UKC

Hiking up to the Jungfraujoch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roger Burrows 24 Jun 2016
Hi, me and some friends are in the Alps this months and will be going to attempt Monch and Jungfrau. I've looked into getting the train up and worked out it will cost me around £150 for a return.

Does anyone know if it's possible to hike this and save that money? And if so what's the terrain like? I imagine it's a long way as the train is one and a half hours. But could you spread it over two days? Bivi somewhere enroute.

Thanks

Roger
 jon 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Roger Burrows:

If you value your holiday time, take the train. In the long run it will save you money. Especially if you have to snatch a good weather window.

Or climb the Mönch via the Nollen. Then Jungfrau the next day.

Or walk in from the Grimsel. Or up the Aletschgletscher. Or in from Lötchental. Any of these three options will take 2 > 3 days.
 MG 24 Jun 2016

You can't hike, really, from Grindlewald. The most direct route is jon's suggestion of the Nollen on the Monch which is AD. There is also the Inner Rottal ridge on the Jungfrau - very worthwhile but long and also AD.

The old "walking" route via the Bergli hut is apparently not feasible anymore due to the state of the glacier.
OP Roger Burrows 24 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

Thanks very much. Will bare that in mind.
OP Roger Burrows 24 Jun 2016
In reply to jon:

Thanks very much Jon. I shall probably get the train then!
cb294 24 Jun 2016

Can only recommend the walk in from the South/ East. Good for acclimatizing at around 3500 m. Going up to Eiger or Mönch from Grindelwald first thing is going to be hard.
You could take the bus up to the Grimsel pass, walk to Oberaarhornhütte, do Oberaarhorn before breakfast, return to the hut for breakfast, and hike across to Finsteraarhornhütte, then do one more summit from there on the way across to Jungfraujoch. It is of course possible to skip either of these huts, Grimsel pass to Jungfraujoch is easily doable in two days, one day only at push.

CB
 jon 24 Jun 2016
In reply to cb294:

> ... one day only at push.

One enormous push, that is!

wercat 24 Jun 2016

Have you investigated the Swisscard rail discount?

Always use that. Includes full cost of rail travel on day of arrival and on day of departure in and out of Switzerland, half price on rail journeys in between and quite good discounts on Jungfrau and other mountain rail systems, cable cars and post bus. Pays for itself after a short time if you are travelling on public transport.
cb294 24 Jun 2016
In reply to jon:

I know, easier on skis.

CB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...