UKC

Hoka shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Riley 23 Jun 2016
I've won a voucher in a race for the Hoka shoes of my choice.
They seem to be about the most expensive shoes around. But they are the opposite of the shoes I normally run in.
Should I get the shoes or let someone else use the voucher (seems to be allowed).
Hoka all have the thickest soles available. My Inov8 Road-X 233 have the thinnest soles available.
I'd like another Inov8 pair. But the 233 doesn't seem to be available. I already bought a similar version and don't like them.

My reasoning for thin soles are :

1) Feet are evolved to work without any padding. So adding any is likely to cause problems rather than prevent them.

2) It must be true that lighter is better. More so on your feet, because they are constantly being accelerated and decelerated. Padding is weight (half as heavy again).

3) Padding to absorb energy must absorb energy, some of which would otherwise bounce you back up again, saving you some of the energy doing it yourself. I've been tempted to cut up some superballs to try an extra bouncy sole. I think it might improve efficiency.

The only positive thing I can think about thick soles is that I believe long legs are an advantage and they add at least an inch.

I don't train. Don't warm up. Much prefer tarmac. I only ever run race speed - less than 10 miles.

Does anyone race in Hoka shoes or have any opinions ?
 RR 24 Jun 2016
In reply to David Riley:

I find Hoka’s hard on knees due to the thick cushioning. There is a sort of unbalance that asks every time you come down for correction. For me after a second pair it is a no. But on the other side Inovs soles are thin. And there is not much (too little?) suspension in them. I like Inovs but take also a look at Raptors for trail running.
Asics DS-Racer for me on the road. Or if you have to stay with Hoka then the Clayton? For 5k runs. Also a no go for Sketchers go run. Terrible, but that is me. N=1. I have weak knees.
 wbo 24 Jun 2016
In reply to David Riley:
I'm completely undecided on Hoka. My knees are beat up from a lot of running and a few climbing injuries and I'd like to run more. These get some rave reviews and might be a solution. But in the past when I've used super cushioned shoes I've hated it, the lack of feeling, and the energy absorption making them feel like running in mud ( and not in a good way). Add to that the astounding cost and the reported lack of durability in some , I would need to find some significantly reduced.

For a couple of bur ups a week stick to what you know. I never liked super thin shoes either - sore feet screwed my running style.
OP David Riley 24 Jun 2016
In reply to RR:

Thanks, that's very perceptive and helpful. I can imagine what you are describing and it's just what I don't like.
In reply to wbo:
Running in mud, horrible. I love jumping around rocks, but I'm feeble and all about efficiency, so dislike gravel or anything soft or loose.
I don't have any injuries. My feet, legs and knees are bombproof as long as I keep the distance down.
You are confirming my thoughts that I should stick with super thin shoes. They give me less ( no ) problems. Thank you.
Post edited at 13:55
 plyometrics 24 Jun 2016
In reply to David Riley:

Try the Clifton 2. Run like a more regular shoe. They're designed for Tarmac.

I've run in Hokas for years, (had over 10 pairs) and still wear inov8s for when the going underfoot dictates it.

If you're hell bent on minimalism then sell the voucher, if you're happy trying something new without it being too wacky, then order the Clifton 2s.
 plyometrics 24 Jun 2016
In reply to David Riley:

Or the Clayton (but I've never owned a pair)

http://www.hokaoneone.eu/en/clayton/?icid=main_CTA_clayton0416
In reply to plyometrics:

Thanks I'll look at them.
 KlaasW 24 Jun 2016
In reply to David Riley:

I used to run (and still run) in thin soled shoes (Innov8 and Pearl Izumi). Last November I had a stress fracture and bought a pair of Clifton-2s to get back into form after the fracture. I absolutely (and unexpectedly!!) love them. They are very light and surprisingly responsive. Not so great off road as they don't torque very well but fantastic on trails and tarmac. Seriously, try it
 spotter1 25 Jun 2016
In reply to David Riley:

havent run in them though they have a very good name in the ultra running crowd.
people do complain that they are narrow and then cut slits where the toes protude.
but ultra people are known to be weird (or hardcore..).
they are supposed to have the some of the best cushioning:weight ratio around.
OP David Riley 25 Jun 2016
In reply to spotter1 and KlaasW

Yes, I imagine they are good if you have had an injury or run badly. I run badly if I run too far. I'm not an ultra people.
OP David Riley 29 Jul 2016
In reply to plyometrics and KlaasW:

You were right. Got the Clifton 2s today before the voucher expired.
 Roadrunner5 29 Jul 2016
In reply to David Riley:

Too late but I like the cliftons but think they led to a foot injury, I think my foot rotates too much in them.

I'd build them in slowly, don't suddebly do all your miles in them
 steelbru 29 Jul 2016
In reply to David Riley:

The Clifton's are great as a cushioned shoe, but if too much cushioning for you then try the new Clayton. Even lighter than the Clifton 2 ( about same as original Clifton ), the heel still quite cushioned, but the forefoot more responsive for toe-off. My new marathon shoe
 wbo 29 Jul 2016
In reply to David Riley: any updates from long term users on how well do they wear? In particular if you only have one pair of these and use them day in, day out, how well do they recover?

steelbru 29 Jul 2016
In reply to wbo:

I don't use one pair exclusively, but mix them up with other road and trail shoes. I've had the following :

Rapa Nui - 600 miles ( uppers ok, outsole gone )
Challenger 1 - 460 ( uppers burst, outsole pretty far gone )
Clifton 1 - 400 still going, uppers perfect, outsole pretty far gone, will aim for 500

Challenger 2 - only 70 miles
Clayton - only 10 miles
 wbo 29 Jul 2016
In reply to Thanks for that - when you say the outsole is gone are the mids ok?

How does that compare to their shoes you've used. I would admit for the price I'd expect a bit more but I wonder if I'm unrealistic
 plyometrics 29 Jul 2016
In reply to wbo:

I get about 20% less wear from cliftons (and their off-road siblings the challenger ATRs) than a more conventional road / trail shoe, but I expect that given they're so light relative to their cushioning.

Their more built up shoes like the Stinson are more robust and last just as long as you would expect from other shoes.

If I had to be critical, their main frailty does lie in their sole construction.
 Roadrunner5 30 Jul 2016
In reply to plyometrics:
I find the soles get worn too. I have them in my stable... I normally have about 7-10 pairs on the go of various shoes.

NB vazees
NB leadvilles
NB trail vazees

Clifton hokas

Brooks Cascadia

Adidas Boston boosts
Adidas Supernova

Merrel All out terra

Inov8 300s

XC Spikes
Track Spikes

They are my current shoes on the go, plus 5-10 older pairs. My wife gets moody about my shoes...
Post edited at 03:14
 SouthernSteve 30 Jul 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

You should change your username to 'Imelda Marcos'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...