UKC

We're OUT....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Indy 24 Jun 2016
Only a matter of time before Scotland leaves not to mention all the companies that kept there mouths shut. Why would car manufacturers want to stay and have to pay tariffs to sell into the EU for example.

We're all doomed.
 icnoble 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Indy:

We won't pay tariffs, the Germans won't allow it.
OP Indy 24 Jun 2016
In reply to icnoble:

> We won't pay tariffs, the Germans won't allow it.

Why?
Gone for good 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Indy:

I always thought it would be close but to be honest I thought remain would prevail. I'm pretty shocked to be honest.
 Big Ger 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Indy:

I have a spare bedroom for rent if anyone's interested?
 Wainers44 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

On my way. The dogs old and smells a bit but he's very friendly.
> I have a spare bedroom for rent if anyone's interested?

Big Ger 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Wainers44:

> On my way. The dogs old and smells a bit but he's very friendly.

I'll do you UKIP member mate's rates.
 girlymonkey 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Indy:

Well the Dutch are now hinting towards holding a referendum too, and I wouldn't be surprised if others go too. Scotland may not have an EU to go to
What a mess.
I surprised myself, and hoped that Cameron doesn't quit! I think he is an idiot, but less so than the likely alternatives at the moment!
OP Indy 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Gone for good:

Interesting to see that Europe's far right are congratulating the UK..... not hard to see why Farage is happy.
 Wainers44 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> I'll do you UKIP member mate's rates.

Cheers

Just bought some I Love Nige pants and changed all my pounds, both of them, to Aussie dollars...rate was crap?
 sbc_10 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Indy:

We're OUT....

..but we haven't played Iceland yet.

....ironic if we win the Euro footie...
 summo 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Indy:

> not hard to see why Farage is happy.

he is out of a job now, Ex MEP shortly and not an MP in the UK. So goodbye. Cameron will stay on too. Europe will wake up this morning and the EU will be forced to change for its course. All will be well in the long run, if the EU changes sufficient to prevent others exiting.
OP Indy 24 Jun 2016
In reply to girlymonkey:

It's interesting that it appears to be that the core Leave voters were 50+. Most of those younger voted to Remain.

Another case of millionaire pensioners screwing the next generation.
OP Indy 24 Jun 2016
In reply to summo:

But we couldn't join that better EU. Irony or what.
 Big Ger 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Wainers44:

> Cheers

> Just bought some I Love Nige pants and changed all my pounds, both of them, to Aussie dollars...rate was crap?

Looking good for me! Having said that, it's now $1 Au = 54p, during the GEC it was $1 Au = 68p, so not yet reached those dizzy heights.
 Big Ger 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Indy:

> Another case of millionaire pensioners screwing the next generation.

All people over 65 are millionaires and they love screwing over the young. FFS.
 summo 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Indy:

> But we couldn't join that better EU. Irony or what.

they could if it changed enough to make voters think it wanted to rejoin in the future, and as the exit and trade agreements aren't even started yet, the UK will still be linked to Europe in some form in the future. Better to be living next to stable a Euro land in 10-15 years time, than being in a collapsed EU?
 summo 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Indy:

> Another case of millionaire pensioners screwing the next generation.

yeah 60%+ of the voters in Sunderland are millionaires. You haven't been there have you?
 kipper12 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Indy:

I work as part of UK government, and a lot of my day job involves work mandated by EU Regulations, it'll certainly ba an interesting day at the office! I too am very shocked, Cameron is an idiot for calling the referendum in the first place and should resign.
 nigel baker 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Indy:

As a millionaire pensioner..HAW HAW...I voted to stay.....but we have to work with a vote that really no one had a clue what the voting meant or what it's going to mean!
But ho, I look forward to picking my own strawberries, cleaning my own car and driving it along empty streets with a new hospital on every corner!!!.........oh, and now paying even more insurance to climb in Kalymnos!!
Although Cameron should go...........do you really want Boris Johnson!!!!!!!
 Trangia 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Indy:

Glad I bought my Dollars for an upcoming holiday last week!
 veteye 24 Jun 2016
In reply to nigel baker:

I worry for my children. Mind you my daughter is studying French and Spanish, and hopefully there will be jobs in translation etc whilst the next several years of turmoil are played out.

It is true that the older generation seem to have ignored the preference of the younger generation, and will only suffer the consequences when they get ill and cannot get seen as there are less European nurse and doctors.
pasbury 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Indy:

This is f*cking Black Friday. I'm embarrassed to be English. The older generation and working class protest voters have sold us down the river. Hello Gove, Johnson, Duncan-Smith, Farage, nice to have you as our figureheads, what a bright future we have to look forward to.
 Cú Chullain 24 Jun 2016
In reply to girlymonkey:

Well, shocked as I was this morning it is utterly facinating watching events unfold.

The Dutch question is also interesting, they are as Eurosceptic as the UK and my friends in France are suggesting that if a referendum was held there the result would be similar to what we have seen this morning.

Strange days
 summo 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:

> The Dutch question is also interesting, they are as Eurosceptic as the UK and my friends in France are suggesting that if a referendum was held there the result would be similar to what we have seen this morning.

the dutch never really wanted the EU or Euro and the politicians took them in anyway. It's a surprise it has taken this long there. Mainstream politicians need to listen to their people, to stop the far right taking the lead.
 Fredt 24 Jun 2016
In reply to nigel baker:

> Although Cameron should go...........do you really want Boris Johnson!!!!!!!

So where's Nick Clegg when you need him?
 colinakmc 24 Jun 2016
In reply to sbc_10:
We'll be playing Iceland very shortly in round 2 of the Cod Wars.....that's assuming there's any cod left to fight over.
In reply to pasbury:

I cannot see how this is anything other than a comprehensive disaster, the worst day in British history for 77 years. And I fear it won't stop here: that there'll be a further break-up of Europe and ultimately of the United Kingdom itself.

No doubt the far right and the little Englanders in the provinces are thrilled by this, but in the famous words of our first Prime Minister, Sir Robert Walpole:

'They may ring the bells now, but they will soon be wringing their hands.'
 summo 24 Jun 2016
In reply to colinakmc:

> We'll be playing Iceland very shortly in round 2 of the Cod Wars.....that's assuming there's any cod left to fight over.

I presume you know Iceland controls its own fisheries and wants nothing to do with eu integration? We are effectively on the same side, a future northern European alliance of independent trading nations?
 Fraser 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Trangia:

> Glad I bought my Dollars for an upcoming holiday last week!

Let's see if that smirk is quite so wide the day after you return.
 JoshOvki 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Trangia:

I am gutted I didn't buy Francs yesterday.

toad 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Indy: that's it. By coincidence, I'm off to France this afternoon. Thank god I've bought my Euro already. See you in a week if they let me back in.

Removed User 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Well put.
 MargieB 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Indy
another knock on effect in response to this may be an emphasis on constitutional reform as part of general election manifestos. It could be seen as an opportunity to progress federalism and upper house reform as we fallback onto essentially party politics to reflect opinion and say green values.
 Andy Johnson 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Indy:

Guardian reporting that Cameron has resigned
 nigel baker 24 Jun 2016
In reply to nigel baker:

..................Oh, I forgot, when you think it couldn't get any worse...Trumps on the horizon!!!!
 Cú Chullain 24 Jun 2016
In reply to summo:

> the dutch never really wanted the EU or Euro and the politicians took them in anyway. It's a surprise it has taken this long there. Mainstream politicians need to listen to their people, to stop the far right taking the lead.

At the risk of falling into 'I told you so' territory’ something in Europe was going to break sooner or later, the rise of nationalist popular votes across the continent over the last several years served notice to Brussels that an increasing number of people were becoming indifferent at best and disillusioned at worse with the direction of the EU, these sentiments were largely ignored as mere protest vote or just those expressing their discontent labelled as racist bigot thickos.

Fark Cameron stepping down in October!!
 Cú Chullain 24 Jun 2016

With all due respect how can you possibly label 17,410,742 people as far right little Englanders, it is this kind of bullsh*t language that has marginalised vast swathes of the population.
 FreshSlate 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Trangia:

> Glad I bought my Dollars for an upcoming holiday last week!

I did not, 3 week trip to America cancelled.
 Trangia 24 Jun 2016
In reply to pasbury:

> The older generation have sold us down the river.

Not me - don't generalise. I'm gutted
In reply to nigel baker:
> ..................Oh, I forgot, when you think it couldn't get any worse...Trumps on the horizon!!!!

Stuck in the middle with you . . . .

Trump ----- Johnson ----- Putin

The future's bright!
Post edited at 09:05
 Ridge 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:

> With all due respect how can you possibly label 17,410,742 people as far right little Englanders, it is this kind of bullsh*t language that has marginalised vast swathes of the population.

Don't forget every single one is a millionaire pensioner too!
 MG 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:

> With all due respect how can you possibly label 17,410,742 people as far right little Englanders,

He didn't. But FRLEs will almost exclusively be in the 17m
In reply to Ridge:
currently right now FTSE is best performing market in EU compared to CAC DAX IBEX AEX FTSE MIB.
Post edited at 09:04
 Cú Chullain 24 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

> He didn't. But FRLEs will almost exclusively be in the 17m

No, he just heavily implied it.
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> currently right now FTSE is best performing market in EU compared to CAC DAX IBEX AEX FTSE MIB.

Yeah, but that's like being the only guy with a spade in a shit shovelling competition!
 MG 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

a) It is still down 5% b) It is much more a global than a British market so less affected by the result than the others. c) the UK-centric FTSE 250 is down 11%, worse than the others.
 Fredt 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Indy:

This is all very sad, but it was never a black and white issue. We should now make sure that if we can't take advantage of the benefits of remaining, we must take every advantage from leaving.
 wercat 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Trangia:

> Not me - don't generalise. I'm gutted

me too - I told my wife I was heartbroken just before Tim Farron came on R4 and used the same term. We 16M+ should do something about it!

Even little sports and social clubs are bound not to make silly constitutional changes except by enhanced majority so how much more careful and legally protected should we have made our national constitution. I think we're run and now ruined by idiots
 wercat 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Fredt:

you can be sure the Bankers will!

My wife has heard from various friends and family how much noise there is in Germany from Frankfurt expecting to become the new financial centre of choice
 tony 24 Jun 2016
In reply to summo:

> he is out of a job now, Ex MEP shortly and not an MP in the UK. So goodbye. Cameron will stay on too.

You were saying ...
 John2 24 Jun 2016
In reply to wercat:

It's called democracy. I'm sure you wouldn't be in favour of an enhanced majority if the vote had gone the other way.
 nniff 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Trangia:

> Not me - don't generalise. I'm gutted

This household too - two 50 + and three 24+

Two worrying about the independent school (aka a small business) that one runs and the other works in, that is dependent upon a number of large international businesses nearby. They were due to have a management meetings next week to talk about plans for expansion - might be a different agenda now.

Another works in compliance in insurance - currently working on Insurance Premium Tax, which is EU driven

Another's a vet - he's pretty neutral

Me? - well, it couldn't be more of a disaster from my perspective. A client's decision was due yesterday, but got postponed by a week when things started to get fraught. If it goes the wrong way, which is a distinct possibility now, I'll lose a lot of money personally, as will my firm, and I will probably be out of a job to boot.

And Cameron's going, and probably Osborne too. And that leaves who to preside over the decline to the People's Independent Democratic Republic of England and Wales?

Grand Imperial F......g disaster. Turkeys voting for Christmas because someone told them that New Year's a blast.

Still, apparently this is an opportunity. Best make the most of it I suppose, but it's the biggest upheaval in my working life. And my new bike is going to cost more. Smile and wave.
 MargieB 24 Jun 2016
In reply to girlymonkey:
I wondered that too, about Europe as the EU continuing
It is all shifting for better or worse.
You could argue that it shifted as a result of the syrian crisis. EU seemed unweildy in response to this crisis and eastern european states reverted to nation svereign state behaviour andput up borders physically themselves.
Post edited at 10:08
 john arran 24 Jun 2016
In reply to wercat:

> you can be sure the Bankers will!

> My wife has heard from various friends and family how much noise there is in Germany from Frankfurt expecting to become the new financial centre of choice

I would have thought that much to be plainly obvious, and frankly perfectly justified.
 Cú Chullain 24 Jun 2016
In reply to wercat:

> you can be sure the Bankers will!

> My wife has heard from various friends and family how much noise there is in Germany from Frankfurt expecting to become the new financial centre of choice

In fairness Frankfurt has spent the last 20 years trying to become the new financial centre of choice and has failed miserably. I would be very surprised if The City breaks up. There are two genuinely global financial centres in the world, London and New York, but only one of them is located in the "right" time zone. I find it hard to believe the suggestion that financial institutions are going to get up and leave to got to a city slightly larger then Bristol in a Country with higher tax rates.
MrWayne 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Indy:

Did it ever occur to you that

1) younger voters tend to turn into euro sceptic voters as they age

2) older voters are voting for what they think is best for the country and their children not just themselves

Get off your high horse. This is democracy.
In reply to MrWayne:

The only people who are on a 'high horse' now are the Leavers. There is much gloom in London and Europe, which is not helped by Donald Trump declaring 'It's a great thing.'
KevinD 24 Jun 2016
In reply to MrWayne:

> 1) younger voters tend to turn into euro sceptic voters as they age

evidence?

> 2) older voters are voting for what they think is best for the country and their children not just themselves

Amazing. So self interest at all. Most be the only people who think that way.

summo 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:

> At the risk of falling into 'I told you so' territory’ something in Europe was going to break sooner or later, the rise of nationalist popular votes across the continent over the last several years served notice to Brussels that an increasing number of people were becoming indifferent at best and disillusioned at worse with the direction of the EU, these sentiments were largely ignored as mere protest vote or just those expressing their discontent labelled as racist bigot thickos.

The EU has had two years to reform and what little it offered Cameron in Dec15 shows they were or are out of touch, or just too arrogant to admit total European integration within a generation was not going to work. The outcome today/yesterday is neither fault of Cameron or the Brexiters, but the EU's other leaders unwillingness to listen to years of nagging for change and reform to cater for individual needs around the union.

Many other countries leaders will now blame the UK for the hard times ahead in the EU, but it's their own unwillingness to compromise in the negotiations that triggered it all. If they don't change now, then they'll allow the far right to gain more ground, causing trouble in the future. Blair and Brown carry some responsibility as they were EU lap dogs for 3 terms, signing treaties etc..., when they should have been forcing some level of reform.
cragtaff 24 Jun 2016
In reply to summo:

I think the result is a massive wake up call for Europe. I suspect there will be some contagion with a couple of other countries wanting a referendum to follow suite. The result - EU does some reflection, looks carefully at constitution and the fears of member nations, makes a few conciliatory changes and appeases a lot of people, UK has another referendum in a year or so and we become EU members again before our exit is even under way.
 Pete Pozman 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Indy:

Gisela, you do realise who is taking control now, don't you?
 summo 24 Jun 2016
In reply to cragtaff:

> I think the result is a massive wake up call for Europe. I suspect there will be some contagion with a couple of other countries wanting a referendum to follow suite. The result - EU does some reflection, looks carefully at constitution and the fears of member nations, makes a few conciliatory changes and appeases a lot of people, UK has another referendum in a year or so and we become EU members again before our exit is even under way.

If the EU doesn't change then La Penn and Wilders will gain power, or more power. It is one thing for a centre right party in the UK to push for independence, it's another for the EU to ignore the warning signs and let far right nutters in.

Any changes need to be much bigger now to justify another vote, than they would have been in Dec15 if they'd made them in the first place. A tough lesson for the EU to learn.
 Cú Chullain 24 Jun 2016
In reply to summo:

Yup, on the plus side Matchbook were offering Brexit odds of 38/5 last night so stuck a cheeky £20 on that.
 wercat 24 Jun 2016
In reply to John2:

Actually my assertion is based on my knowledge of constitutional law (Durham) and of course you don't need to have an enhanced majority for keeping the status quo! That is the idea of entrenched legislation nitwit! So you are very very wrong
OP Indy 24 Jun 2016
In reply to MrWayne:
> 2) older voters are voting for what they think is best for the country and their children not just themselves

What freaking planet are you on?
 RomTheBear 24 Jun 2016
In reply to wercat:

Yep, problem is, at this point, I don't think we woudl be let back in.

I think everybody in the EU is now very sad, but for once they are all saying the same thing: ok, you made a historical mistake, but now we have no choice but to let you go and look after our own interests.

I spoke to some friends abroad on the phone, in Italy, Spain and family in France. The general feeling is disbelief and sadness, it affected them emotionally a lot more than I would have thought.
It think something is now broken, and it will take time to heal.
In reply to summo:
What is this magic 'reform' of the EU you keep on talking about? All you have done is foster and promote a fragmented Europe. I haven't seen any concrete, meaningful suggestions coming from you. Which suggests to me that all you want is what we're now probably going to get: a fragmented Europe of squabbling nation states. I.e. Back to the situation prior to the Great War. And even worse, a break-up of the United Kingdom. How can you be proud of this concept? I suggest you clarify your position very quickly, because it seems you've been spouting for many hours [I've been away all day so have only been able to skim check a few threads], and I'm sure the majority of UKCers have got heartily tired of your smug voice by now.
Post edited at 20:54
 jkarran 24 Jun 2016
In reply to John2:

> It's called democracy. I'm sure you wouldn't be in favour of an enhanced majority if the vote had gone the other way.

Erm, that's not how enhanced majority voting works, you need broad consent to make a change, not to maintain the status quo.
jk
 jkarran 24 Jun 2016
In reply to cragtaff:

> I think the result is a massive wake up call for Europe. I suspect there will be some contagion with a couple of other countries wanting a referendum to follow suite. The result - EU does some reflection, looks carefully at constitution and the fears of member nations, makes a few conciliatory changes and appeases a lot of people, UK has another referendum in a year or so and we become EU members again before our exit is even under way.

You're in cloud cuckoo land! There is no second referendum, no olive branch from Europe, out is out and they'll quite justifiably make the parting hurt to prevent contagion. If we go back in it's on their terms, no rebate, Euro, free labour market... it's simply not happening.
jk
 RomTheBear 24 Jun 2016
In reply to summo:

I was reading the foreign press today.
The general tone is : WTF ?

The only congratulations for our fantastic Brexit I could find come from :

Marine Lepen
Liga nord
Geers wilder
Iran
Russia
Donald Trump

Need I say more.
OP Indy 24 Jun 2016
In reply to RomTheBear:

> I was reading the foreign press today.

> The general tone is : WTF ?

> The only congratulations for our fantastic Brexit I could find come from :

> Marine Lepen

> Liga nord

> Geers wilder

> Iran

> Russia

> Donald Trump

> Need I say more.

How could You forget Farage in company like that? Shame on you.
 summo 24 Jun 2016
> [I've been away all day so have only been able to skim check a few threads],

been away all day, drinking? ranting.....? Calm down a little please. I exercised my democratic right, should I have voted how you told me to? I suspect I've been on here 15 mins in total today, posted a few times, that's it. It's midsummer here, so I've been busy with more important things than worrying about how the ftse100 closed higher today, that last Friday.

ps. midsummer is celebrated on the Friday after or nearest the real mid summer, unlike the UK people don't mid week party as the alcohol driving threshold is about the same as a wine gum.
Post edited at 22:29
Lusk 24 Jun 2016
In reply to summo:

Forgive them summo, for they cannot help themselves.
They just can't stop the scaremongering, the jack boots WILL be marching down your street any time soon!
Jim C 30 Jun 2016
In reply to MrWayne:

> Did it ever occur to you that
> 1) younger voters tend to turn into euro sceptic voters as they age
> Get off your high horse. This is democracy.

Maybe the intellectually superior Bremainers should have an enhanced vote perhaps based on a points system, on a sliding scale of educational qualification, and IQ.
(And whole extra vote for general self importance, and feelings of superiority. )

Moley 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Jim C:

> Maybe the intellectually superior Bremainers should have an enhanced vote perhaps based on a points system, on a sliding scale of educational qualification, and IQ.

> (And whole extra vote for general self importance, and feelings of superiority. )

I'll go with that, a double whammy win, I'm classed as intellectually superior + we win. Bonza.
 Roadrunner5 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Moley:
I'd be up for that.

Everyone gets a vote, 2 for a BA, 3 for a BSc (more analytical), 5 with a PhD.
 NathanP 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Jim C:

I firmly believe in "one man - one vote". Just so long as I am the one man with that vote.

(Apologies to Terry Pratchett.)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...