UKC

Poll: If your company asked to to vote a particular way......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Harris 24 Jun 2016
Apologies for starting the millionth thread on the topic.

If you got an email from your employer saying "Please vote for xxx, it's in the best interests of the company".

Would you:

1. Ignore it and vote as you were going to anyway.

2. Be influenced to vote as per the the company line.

3. Be influenced to vote against the company line.

marsbar 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Chris Harris:

It would depend if I thought my job was on the line I guess. I won't be told what to do, but if they gave their reasons I would consider it.
KevinD 24 Jun 2016

1)
and I did get an email.
 john arran 24 Jun 2016

It's a secret ballot. They can request but cannot insist. In reality it's really not far removed from Alan putting a political Comment piece on here, nor indeed from any newspaper doing likewise in print. If you own a business and can reach a large number of people with a message and a plea for something you feel passionately about you certainly could be excused for using whatever channels you had available.
OP Chris Harris 24 Jun 2016
In reply to john arran:

> It's a secret ballot. They can request but cannot insist.

Yes, I know. That wasn't the question.
 Dax H 24 Jun 2016

I did exactly the opposite in my firm.
I voted out, various reasons why and being a xenophobic racist isn't one of them.
Most of my employees said they were going to vote out and when I asked why the normal answer was to stop immigration and because the EU has never done anything for them.

My reply was that immigration keeps most of the factories who's machines we service staffed and running and without a large labour pool lots of our customers would close down leading us to job cuts.
I also pointed out that the sick, holiday, maternity, paternity pay and entitlements are mostly EU driven and a hell of a lot of the employment laws that stop me sacking and abusing them are EU driven too.
 MG 24 Jun 2016

Consider it along with all the other information coming in
 The New NickB 24 Jun 2016

I would not vote a certain way, because my employer asked me to. If they set out reasons why they thought I should vote a certain way, I would fully consider the reasons.

I would be more likely to take my employers advice if I worked for Nissan than if I worked for JD Wetherspoon. Primarily, because of my suspicions of their motives.
 gethin_allen 25 Jun 2016

My employer sends around a weekly digest of happenings and added to one that the boss would like everyone to consider where the funding for x y and z came from and how leaving the eu would affect future funding of similar projects. Basically asking people to vote in. This had no bearing on my decision to vote in as I already knew the importance of eu funding and freedom of movement to my profession and was certain to vote in anyway.
If I'd been asked to vote out I'd have ignored them unless they were persuasive enough to truly change my opinion

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...