UKC

Blair-Brown...Cameron-?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 24 Jun 2016
So.....when Brown replaced Blair as PM the Tories were in uproar complaining about this.....now they are doing the same....where are the Tory protests now??
 Yanis Nayu 24 Jun 2016
In reply to abr1966:

There should be (morally I mean) a general election later in the year.
Removed User 24 Jun 2016
In reply to abr1966:

In Paxmans book about the politicians he remarked that being Prime Minister in Britain always ended in tears for the incumbent (except for one Alec Douglas Hume - he didnt want the job anyway). It seems to be a self fulfilling prophecy. Being England Football Manager seems a better deal - you get a better payout when you are sacked (inevitable - even if you win these days).
 Pete Pozman 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Removed Userjess13:

-Johnson. Apparently he is very witty (although I've never laughed at a single thing he has ever done or said) which should be really useful as he re-negotiates our relationships withe rest of the world.
History will not be kind to Cameron. He was a nice enough bloke but as it turns out, utterly guileless and incompetent.
Johnson will do well to avoid getting us into a war.
 Doug 25 Jun 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I had a meeting yesterday with someone who knows Stanley Johnston (Boris's father) - seems he is more than a little annoyed with his son, and asking himself where he went wrong.
 galpinos 25 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Why? We voted in the conservatives? We vote for a party and their policies, not their leader?

(I'm playing devil's advocate a but here....)
barrow_matt 25 Jun 2016
In reply to abr1966:

You should be asking where are the Labour protests! Do they really want another general election right now?
 mountainbagger 25 Jun 2016
In reply to galpinos:

> Why? We voted in the conservatives? We vote for a party and their policies, not their leader?

> (I'm playing devil's advocate a but here....)

I agree that a lot of traditional conservatives vote for the party regardless and that, in theory, you are correct. In reality though, I think a lot of the middle ground voted for the (moderate) leadership of Cameron rather than the party specifically. In that respect, it is ironic that, after we complained about unelected Brussels bureaucrats, we may now find our country led by a person nobody voted for.
 Chris the Tall 25 Jun 2016
In reply to abr1966:

Empty vessels make the most noise!

You vote for an MP, not the PM, that's how our constitution has evolved. The unusual aspect about Gordon Brown was that it was uncontested, so no election of any sort. This was seized upon by opponents, but in fact everyone knew this was going to happen at the previous election, so really it was less of an issue than if there was a contest.

Now changing your leader in a coup d'etat the day after an election - that would be pretty dodgy. It's how Ken became leader of the GLC in the 80s
KevinD 25 Jun 2016
In reply to abr1966:

> So.....when Brown replaced Blair as PM the Tories were in uproar complaining about this

Then again there is a long tradition of it not happening eg after Thatcher and several others.
Plus if they shout about it they may actually get taken up on it. Would you want to be in charge for the next couple of years?
Chances of there being at least one thing which pisses the public off is rather high and the party in charge would get the blame even if it logically it was an inevitable consequence.
OP abr1966 25 Jun 2016
In reply to barrow_matt:

> You should be asking where are the Labour protests! Do they really want another general election right now?

Course they don't! I've said all along....give it another 6-12 months and there will be a leadership change in the Labour Party. A contest between Ben, Umuna and Hunt...
OP abr1966 25 Jun 2016
In reply to KevinD:

Agreed....
 Pete Pozman 25 Jun 2016
In reply to abr1966:

Corbyn must go now.
 Baron Weasel 25 Jun 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> Corbyn must go now.

Outside of your little bubble there's plenty of folk sharpening their pencils ready to vote for Corbyn.
In reply to galpinos:

> Why? We voted in the conservatives? We vote for a party and their policies, not their leader?

Er -- The Tories were elected by a minority of the British electorate due to a skewed electoral system. If the British public had not decided to punish the Lib Dems for having the courage to form a coalition in the previous parliament to guarantee 5 years of stability following the finincial crash, we would not have had a Tory government this time round with a mandate to call a referendum.

We reap what we sow.

RyanOsborne 25 Jun 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> Corbyn must go now.

Everyone's saying this, but no-one's really got any reasons why. Labour voters voted remain by 75% to 25%, the same percentages as the SNP yet no-one is saying that Nicola Sturgeon must go because not enough SNP voters backed remain.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...