginal win for Remain in Newcastle.

> 65404 remain, 63598 leave. 68%turnout

> Lower margin than expected (supposedly)

> Remain Lead by 20,305

The 'experts' said that Newcastle with young uni students would be a strong remain.
Sunderland would be more towards leave.

Let's see what Sunderland does and we will see if the 'experts' have any credibility.
 Tall Clare 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Jim C:

Looks like they got their guess right.
 Ridge 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Jim C:

Sunderland vote leave! That's flipped it completely.

Sunderland's in:

Remain: 51,930 Leave 82,394

65% turnout

Leave lead by 3,208

They were expected to vote leave... but by that much?
 Ridge 24 Jun 2016

I wasn't expecting anything that dramatic. As an aside, what's that blue and yellow bar chart thing about? Must be the worst graphic ever
 JJL 24 Jun 2016

Shit. Not happy.

Students have mostly gone home so the university thing isn't so relevant
In reply to JJL:

presumably that means their votes will be cast at home?

It's still very very early, but the pound is tanking down 6% since the sunderland result
 Dr.S at work 24 Jun 2016
In reply to JJL:

and a fair few students are registered at home anyway
Jim C 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

> Looks like they got their guess right.

The experts are right in the results for both areas , but as Ridge says the margins are a bit more dramatic more leavers than remainers than they anticipated, but generally they are on the right lines.

The pound has dropped so , it looks like they agree that it is closer than they expected.
 Skyfall 24 Jun 2016
A few weeks ago I thought it was feeling like the Scottish vote and could easily go against the polls on the night. Too early to say yet of course.
It's not sounding good for Remain in the north
Post edited at 00:49

Remain back in the lead thanks to a strong nationalist NI area expected to be remain
Foyle:
32064 Remain, 8905 Leave

Remain lead by 19,952
 Flinticus 24 Jun 2016

Off to bed. No idea how this will go across the UK. Certainly Scotland will be remain.

And the Isle of Scilly piles in with

803 votes remain, 621 to leave

Remain lead by 20134
 Trevers 24 Jun 2016

I'm getting that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach all over again :S
Swindon is out

61745 leave 51220 Remain
55% Leave. In line with polls
Post edited at 01:01

missed one.

Leave lead by 6931

off to bed soon, wonder what I'll wake up to
 rogerwebb 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Looks like we will be having another referendum!
 Heike 24 Jun 2016
I don't know, I have already been miserable for ages about this.
 Babika 24 Jun 2016

I'm still up - 1.35am

It's actually more interesting than I thought it would be, as the overall pendulum keeps swinging between the two.

I'd like to see the Birmingham result as it will have such a massive impact, but I suspect that won't be until about 4am.
 pebbles 24 Jun 2016

> off to bed soon, wonder what I'll wake up to

the 1950s

Removed User 24 Jun 2016
In reply to pebbles:

It's looking that way. I'm off to bed. Grim.

Extremely depressing. I fear our economy could be on its knees in a matter of days.
 Heike 24 Jun 2016
To me this is very personal, I am not allowed to vote despite having lived here for 22 years and loving this country. I have always wanted to live here since I first came (on a very legitimate EU exchange if I may add - in case any one thinks I have taken valuable British money away) as I thought it was a place where people were accepted no matter what and where love, welcome and help was given to all types of people. After the last two years' political campaigning, I am not so sure now. I am in tears tonight, crying for what used to be a wonderful, inclusive country and for myself who might have to leave soon as I am European and having wasted a lot of time. It's a shame. And what for? For a politician's self-serving ideas to make himself look better than he is.
I am more than disgusted.
Post edited at 02:49
 Big Ger 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Heike:

> To me this is very personal, I am not allowed to vote despite having lived here for 22 years and loving this country.

Have you applied for citizenship?
 Roadrunner5 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> Extremely depressing. I fear our economy could be on its knees in a matter of days.

Have faith.. Lots of votes to come in.
Clauso 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Last one out, turn the lights off...
 David Riley 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Heike:

I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.
 Heike 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

No, why should I have. So far it was all EU people living on a common exchange in a common area. There was never a need. I have a mortgage here, a job, insurance, family etc. That 'was' the beauty of the EU. I can vote in all Scottish elections, but the Brits /English won't allow it.
 Heike 24 Jun 2016
In reply to David Riley:
What - the UK out of the EU - we all have something to seriously worry about!! ....I hope you are right

Post edited at 04:10
 Big Ger 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Heike:

> No, why should I have.

Because you want a vote.

Applying for citizenship is the only way of getting one.

I'll be voting in Australia on 2/7/16.

David Riley 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Heike:
You can't be asked to leave. Who would want that ?
My partner is Swiss. She's not worried.
Post edited at 04:21
 Heike 24 Jun 2016
In reply to David Riley:

Lucky her. If she has a job back in Switzerland there is no need for her to be worried.For anyone without this it might be a wee more difficult..
 coachio 24 Jun 2016

Scotland votes remain and Uk is out - Just got up and I'm devastated.
 redjerry 24 Jun 2016

It always irritated me to see that the media (and the rest of Britain) portrayed the Scottish referendum as being driven by the same sort of gumby nationalism that's driving the brexit.

The fact is that the political viewpoint of the scottish people is vastly different from that in England.
Now Scotland, much against the will of its people, is going to be dragged out of the EU. Worse still, they'll be shackled to a country that, as a whole, still actually believes that market fundamentalism provides viable economic policy solutions.

Hopefully, this debacle will provide the impetus for another try. Look at that f..ing map for chrissake.

Be careful what you wish for, outers.

I fear a period of huge uncertainty.

Dear oh dear. Look at some of the results on the bbc.
Removed User 24 Jun 2016

Yorkshire out, Gods Own County on the money!
 MikeTS 24 Jun 2016
I thought I just woke up and saw Leave winning. But it must be only a weird dream i am posting in now

Wainers44 24 Jun 2016

Well that's that then. Great to see Neil Hamilton out from under his rock telling us that the Government now needs to take charge.

Haven't felt so depressed for ages.

Shares and the pound tumbling already, be ready for years of dealing with the aftermath of this.

Last comment on this whole sorry topic. Now we will actually see how important the UK really is on a world stage, I fear for all of us.
 robert-hutton 24 Jun 2016
OMG just woken up to a nightmare
We now need a leadership with the commitment to drive this through which we haven't got.
Post edited at 05:43
 phja 24 Jun 2016

Just woke up..wow. It's one of those things that you kind of think "no, leave won't really win...will they?...oh s**t"
 Šljiva 24 Jun 2016
In reply to phja:
Been up all night, working on following it. It still hasn't really sunk in. Biggest fall in the pound ever, to 31-year lows and equities yet to open.
Post edited at 05:34
 TobyA 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Šljiva:

It's all so close. It seems we're so socially split too, I've hardly met anyone voting leave and I'm sure loads of leave voters don't know many remain voters.

The more you think about it, the worse referendums seem. if one side won by 10 or 20 percent fine, but a couple of percent? You just end up with nearly half the country pissed off.
In reply to TobyA:

Very true not once have I discussed face to face anyone who wants to leave.
 Ridge 24 Jun 2016
In reply to TobyA:

> It's all so close. It seems we're so socially split too, I've hardly met anyone voting leave and I'm sure loads of leave voters don't know many remain voters.

> The more you think about it, the worse referendums seem. if one side won by 10 or 20 percent fine, but a couple of percent? You just end up with nearly half the country pissed off.

Strange times indeed. I honestly don't know what happens next, I had a horrible feeling this was coming. Keep calm and carry on seems the only option, and the politicians of all parties have to get their acts together.
 Ridge 24 Jun 2016

Leave vote confirmed.
 sbc_10 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Ridge:

Ironic if England win the Euro football. ...
In reply to robert-hutton:

I woke up this morning in Croatia having had the worst nightmare I have had in years. My nation had entered a New Age of Unenlightenment. It had been overwhelmed by zombies, cheering wildly at economic chaos in the UK and political disunity in Europe. Outside the UK, only the leaders in the Kremlin were pleased.
 summo 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Heike:

> , crying for what used to be a wonderful, inclusive country and for myself who might have to leave soon as I am European and having wasted a lot of time.

I don't think anyone has voted against a European person only the EU. Not the same thing. I suspect nothing will change for those already living and working in another country, other than double taxation agreements.
 summo 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Šljiva:

> Been up all night, working on following it. It still hasn't really sunk in. Biggest fall in the pound ever, to 31-year lows and equities yet to open.

the markets have been talked down for weeks on an out result, it's bound to happen. Traders pulling an allnighter to clear up. Let them have their profit, buy cheap and in a month things will have crept back to near normal. The ball is in the EU court now, Juncker will be chocking on his breakfast.
 doz 24 Jun 2016
In reply to TobyA:

> The more you think about it, the worse referendums seem. if one side won by 10 or 20 percent fine, but a couple of percent? You just end up with nearly half the country pissed off.

I think you have hit the nail on the head...exactly the same happened with the Scottish referendum last year.....democracy should be about achieving consensus...all these two referendums have achieved are division
 Ridge 24 Jun 2016
In reply to John Stainforth:
> I woke up this morning in Croatia having had the worst nightmare I have had in years. My nation had entered a New Age of Unenlightenment. It had been overwhelmed by zombies, cheering wildly at economic chaos in the UK and political disunity in Europe. Outside the UK, only the leaders in the Kremlin were pleased.

There's been a democratic referendum, the result of which you, (and me), are shocked by. There hasn't been a zombie apocalypse, Neo-Nazis haven't overthrown the government and are now revving up the panzers, rage infected Ukip monkeys aren't running round the streets biting people. Sit down, have a good cry and maybe yell a few insults about how stupid the untermenschen are, (although I think that sort of thing provoked the swing to Leave). It's done, and we have to deal with it. That's the way it's gone and we can't change it. Me? I'm off to work.
Post edited at 06:30
 Siward 24 Jun 2016
In reply to doz:

I don't think consensus is possible in a functioning Democracy, it's the nature of the beast. Referendums expose the weakness of the model in stark, stark terms.
 Bobling 24 Jun 2016

Well F**k.
In reply to Ridge:

My own feelings in this are immaterial: I am seriously concerned about the UK and European unity.

Cameron has to go immediately, because he put petty party politics before national interest and instigated this divisive referendum.
 Big Ger 24 Jun 2016

Why is Cornwall taking so bloody long to declare?

The usual excuse for the much derided county council is that they have to wait for votes to come in from the Scilly Isles, Scilly was one of the first to declare.
 Doug 24 Jun 2016
Just woke up, turned on the PC & saw the news, including the crash in Sterling. So do I apply for French citizenship or what for a independent Scotland & a Scottish passport? should I transfer my savings which are in Scotland to France now or just hope the pound will recover a bit rather than fall even further? I really had hoped 'remain' would win, even if very narrowly, but seems we will now have the 'creative destruction' some have wanted. Hopefully the UK will at least stay in the Single Market, else I'll be queuing at the Prefecture for my Carte de séjour & work permit sometime soon

LeeWood 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Doug:

Hmm interesting. We're speculating likewise :/
 Robert Durran 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Bobling:
> Well F**k.

F**k, f**k, f**k. This morning I feel embarrassed to be British.
I suspect Scottish independence is now all but inevitable. The most shocking thing for me is that I can see circumstances in which I might actually vote for it.
Post edited at 06:56
 pebbles 24 Jun 2016

well, I think we just answered the question "How stupid can you get?".

By looking at house prices in Scotland and planning to move?

T.

> Cameron has to go immediately, because he put petty party politics before national interest and instigated this divisive referendum.

Corbyn should go the the areas of leave seem to be labour heart lands.

What we need now is strong leadership.

In reply to Pursued by a bear:

It will be interesting to see how much migration there is of pro-Europeans from England to Scotland.
 Mike Highbury 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Doug:
> Just woke up, turned on the PC & saw the news, including the crash in Sterling. So do I apply for French citizenship or what for a independent Scotland & a Scottish passport? should I transfer my savings which are in Scotland to France now or just hope the pound will recover a bit rather than fall even further? I really had hoped 'remain' would win, even if very narrowly, but seems we will now have the 'creative destruction' some have wanted. Hopefully the UK will at least stay in the Single Market, else I'll be queuing at the Prefecture for my Carte de séjour & work permit sometime soon

Armagideon, innit?
 Shani 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:
> F**k, f**k, f**k. This morning I feel embarrassed to be British.

> I suspect Scottish independence is now all but inevitable. The most shocking thing for me is that I can see circumstances in which I might actually vote for it.

That's part of the problem I think; many BREXITers want to feel English like those in Wales feel Welsh and Scotland feel Scottish. A devolved UK parliament would have done much to address this.

Watck the UK fragment now. I suspect the Queen may also have a diminished role....
Post edited at 07:14
 Yanis Nayu 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Heike:

I have concerns for friends of mine from EU countries who have settled here. I'm sure provisions will be made for people like you, but I understand it will be a very unsettling time.

I feel a little ashamed to be British, perhaps for the first time in my life. I hope everything will be ok.
 Lurking Dave 24 Jun 2016

Wow.

Having spent the day watching the market reaction here in Australia - today is going to be a bloodbath. I expect the FTSE will be down by 10% by the end of the day. Based on the currency movement the recession is pretty much locked in also.

Who the hell is going to lead the UK through all this?

Moley 24 Jun 2016

I am seriously worried about the future now, compared to the suffering many complain about I think we have only just started.

Can someone explain why Scotland, a Celtic nationn with labour based ideals voted mainly remain and yet Wales, a Celtic nation with labour based ideals voted mainly exit? A genuine question, any thoughts?
 veteye 24 Jun 2016

If only I could move to Scotland.

The stupid thing is that the majority of young people are said to have voted to remain. So the older generation has stupidly put shackles of economic problems on the next generations without thinking of how that generation might cope with those problems.

51.9% Leave
48.1% Remain.

A very small difference.
Stupid stupid Cameron.
In reply to veteye:
> If only I could move to Scotland.

> The stupid thing is that the majority of young people are said to have voted to remain. So the older generation has stupidly put shackles of economic problems on the next generations without thinking of how that generation might cope with those problems.

How they will laugh when they see what will happens to the pensions in the coming weeks.

What we will see now is Trump as president of the US, different to believe last week but now very likely.
Post edited at 07:44
 veteye 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Moley:

Is it that the demographics have people in higher social classes in greater amount in Scotland?
 Skyfall 24 Jun 2016
Get a grip, this isn't the end if the world. Markets over react in the short term and it will take a while to see where we get too. Whilst world view of the market reaction is of course concern, not everyone thinks the UK is a basket case and several comments from within The EU are almost conciliatory.

Interesting but challenging times.

Moley 24 Jun 2016
In reply to veteye:

> Is it that the demographics have people in higher social classes in greater amount in Scotland?

Possibly, but I've no idea, it just caught my eye in the results and I wondered why. I took it for granted Scotland would be remain but was surprised Wales went predominantly exit.

As if that isn't bad enough, I have to endure Neil Hamilton's smirking face all over the media this morning. Pass the sick bowl.
In reply to Skyfall:

It's not just about economics but European political stability.

The most conciliatory comments from the EU are from the Far Right parties.
 veteye 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Moley:

The sick bowl is virtually full already as there is the nauseatingly blokey Farage as well as Hamilton.
 Flinticus 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Lurking Dave:

Boris Johnson?

Aaaah. At least I've got my Irish passport.
 Skyfall 24 Jun 2016

> It's not just about economics but European political stability.

> The most conciliatory comments from the EU are from the Far Right parties.

Not true. The far right are looking fir similar votes but comments from EU leaders are not antagonistic by and large.
 Baron Weasel 24 Jun 2016

> first result expected at 11:30.

> I think they said last one in is Waverly (my borough) some time tomorrow - don't get why it takes so much longer

Rubbing out one pencil X doesn't take very long, but when you've got hundreds of them...
 veteye 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Flinticus:
So could there be a mild resurgence of the limp middle parties (Liberal or whatever) as there is not much to like either left(Corbyn of the no ability to press buttons, and the 1970's style) or right(Johnson or some other buffoon)?
Post edited at 07:54
 rogerwebb 24 Jun 2016
In reply to redjerry:

> It always irritated me to see that the media (and the rest of Britain) portrayed the Scottish referendum as being driven by the same sort of gumby nationalism that's driving the brexit.

I didn't notice a difference, I would be happy to be persuaded otherwise.

We will be having that debate I think.

Fraser 24 Jun 2016
In reply to veteye:

> Is it that the demographics have people in higher social classes in greater amount in Scotland?

Quite the opposite I believe
 Ridge 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Skyfall:

> Get a grip, this isn't the end if the world. Markets over react in the short term and it will take a while to see where we get too. Whilst world view of the market reaction is of course concern, not everyone thinks the UK is a basket case and several comments from within The EU are almost conciliatory.

Well said. You'd think some people are desperate for an economic meltdown so they can say "I told you so!"

> Interesting but challenging times.

That they are!
cb294 24 Jun 2016

Shame to see you guys go, good luck!
CB

If the other half would agree, I'd go!

T.
paulcarey 24 Jun 2016
In reply to cb294:

Don't worry, you'll see me.
I'll download the application for german citizenship today.
Moley 24 Jun 2016

Here's irony for you all.
The next village (deep in rural mid wales) doesn't have a property to use as a polling station so they bring in a kind of shipping container for the day.

Outside the polling station was a poster saying "Provided by EU funding".
That village won't be getting any more votes

> It will be interesting to see how much migration there is of pro-Europeans from England to Scotland.

I have a place in Brittany (so called after the Celts were pushed out Britain by the Anglo-Saxons) and a place in England. The plan was to move to France, set up a small business and live there permanently. I currently have no idea if I can do this after this result. The wife and I have already discussed the possibilty of moving to Scotland.

Gill scott heron sang the the revolution will not be televised - well it just has
 jon 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Doug:

> Just woke up, turned on the PC & saw the news, including the crash in Sterling. So do I apply for French citizenship or what for a independent Scotland & a Scottish passport? should I transfer my savings which are in Scotland to France now or just hope the pound will recover a bit rather than fall even further? I really had hoped 'remain' would win, even if very narrowly, but seems we will now have the 'creative destruction' some have wanted. Hopefully the UK will at least stay in the Single Market, else I'll be queuing at the Prefecture for my Carte de séjour & work permit sometime soon

Exactly the questions that we're pondering right now. I really thought folk would see sense. But no. And I didn't even have the right to vote... Makes me very angry.

When we first came here we had to get a Carte de Séjour. It took about 18 months - it was one of those endless paper chases that the French love so much. Probably with the advent of the internet that would be considerably speeded up. Some ten or fifteen years ago I lost ALL of my documents - yes, everything - which basically meant I no longer existed! Imagine my surprise - almost disappointment - when I was told that I no longer needed a Carte de Séjour!


 Roadrunner5 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

> F**k, f**k, f**k. This morning I feel embarrassed to be British.

> I suspect Scottish independence is now all but inevitable. The most shocking thing for me is that I can see circumstances in which I might actually vote for it.

For sure, I never thought we'd commit national suicide.

I was very much against scottish independence, I'm now all for it.
 Ridge 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Moley:

> Here's irony for you all.

> The next village (deep in rural mid wales) doesn't have a property to use as a polling station so they bring in a kind of shipping container for the day.

> Outside the polling station was a poster saying "Provided by EU funding".

> That village won't be getting any more votes

Every structure in Wales has a "provided by EU funding" sign.
Couldn't bring myself to post this morning... went off to the Goodwood festival of speed to enjoy myself instead, only to find a pretty somber mood there.

I'm devastated with the result at the moment, and personally poorer to the tune of a couple of thousand overnight - but I expect shares will recover slowly, not least as they are German traded.

I think Cameron is right to hand over the reins - he's not the one with the "plan". However I'll find it hard to forgive him for brining the referendum about.

It looks and sounds very much to me like the public in England have voted to kick the government as much as leave the EU. So much has been blamed on the EU that has been really due to 8 years of austerity in the UK, and perhaps if we had had an effective Labour leadership then the public would have blamed the Cons for the lack of school places, hospitals etc rather than immigration.

So devastated as I am, there's only one thing to do now - see what happens no point in panicking or losing sleep over. You never know they could be right, and in 10 years time we'll have growth that way outstrips Europe (I do have faith that the UK will be OK long term) the question for me is how much pain will we go through and for how long.

Either way, it's time for Gove (who did so well at education and justice -not) to step up and run the finances whilst Boris does his leadership bit - lets see this wonderful plan of theirs then.

I loved being European
Post edited at 19:58
Bellie 24 Jun 2016

It has been a strange day. I stayed up last night to see how things would pan out. Watching the BBC was painful.. lots of chatting about nothing as the results started, and lots of messing with graphics. So in the end I turned to this thread to keep me informed (Thanks BarmyBaldwin). After the Sunderland result I had a sense of dread and so did my chores and went to bed. This morning in and out of sleep I was going through the Financial storm that was blowing our way in my head - even though I hadn't dared get up and look up how things were going. In the end I thought I may be worrying about nothing and checked things out. Although I was expecting the worst, it was still quite a shock to think it had actually happened.

Really don't know where we go from here. I live 1 mile from the Scottish border, and have lots of business in Scotland, so that will be the next challenge should an indyref go ahead, over and above all the fallout from today.

I've avoided the emotion of the day, and just carried on regardless.

Yanis Nayu 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Bellie:

I had a period today where I genuinely thought I was dreaming.

Best reasons I've heard today from people who voted leave:

"I didn't actually think it would happen"
"I just wanted to see what would happen"

Marvellous.
 veteye 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

There has just been a girl on Five Live Radio who has said that she wishes that she could change her vote, as she had not realised that it could lose her her job.
How many more are there who just saw it as a way of showing their feelings rather than taking things truly seriously?
Fools.
 Yanis Nayu 24 Jun 2016
In reply to veteye:

Fools indeed. The whole thing depresses me on so many different levels. At least I can look my daughter in the eye and say it wasn't my fault if she emerges into the job market in the middle of a huge recession.

I have a Russian friend with whom I discuss politics. She is a proud Russian, but not nationalistic and I can criticise the Russian government and remain friends with her. She was describing to me the economic effects of Russia's externally and self-imposed isolation from the western world. It's not great for common people, and that's putting it mildly, and the idiots that voted us out of the EU may be giving us all a dose of that medicine. Yesterday I wasn't concerned about interest rates being 6% and losing my house. Today I am. Thanks morons.
Removed User 25 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
Oh deary me, another sore loser. Perhaps we should have just allowed the people who wanted to stay in to make the decision. Get over it, this is Great Britain and we live in a democracy. Yes, a democracy that voted to leave the EU. It's only a matter of time before other countries do the same. Perhaps then we can get back to the old EEC, which worked fine. Nowt wrong with co-operation with other European countries, but not the dictatorship that existed.

By the way, the leave campaign doesn't want to kick people out of the country who are working and contributing to the economy; they just want to have control of the numbers of people who are coming in. We have a finite amount of space and services. As someone else said on another thread on the forum: "It's not about race, it's about space."

As for referring people who voted to leave as "morons", you need to take a good look at your own attitude. If the vote had been to remain I would have accepted it and got on with life, without deriding those who didn't happen to agree with me. There are other opinions apart from just yours. Take a lesson from David Cameron, who was gracious in defeat. Personally, I wish he was staying as PM to see us through the leaving process. He stood by his word, gave us a referendum and accepted the result. In other words he respected the people that you labelled as morons.
 Yanis Nayu 25 Jun 2016
In reply to Removed User:

If you think someone who voted to take a gigantic risk with the future of 60 million people "Because I didn't think it would happen" isn't a moron, then I seriously question your judgement.

I'm not sure how you know what the status of those EU citizens currently living in the UK is going to be, because neither I nor friends who fit that bill can find out. Certainly we can't trust the word of those campaigning for leave - the £350 million for the NHS isn't looking quite so certain now is it?

It's not a question of being a sore loser - it's a question of being fearful of an uncertain future and angry about it.

Oh, and I don't think you should conflate what Cameron said in a public resignation speech and what he thinks in private.
Removed User 25 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I stand by what I said. I also believe in democracy, which is what gave us the leave vote. Whatever the result, I would accept it because we are a democracy and the result was obtained by a democratic vote. Try living in a dictatorship and see if you prefer that.
 Yanis Nayu 25 Jun 2016

Cool. I shall enjoy "our new-found independence", "Britain being great again" and "British sovereignty" and hope that I'm not also trying to ignore high inflation, crippling interest rates, a depressed job market for my daughter to emerge into, and a rise in overt xenophobia, while looking across my desk (if I still have a job) at someone who voted leave "to see what would happen". Oh, all while being governed by a party somewhere to the right of Mussolini.

I'm sure your steadfast belief in this triumph of democracy makes you a better person than me, but frankly, I couldn't care less.
 FreshSlate 25 Jun 2016
> I stand by what I said. I also believe in democracy, which is what gave us the leave vote. Whatever the result, I would accept it because we are a democracy and the result was obtained by a democratic vote. Try living in a dictatorship and see if you prefer that.

If you have genuniely voted leave because you think the EU is a dictatorship, then you're another example of somone who's voted because you have been led to believe the EU is something it's not.

As far as Yanus being critical of people not voting for what they actually want, the 'protest vote' and the 'f*ck it factor' these are very real failures of democracy and has historically led to a imprortionate number of votes to the BNP party etc. Liking democracy in principle and pointing out it's flaws in practice is a fair position to take.
Post edited at 10:11
 jon 25 Jun 2016

> Oh deary me, another sore loser.

No. We're all losers. You included.
 RyanOsborne 25 Jun 2016
In reply to robert-hutton:

Yet Labour voters were polling at 75% remain? If this divides down party lines (I don't think it really does) then the fault lies with the conservatives who's voters were polling at 56% leave.
Bellie 25 Jun 2016

I think whoever lost in a tight referendum was going to be shouting foul. If the result had gone the other way, you can be sure the brexiters would have been shouting just as much, claiming surrender etc. Indeed earlier on in the campaign Nigel Farage already spoke about the possibility of a second referendum should the result be close. Even on the night he mentioned the fact that if there was a tight remain win, then it would be down to the government allowing 2million extra voters after extending the deadline for voter registrations. Even the rank and file got in on the act, by suggesting the vote would be rigged by MI5 and such nonsense.

Given that, after the dust had settled on the Scottish referendum, the once in our generation call had been replaced with as soon as possible, you can bet that would have been the case from Vote Leave/UKIP with regarding to getting out again. In both cases it would seem that with these matters it is that you re-run til you get the result you want (and for some remainers too it seems).

I'm in shock about it, but there isn't much I can do other than suck it up. The day dawns just like any other, so I'm just not into wasting my life getting (too) angry about it - even if I have had a good moan about it with the OH. My own personal situation is that I will probably have to take a huge financial hit because of the result.

But life goes on. Cliched as it may be - I have my health, and a survival instinct!

Moley 25 Jun 2016
In reply to RyanOsborne:

> Yet Labour voters were polling at 75% remain? If this divides down party lines (I don't think it really does) then the fault lies with the conservatives who's voters were polling at 56% leave.

How do you (we) know this? Obviously you have the figures from somewhere but I have no idea how they came about. Exit polls perhaps?

Here in Wales, especially south Wales which is a traditional labour heartland they were voting majority exit, which means a hell of a high percentage in the rest of England must have been voting remain. Perhaps they were?
 RyanOsborne 25 Jun 2016
In reply to Moley:

The yougov polls. I think Wales was always looking pretty tight. Haven't seen a breakdown per political party in Wales, maybe the Plaid supporters were strongly for Brexit?
 veteye 25 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

It seems that we are already paying the price with banks showing signs that they will gradually run their size down over the next few years, and farm things out to Dublin and Frankfurt as London can no longer fulfil passporting of currency matters in the future.
We also will find that there is a recession very soon as businesses hold back on investment both from outwith and within this country until they see what the future set up with Europe is. In addition, are you going to go and buy that new car or other consumer goods?.....again fuelling a recession.

Democracy should not involve a seismic shift in the country in which it is based, just because one supposedly democratic party and some of its egotistical leaders were trying to hold on to/take power. I never wanted a referendum, partly because of the BNP type effect on the easily lead members of the population.

My friend's mother who is in her eighties, voted to leave, as she did not like seeing or hearing so many foreigners in Peterborough. What has that got to do with democracy?

Oh that we could just ask the question of a reasonable sample of the population whether they had anticipated the sort of change that is going to happen before the vote, and a further question, asking if they would vote the same way if they had a second vote now.
 Big Ger 25 Jun 2016
In reply to RyanOsborne:
> Yet Labour voters were polling at 75% remain? If this divides down party lines (I don't think it really does) then the fault lies with the conservatives who's voters were polling at 56% leave.

So we can dismiss those 25% of Labour voters who voted out, (and the 25 % of Green voters who voted out?) but have to include the percentage of Conservative voters who voted out as they are to blame.

Seeing as young people voted in at a lower percentage then older people, I suppose they get a free pass from culpability too?
Post edited at 23:56

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...