UKC

So what IS going to happen?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MG 24 Jun 2016
Something like:

Gove becomes PM
Negotiates EEA or similar membership
Fudges immigration issue so we end up much where we are now
Election Gove vs Corbyn....?
Scotland: depends on what happens in rest of EU and negotiation above?
In reply to MG:

Lets no be hasty, we can make it up as we go along
 SenzuBean 24 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

France will look at their border controls at Calais and think... "hmmm, what's the harm in relaxing things a bit....". They might even think now's a good economic time to open a lax-security dinghy storage place too.
 stella1 24 Jun 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

Made me chuckle.
In reply to SenzuBean:

> France will look at their border controls at Calais and think...

Hollande has already mooted that and he has also said they would not allow British border controls on French soil. Why would the French want to carry on paying millions a day to keep a problem out of the UK now?

Allez-vous faire foutre petit anglais!
 zebidee 24 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

> Election Gove vs Corbyn....?

Well this part now seems less likely.
 Cú Chullain 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Hugh J:

Well I imagine the ferries will have to adpot an airline style system whereby passports will be checked to see if you have an appropiate visa that allows you entry into the UK. I find it hard to believe that P&O/Sea France will be just allowed by the UK Border Agency to just drop the ramp and let the Jungle Camp embark.
In reply to Cú Chullain:

If you hadn't noticed there's a big hole under The Channel and 22 miles ain't that far go go in a row-boat if you're that desperate.
 Trangia 24 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

I don't think you should bring IS into this, we've got enough problems without them......
Bellie 24 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:
Scotland: Trump lands in Scotland, Tweets on how good it is that UK got its country back, then again that everyone in Scotland is so excited about Brexit. Dumb as soup that one. Do you think they might explain to him the significance of the yellow (remain) on the Scotland map.
Post edited at 14:01
 Cú Chullain 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Hugh J:
> If you hadn't noticed there's a big hole under The Channel and 22 miles ain't that far go go in a row-boat if you're that desperate.

Well good luck rowing through one of the worlds busiest shipping lanes, strong currents and not the most reliable seafaring conditions in an overloaded cheapo rubber raft.....and no I am not celebrating the fact people will probably die trying.

As for the tunnel are you seriously suggesting that France will turn a blind eye to hundreds of migrants strolling through it?
Post edited at 14:06
 JLS 24 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

Och, we'll be back in EU-lite before we've even finished exiting bloat-ware EU-pro.
It'll all be fine. I never used half the functions in EU-pro. I mean, who really cares what shape bananas come?
So long as F5 still turns on free trade and F7 still turns borders on, I think Lite will be good enough.
In reply to MG:

On a slight tangent won’t we all need new passports and driving licenses too? As they are plastered with EU stuff….
 elsewhere 24 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:
We already have EEA membership
 Ridge 24 Jun 2016
In reply to JLS:

That may be a posibility.

The UK is, (to quote a great line from Gary Younge in the Graun), "Like the dog who chases the car only to amaze itself by catching it". A lot of people, including those who voted Brexit, woke up this morning and went "Oh f*ck".

A lot of people in charge of the EU also woke up this morning and went "Oh f*ck".

There will be a lot going on behind the scenes.
paulcarey 24 Jun 2016
In reply to elsewhere:

Yeah but only through the EU. Once we we leave the EU that goes.

According to the font of all knowledge, wikipedia, membership of the EEA is open to EU and Efta member states.
 Xharlie 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:

If you think refugees fleeing a war-torn country wouldn't row the channel, given half a chance, you have clearly never met a real refugee or you vastly underestimate the capabilities of an average human forced to fight to survive. These guys are desperate. Not "tea pots empty and we're out of milk" desperate. Proper desperate.
KevinD 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Xharlie:

> If you think refugees fleeing a war-torn country wouldn't row the channel

I guess if we f*ck up the UK enough they will decide to stop at France.

for the OP:
god knows. If I thought I had a good idea I would be laughing all the way to the bank whilst the bookies curse my name.
 Shani 24 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

Remember when Iceland said they were going to default on their debt and jail the bankers, and were told that 'the markets' would burn them? Well, the markets flocked to the new debt free country and although there are some problems, they worked through them. Same will happen with Brexit; whatever the talk, always follow the money as that is what the markets do.

I do expect a break up of the UK. Hopefully we'll get an independent England and republic to boot.
 FactorXXX 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Xharlie:

If you think refugees fleeing a war-torn country wouldn't row the channel

Is France at war?
Bellie 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Shani:
Some problems... like the many icelanders who lost their savings.
Post edited at 15:11
 Goucho 24 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

Mrs G first thing this morning...

"What's all the fuss about? This is just a normal Friday in Italian politics."
OP MG 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Shani:

Like when the markets all bet on Bremain?
 Shani 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Bellie:

> Some problems... like the many icelanders who lost their savings.

Oh, don't get me wrong, it was messy, but as the OECD notes for Iceland 2016:

"The economy continues its robust expansion, driven by strong private consumption growth, a terms-of-trade boost and a boom in tourism. Large investments in energy-intensive projects and continued strong wage growth are fuelling domestic demand. The capital controls introduced during the financial crisis will begin to be lifted in 2016.

Inflation has been modest in early 2016 at around 2%, and has been held down by exchange rate appreciation and falling energy prices. However, underlying inflationary pressures are strong and monetary policy should therefore remain tight, which will slow growth in 2017. Fiscal policy is eased in 2016, but still targets a primary surplus, which coupled with windfall receipts arising from the lifting of capital controls will bring down government debt."
In reply to Cú Chullain:

> Well good luck rowing through one of the worlds busiest shipping lanes, strong currents and not the most reliable seafaring conditions in an overloaded cheapo rubber raft.....and no I am not celebrating the fact people will probably die trying.

A bit like the Straits of Bosporus then.
 wintertree 24 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

I hope that we see a needs- and points- based inwards migration system rolled out, that treats people of the whole world equally, rather than giving a free pass based on membership of a sub-set of European nations. Handled well, this could turn inwards migration into a far more powerful force for good within the UK, and one that could strengthen human links on a global scale.

I hope such a change would put a stop to inwards migration for minimum wage level jobs. As well as being a form of unsustainable exploitation that just delays but increases the eventual economic and social problems, I think and hope this current practice lies at the heart of a lot of the anti-immigration sentiment amongst people rather than outright racism, and that social attitudes can move on and heal.

It wouldn't surprise me if however ...

> Fudges immigration issue so we end up much where we are now
 DerwentDiluted 24 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

Looks like the Font / V bouldering grade thing is now officially put to bed.
 cander 24 Jun 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:
I just don't get it - France is a highly civilised place to live, their food is cracking and the wine is pretty good too. So why are they all queuing up at Calais to come here - someone should tell them they're better off in France, or is it something to do with our benefits system?
 Cú Chullain 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Hugh J:

Not really. Crossing the Bosporus takes you from Turkey to erm Turkey. If you are referring to crossing from say Bodrum to Kos (Greece) then that journey is treacherous enough in a rubber dingy despite being a mere 8 - 10 miles from Turkey. I know this as I have sailed these waters myself. At the risk of bragging I have also sailed extensively in the channel and the latter is way worst then the med in terms of traffic, strong tides, winds and swell. I am not suggesting people are not going to try, I just think the odds of survival of even getting as far as UK waters in an unsuitable craft are not great.
 pec 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Xharlie:

> If you think refugees fleeing a war-torn country wouldn't row the channel, given half a chance, you have clearly never met a real refugee or you vastly underestimate the capabilities of an average human forced to fight to survive. >

But the logistics of rowing the channel haven't changed as a result of Brexit so why are so few doing it now?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...