UKC

Simond Alpinism Jacket. Any good?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kahti 24 Jun 2016
I've finally had to retire my battered old shell this year, as well as my softshell salopettes. I am planning on buying the Simond Alpinism Trousers after reading lots of good things about them, but I also noticed their Alpinism jacket. Looks pretty good and Aquaguard (maybe not official YKK but at least large toothed) main zipper on a £130 jacket is awesome. Not as much press out there on it as the trews though.

So anyone have any experience?

Main priorities for me are hard wearing and with a decent hood (the Paramo ones being my favourite, for comparison).

Breathability is important but the jacket will only be worn in really minging weather. I have a windshell for the rest of the time. So doesn't have to be Neoshell levels of breathable, anything close to eVent or Pro shell and I'll accept a bit of sweatiness.

Cheers,
Kahti
 Andy Cloquet 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Kahti:

Have a look at Decathlon's range - some items are superb. I have a pair of Simond's Alpine salopettes heading to Switzerland for their third trip.
In reply to Andy Cloquet:

I suspect your dislikes are because Simond is Decathlon...

Sadly, I have no experience of the jacket to offer.
 Timmd 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Kahti:

Aquaguard is a YKK vislon zip.

http://www.ykkfastening.com/products/zipper/vislon_zipper/aquaguard_vislon....

I might be interested in that jacket for that price with a decent zip.
 Timmd 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Kahti:
> Breathability is important but the jacket will only be worn in really minging weather. I have a windshell for the rest of the time. So doesn't have to be Neoshell levels of breathable, anything close to eVent or Pro shell and I'll accept a bit of sweatiness.

> Cheers,

> Kahti

It's not directly comparable, but I can remember when wearing my Marmot Precip from during the mid noughties, it wasn't very breathable at all to be honest, but during intense activity I found that my perspiration would go through my ultrafleece fleece, and harbour within the gap between the outside of it and the inside of my Precip before eventually working it's way out. Which made me realise if you have something under it which stops your sweat from making you feel cold by touching your skin - you can still be warm and things in something only vaguely breathable.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/alpinism-light-mens-jacket-id_8224158.html?pup=r...

Looks like you can vent using the two front pockets.
Post edited at 20:04
OP Kahti 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Ah yeah Vislon is what I meant. Doesn't say it is on the Decathlon site, but it's the same style, with "teeth" rather than wire. Wire zippers are always the first thing to go on every jacket I've owned.

The Alpinism light one you linked to is a wire zipper, this is the one I had in mind: www.decathlon.co.uk/alpinism-mens-jacket-orange-id_8304317.html Generally looks better designed than the light, although I'd rather just have two chest pockets than the handwarmer ones.

My main concern is the hood, cos I'm a hood snob! But seems like I'm just gonna have to order one and send it back if I don't like it...
 carr0t 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Kahti:

I have one and I really like it. The hood affords excellent protection and the jacket packs down very small and light.
 AndyM-25 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Kahti:

I got one ahead of three weeks winter climbing in Scotland this year. I have never been a fan of hard shells, they come into their own on the types of days you'll normally find me in the pub, but this coat is pretty dam good, and not just for the money, its just good.

The hood fits very well with and without a helmet. The fabric doesn't make you sound like a crisp packet and affords you some flexibility when fully sealed in the thing. The pockets are deceptive on the website and are completely accessible with a harness on. I am 6'4" and the body length and arm length are very good for me (I have a large). The hem adjustment loops aren't connected which is a very good thing if you wear it for climbing. My only negatives are the top chest pocket is a little small and difficult to use with big winter gloves (not so much of an issues without the gloves) and the pit zippers are a little stiff (I am clutching at straws here I would much rather this than the alternative).

The pit zips are massive and the pocket liners are breathable so levels of breathability can be adjusted to suit.

Regardless of price this just works, it fits, it functions (its a good colour), what else can you ask for?

N.B. I also have the soft-shell trousers and hard-shell trousers, the hard-shell trousers are even better IMO.
OP Kahti 29 Jun 2016
In reply to AndyM-25:

Thanks, that's quite an endorsement!

Could anyone tell me how the Decathlon sizing compares to other brands as no info on the website? I'm usually a small for jackets, which is annoyingly sold out right now. and am a 30" waist so normally small for trousers too. Does that sound right for the above items?
 Andypeak 29 Jun 2016
In reply to Kahti:

I normally have to go a size up, find them on the small side

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...