UKC

Bike rack for the car, what type?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 the sheep 27 Jun 2016
As the title suggests I'm after a bike rack for the car (Vauxhall Zafira). However have not purchased one before or really looked into it so thought I would ask the audience, which is the best type, the ones that secure the bike to the roof bars or the ones that dangle off the back. Any recommendations welcomed.

Cheers in advance.
Graeme G 27 Jun 2016
In reply to the sheep:

Roofbars - ok if only up to 2 bikes. After that a real faff. Also need to be aware of not driving under trees!!

Back hangers - used to have one. Gave up as it once fell of the back in the middle of a busy junction. Probably depends what one you use.

Towbar - far and away the best. However not cheap. Good investment if you plan to keep the car
OP the sheep 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:
Ah, car has 120K on the clock so any solution would need to be transferable to a new one at some point.

It would only be for one bike.
Post edited at 11:07
 tony 27 Jun 2016
In reply to the sheep:

I prefer my roof bars to the dangling-off-the-back type I used to have. However, isn't a Zafira quite high? Hoisting the bikes up might be awkward.
OP the sheep 27 Jun 2016
In reply to tony:

It is tall but im 6'4 so that wouldn't be a deterrent. Bike security and stability would be the main driver in the choice.
 felt 27 Jun 2016
In reply to the sheep:

> Any recommendations welcomed.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/saris-bones-rs-3-bike-rack/

Quite pricey but read the reviews (out of stock at Wiggle but available elsewhere). I've got one and it can be put on the car/taken off in under a minute.

cb294 27 Jun 2016
In reply to the sheep:

Roof rack, and if at all possible (i.e. if you can fit the front wheels inside the car), the kneeling type, e.g. Thule 561 or similar. If you have quick release skewers on your bike anyway, nothing is quicker and safer. Height should not be an issue, worked fine for me with a Citroen Berlingo. Just don´t drive into a parking garage.

CB
 LastBoyScout 27 Jun 2016
In reply to the sheep:

Friend of mine had a Zafira with roof bar racks - he's also over 6', so no problem loading bikes. He had the expensive roof bars that slide sideways to help load. Upsides are you can still open the boot and low risk of damage to car. Downsides are limit on car park height and drag on long journeys. I use the Thule fork-mount ones - never had any problems with them.

If just for one bike, or even 2, then a rear mounting rack is ok, if you get a good one - probably the cheapest option. Make sure you position the feet well to avoid dents and protect the paintwork from straps rubbing. Make sure the wheels don't stick out too wide and pedals and wheels aren't touching the bodywork. Legally, you may also need a lighting board with numberplate if the ones on the car are obscured.

Dogwatch 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:
> Towbar - far and away the best. However not cheap. Good investment if you plan to keep the car

Not expensive if you already have a towbar. It takes me less than a minute to pop the hanger onto the towbar and a bike onto that, so very convenient to use. The backing plate that fits to the towbar would be moveable to a different car, the towbar itself can't generally be moved.
Post edited at 13:12
 nniff 27 Jun 2016
In reply to the sheep:

Take a very deep breath and buy a one or two bike seasucker. Single bike one is a Seasucker Talon, I think. Fits on the roof or on the back, or on the bonnet if you really want. I've lost count of the number of bike racks and roof bars I've bought over the years. The last one was a Saris Bones. That fitted two cars for a couple of trips each. Then the cars changed and it would fit neither of the new ones.

Wish I'd bought one a long time ago. Fits both my estate car (on the roof or hanging off the back) and my wife's little sports car (metal folding roof - one foot on the roof and the other on the boot).

It takes about two minutes to fit and about 10 seconds to remove. It's going on hols in the bike bag too, because it's relatively tiny and weighs not a lot.
 Kieran_John 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Dogwatch:

Ditto, my tow bar rack is fantastic. If you've already got a tow bar I'd definitely go for one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thule-TH9700-Xpress-2-Bike/dp/B001N3L4D0/ref=pd_si...
In reply to the sheep:
I've had 2 of these roof mounted carriers for a few years -- they work fine, and the bike is really secure.
http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=1132635&pk=

They fit easily to most types of roof bars

They also do not cost the earth compared to some better known brands.

Whist towbar and rear carriers are great - to be 'legal' they must not obscure the rear lights and number plates, so may need a separate light and number plate board.
Post edited at 14:59
 Mark Morris 27 Jun 2016
In reply to the sheep:

This thread has come at the right time. I've sort of settled fro a tow bar mounted rack. There appear to be two sorts:
1) As noted above, twin uprights attached to the tow ball with the bikes hanging of these.
2) A mix of the above type but with wheel supports and fixed number plates/lights.

Any thoughts on these?

Also, I'm getting stupid online quotes for tow bars and electrics, whats a "normal" cost?

Many thanks
Graeme G 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Mark Morris:

£300 for fixed and £500 for detachable. I have a big Thule Euroclassic. Great for carrying 4 bikes but pricey
 Rick Graham 27 Jun 2016
In reply to the sheep:

The pros and cons of the various options are well covered above.

I have tried them all apart from tow bar option.

I have channel thingies that a complete bike fits on upright, about £15 each 12 years ago, which fit on to transverse roof bars. This is my preferred option outside the vehicle.

Inside, when I have space, just sandwich the bike between old carpet or visqueen/ polythene, and pack the other stuff under or over.
 colinakmc 27 Jun 2016
In reply to the sheep:
I've got a Saris Bones which sits on the back and is quite amazingly stable. And no worries about low car parks, trees etc.
 stonemaster 27 Jun 2016
In reply to the sheep:

Too much of a shorty to use a roof rack. Have used a dangle off the back one with up to 2 bikes. However, a friend had a bike come off. Stopped using it when the rear door of the hatch (VW Golf) stared to come away. Now just take the front wheel off and stuff the bike in the car. Good luck.
 gethin_allen 27 Jun 2016
In reply to the sheep:

If it's a single bike I'd try and fit it inside.
If a rack is essential I'd just get a cheap rear mounted one. If you had loads of bike to shift then a tow bar or roof mounted rack would be better.
 Dogwatch 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Mark Morris:

> This thread has come at the right time. I've sort of settled fro a tow bar mounted rack. There appear to be two sorts:

> 1) As noted above, twin uprights attached to the tow ball with the bikes hanging of these.

> 2) A mix of the above type but with wheel supports and fixed number plates/lights.

> Any thoughts on these?

> Also, I'm getting stupid online quotes for tow bars and electrics, whats a "normal" cost?

> Many thanks

I have something like this, which I'm not sure meets either of your descriptions. http://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/cycle_carriers/buyCycleCarrier.php?partNo=Z...

Towbar around £300 supplied and fitted seems about right. About double of what it was when I last did it. Feeling old now.

Dogwatch 28 Jun 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

> If it's a single bike I'd try and fit it inside.

I can get a bike in the back of my car with the front wheel removed and a back seat down. I'm not car-proud but still not certain I'd want to if it was wet and oozing mud.

nniff 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Dogwatch:
> I can get a bike in the back of my car with the front wheel removed and a back seat down. I'm not car-proud but still not certain I'd want to if it was wet and oozing mud.

In which case you need a large sheet of cardboard. which both keeps oily bits off the car and soaks up drips and slime if the bike's wet and minging.

gethin_allen 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Dogwatch:

> I can get a bike in the back of my car with the front wheel removed and a back seat down. I'm not car-proud but still not certain I'd want to if it was wet and oozing mud.

This is my current dilemma, I used to be happy to pile the bikes in the back of the car but, having just bought a considerably newer car that I really need to look after I need to work out a plan.
My thoughts are to design a tarpaulin and clamp system to hang from the rear grip handles that can be laid flat and then folded up around a dirty bike (a bit like a rope bag) so that the bike will stand in the space with one back seat folded down.
 Andy Johnson 28 Jun 2016
In reply to the sheep:

For one or two bikes adult you may be ok with a hatch-mounted ("dangle off the back") carrier. I've heard/read anecdotal evidence that heavier loads can put too much load on the hatch's hinges. Not worth the risk in my opinion. Unless the bikes are mounted very high you'll also need a light-board with a number plate, and this needs to be wired to the car electrics.

I bought a towbar-mounted own-brand 4 bike carrier from Halfords last year and took four bikes to Scotland and back on a Ford Focus with a towbar that I fitted myself. It looked rather precarious, and I kept expecting to look in the rear-view mirror to find it gone, but we had no problems.

Here in Manchester, £300 to £350 seems about average for fitting a tow bar (inc. parts and vat). towsure.com sell kits and will also do mobile fitting, although I haven't used them, Having done it once, I wouldn't recommend fitting a towbar yourself unless you particularly enjoy that kind of thing: I found the mechanical part fairly easy, but the electrics are tricky. I eventually had to get help from a mobile auto electrician, which wiped-out any savings I might have made.

Andy
 supafly 28 Jun 2016
In reply to the sheep:
Do yourself a favor and get one of these:

http://www.northshoreracks.com/NSR%202-bike.htm

Or if you can't afford it, one of these:

http://www.sportrack.com/p/crest-2?pp=24

But don't go messing about with crummy racks that ruin your bike, your car and then die after a few years use.
Post edited at 16:39
 The New NickB 28 Jun 2016
In reply to the sheep:

Been using a Saris Gran Fondo for just over a year. It fits just about any car and was the only one I could find apart from towbar mounted to fit my car (latest generation Seat Leon).

Done a few longish motorway journeys as well as country roads and pottering around busy streets with it and a couple of bikes on, no problems.
 cathsullivan 28 Jun 2016
In reply to stonemaster:

> Too much of a shorty to use a roof rack. ..

I'm 5'2" and I can manage a roof mounted bike carrier. I have to say that it is a bit more challenging with my mtb as it's heavier but road bikes are absolutely fine. I just open the rear door and stand on the sill. More often than not, I put the bike inside the car with the seats folded down as that's is easier and more secure. But I like having the option to put the bike(s) on the roof if needs be. The issue of dirty bikes in with other stuff can be addressed by buying a cheap soft bike bag to put your wet oily bike into, which also protects it if you're putting it in on top of other stuff.
 Co1in H 28 Jun 2016
In reply to the sheep:
Anything by Thule.
Well worth the investment.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...