UKC

Independence Day June 24th 2016

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
What happened on Independence Day June 24th was inevitable. It had been building for many years. There are many descriptors of what has evolved but for many, many years there has been brooding discontent with the European project by many more than the 52% of this country that had the courage to vote leave. Insecure borders, terrorism, loss of sovereign rights, loss of UK passport, over-population and overcrowding, dilution of our democratic and tolerant society, externally imposed and unsupported non-populist laws, corruption, embezzlement, nepotism, frustration with EU regulation and nose-in-the-trough job creation and cronyism, long term frustration with CAP and fisheries etc.

The EU has been a gravy train for many, yet those of us who have paid tax bills into it or into the UK HMRC exchequer are suffering taxation without representation. The noses in the trough will have to get real jobs eventually, you can't fool all or some of the people all the time.

The UKIP and Scottish situation is also inevitable - you can NOT remove democratic rights from people without a backlash (SNP 56 MPs, UKIP 1 MP with UKIP having 3 times the vote).
Something gives, and it just has.

In a speech day at Sedbergh School in about the year 2000, Lord Tom Bingham, Master of the Rolls, Lord Chief Justice, Old Sedberghian, one of the smartest legal brains that ever existed, was recorded as saying,
"A law that does not have popular public support is a bad law" Many EU laws put us in this position.

This is where we are. The worm has turned, this was coming for a very long time, it is a very good thing, Europe will be a fairer place, more accountable, more democratic, less corrupt. The establishment, the European political elite, the noses in the trough have had their wings clipped and the movement will spread right across Europe. The consequences will be better for the UK and Europe also.

Whatever happens in the UK is marginal as the momentum will be in Europe too. We are not alone.
Enough is enough. Way more than 52% believe that.
Graeme G 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Dave Cumberland:
You're a bit late. Pompous grandious celebration was scheduled for Friday.

13.23 and 3 dislikes! Seriously?? Some people have no sense of humour.....
Post edited at 13:24
 Dave Garnett 27 Jun 2016
Well done, barely an unsubstantiated cliche or populist prejudice left unstated.

And not a positive word about what we should do instead. You should get a job in Boris Johnson's policy office.
Post edited at 13:00
 MonkeyPuzzle 27 Jun 2016

Yes, it's real end-of-the-rainbow stuff isn't it? I suppose by wiping trillions of the world markets and emboldening racist and xenophobic attacks like no time in the last 30 years within only three days, you can point at any outcome from now as an improvement.
 Mark Edwards 27 Jun 2016
> You're a bit late. Pompous grandious celebration was scheduled for Friday.

Whilst the infantile name calling, fatuous accusations and gross over simplifications by the children in the screaming room goes on and on and on and on.
 Fraser 27 Jun 2016

> ... for many, many years there has been brooding discontent with the European project by many more than the 52% of this country that had the courage to vote leave.

Do you have any evidence whatsoever for that statement?

Oi independence boy, if you're arguing for Britain then write in the British way. So that's:

24th June 2016

Now write that out a thousand times. No cut and paste, please.

Once you've corrected that fundamental error, we'll move on to the rest.

T.
Graeme G 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Mark Edwards:

See my updated post as of 13.23

Get a life
 tony 27 Jun 2016

> Insecure borders, terrorism, loss of sovereign rights, loss of UK passport, over-population and overcrowding, dilution of our democratic and tolerant society, externally imposed and unsupported non-populist laws, corruption, embezzlement, nepotism, frustration with EU regulation and nose-in-the-trough job creation and cronyism, long term frustration with CAP and fisheries etc.

If you seriously believe any of that is going to change as a result of Thursday's vote, you're in for a big disappointment.
 jethro kiernan 27 Jun 2016

What particular laws "imposed" on us do you feel were hugely unpopular
Working time directive?
Maternity/paternity leave?
Minimum holiday leave?
Anti bent banana law?

Please name an unpopular law and the date it was imposed on us and the parliamentary motion when it was entered into the British statutes....please
KevinD 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Fraser:

> Do you have any evidence whatsoever for that statement?

Sure. It is the next paragraph after the 350 million for the NHS.
 Mark Edwards 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

> Whilst the infantile name calling, fatuous accusations and gross over simplifications by the children in the screaming room goes on and on and on and on.

> See my updated post as of 13.23
You expect me to trawl this site looking for your post at 13.23? (a link would be helpful, if I gave a damn)

> Get a life
QED
(I’m very happy with the ones I’ve had/have, thanks – except perhaps when the ERM clusterf*ck ended up with me paying about 14% interest on my mortgage for years – and we didn’t even get a referendum on that one – may no-one ever know that misery again – which is one of the reasons I want out of the EU).
Graeme G 27 Jun 2016

> You expect me to trawl this site looking for your post at 13.23? (a link would be helpful, if I gave a damn)

Eh no, you just have to scroll up ^ to my post of 12.55

And if you don't give a damn why did you reply?

Yanis Nayu 27 Jun 2016

> You expect me to trawl this site looking for your post at 13.23? (a link would be helpful, if I gave a damn)

> QED

> (I’m very happy with the ones I’ve had/have, thanks – except perhaps when the ERM clusterf*ck ended up with me paying about 14% interest on my mortgage for years – and we didn’t even get a referendum on that one – may no-one ever know that misery again – which is one of the reasons I want out of the EU).

I think the best thing you could have done to come close to paying 14% interest rates was vote to leave the EU and create financial uncertainty.
 Fraser 28 Jun 2016

> ... except perhaps when the ERM clusterf*ck ended up with me paying about 14% interest on my mortgage for years

Tell the truth now, it couldn't have been "for years". When did you first start a mortgage? You're younger than I am and I never paid 14%.

http://www.propertyinvestmentproject.co.uk/property-statistics/uk-interest-...

pasbury 28 Jun 2016

I don't think I've ever read a more pure expression of hubris than this.
In reply to pasbury:

Think you are confusing hubris with observation .. ..
Graeme G 28 Jun 2016

Can you tell me this. How will leaving the EU sort out the SNP/UKIP representation issue you highlight in paragraph 3?
pasbury 28 Jun 2016

noun: hubris

excessive pride or self-confidence.
"the self-assured hubris among economists was shaken in the late 1980s"

synonyms: arrogance, conceit, conceitedness, haughtiness, pride, vanity, self-importance, self-conceit, pomposity, superciliousness, feeling of superiority; hauteur.

antonyms: modesty

•(in Greek tragedy) excessive pride towards or defiance of the gods, leading to nemesis.

Andy Hardy 28 Jun 2016

You blew it with the reply there Dave, I was going to give a AAA rating for trolling, but returning to the debate means I have to downgrade you to a B.

Jon Stewart 28 Jun 2016

That's very nice, thank you.

Now can I see the plan?
 SenzuBean 28 Jun 2016

I don't know what you're on about - the original movie was way better.
 GrahamD 28 Jun 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

> I don't know what you're on about - the original movie was way better.

And the original movie was a pile of shite
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:
> Can you tell me this. How will leaving the EU sort out the SNP/UKIP representation issue you highlight in paragraph 3?
I think it is obvious to all that Scotland wishes to be independent from England.
Bliar started it.
pasbury 28 Jun 2016

Oh and by the way - we were independent already.
 GrahamD 28 Jun 2016

> Enough is enough. Way more than 52% believe that.

That might be true on the sheep farms in your neck of the woods.
 wercat 28 Jun 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

never mind, we will soon be to Europe as Cumbria is to the UK. A backwater, neglected and weak in economic and political terms, a step back in time from areas only an hour or two away by car
Graeme G 28 Jun 2016

> I think it is obvious to all that Scotland wishes to be independent from England.

> Bliar started it.

And at that point I'll bow out. You've just convinced me you know nothing. Scottish Independence has been around a lot longer than Tony Blair. Do some reading. As for UKIP you still haven't answered how leaving the EU will change the parliamentary imbalance in Westminster.

I am so saddened that people like you will cost people their jobs and future.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...