UKC

Keeping a duck as pet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 24 Jun 2016
The wife wishes to adopt an orphan duck . Yes really . We don't have a pond but I suppose we could build one. Any thoughts ?
 wercat 24 Jun 2016
In reply to mike123:

can't help you but I'd love to do something like that!
 FactorXXX 24 Jun 2016
In reply to mike123:

Any thoughts ?

She's quackers!
OP mike123 24 Jun 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:
Goes without saying . But yes....
Post edited at 12:44
 wercat 24 Jun 2016
In reply to mike123:

but thank you for giving me something much nicer to think of this morning. Could it become the official UKC Duck?
 dale1968 24 Jun 2016
In reply to mike123:

Flock animals, would need a friend.... Or two...
 Hat Dude 24 Jun 2016
In reply to mike123:

It's not bright green and wearing a nappy is it?
OP mike123 24 Jun 2016
In reply to wercat:
I suppose I could ask Alan . Listen mate , I know your feeling a bit p!ssed off this morning, but this is really important ....
 nutme 24 Jun 2016
I never had pet duck, but my parents used to grow them for meat, but here it goes from my memories:

Much less angry compared to goose, but will still bite. Males bite more than females.
Grow super fast, so they don't stay cute for long.
As any bird they don't control their asses. It may and will poop everywhere. Worse than chicken, but better than goose. On a bright side birds poop is not that smelly.
Tend to fly away. We used to cut feathers on the wings. Not sure if that will be acceptable for a pet. Or even legal in UK.
 SenzuBean 24 Jun 2016
In reply to mike123:

> The wife wishes to adopt an orphan duck . Yes really . We don't have a pond but I suppose we could build one. Any thoughts ?

I'll take care of the duck, don't worry. I'll send you the bill afterwards.
ruffydd 24 Jun 2016
In reply to mike123:
We've have had three ducks (and hens) for about 10 years. Specifically regarding the ducks, for us and where we live, to keep them alive has been a major commitment. We have a pond but they do not sleep on it - for their safety from predators, we have always kept them in a barn at night. We have to herd them in every night at dusk- they do not go by themselves. That's *every* night, 365 days a year. One day we got back after dark after visiting family and one had been taken by a fox. We found the pile of feathers in the field behind us. We now have two.

The eggs were great, but they're too old for eggs now and when they go, they won't be replaced.

Hens on the other hand are simple. They go to bed by themselves and with an automatic pop-hole door opener are virtually independent.

Go with hens is my advice - unless you don't go out much

Edited for typo
Post edited at 13:05
 Dom Whillans 24 Jun 2016
In reply to mike123:

hmmm, think this question was covered in series 2 of the wire.
 cander 24 Jun 2016
In reply to mike123:
If you have a pond it will go green and slimy - do no why but ducks make them like that, and they'll eat all the pond plants. As pointed out duck poo comes with a duck, but otherwise as long as your gardens big enough why not. quack quack!
 LastBoyScout 24 Jun 2016
In reply to mike123:

Friend of mine used to have Chinese runner ducks - fairly easy to look after, don't need a pond as such.
OP mike123 24 Jun 2016
In reply to mike123:
I have said yes . Provided we call it Brexit .
Edit : the op was genuine and not set up so I could say this .
Post edited at 14:49
 two_tapirs 24 Jun 2016
In reply to mike123:

Could be quite pricey - think of the bill

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...