UKC

Ben Lomond (NZ) - Winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 echo34 27 Jun 2016
I am staying in NZ for a few months and I have some time in Queenstown coming up in July, and I was hoping to get up some mountains. I have been looking at Ben Lomond, which looks like a nice day out, however I can't seem to find much information about the route in winter conditions.

I have access to an ice axe, but don't have crampons, only micro-spikes, will these be okay for the route? From what I have seen its not too steep/technical in winter, but hard to tell from the information I have found.

Also, can anyone recommend any other single day routes in the area?
 damowilk 27 Jun 2016
In reply to echo34:

It's variable, could be a bit icy on the last slightly steeper approach, but it's not technical.
I can't guarantee that you'd be fine in micro-spikes without knowing what the conditions will be on the day, and your ability etc, you'd probably be fine, but just check how it is when you get there and take local advice. I have run it in Inov8s in Winter with no problems.
 AdrianC 27 Jun 2016
In reply to echo34:

As Damo said, it'll just depend on conditions at the time. Try asking in the QT DOC office before you go - they might have an up-to-date report.

There are plenty of other walks around there at lower levels - try around Moke Lake & the old gold workings or from the top of the Crown Range road you can access the peaks at either side (there will be snow there but the terrain's quite mellow.)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...