UKC

A new low in cheating?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pids 27 Jun 2016
Surely biking has seen enough through the doping scandals, now having to look at ways to combat likliehood of mechanical doping at this years TDF.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/36640870

Dark-Cloud 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Pids:

Have you been in a cave for 6 months ?

This is in response to the Femke Van den Driessche incident:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/van-den-driessche-handed-six-year-ban-for-m...

Its a good thing they are checking, we should be thankful for it.
OP Pids 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> Have you been in a cave for 6 months ? Nope, have you?

> This is in response to the Femke Van den Driessche incident:

Thanks for that, it was mentioned in the article I linked (or did you just not bother reading it as you are so informed?) And it was partly in response to that, plus other allegations of mechanical doping

> Its a good thing they are checking, we should be thankful for it.

Yup, thankful they tested for doping through the Lance era, lets hope they a bit more switched on with this then

In reply to Pids:

You posted as though you had just come across some breaking news we should all know about. Richlan is right in pointing out that anyone who has any interest in professional cycling has been aware of these developments for months.
 Dark-Cloud 27 Jun 2016
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

I'm glad it wasnt just me that read it like that......

Pids - No offence inended, just your post read like its the first time you had seen it.
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

for months? this video is 6 years old...no idea how old the actual footage is

youtube.com/watch?v=8Nd13ARuvVE&
 Dark-Cloud 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Pids:

> Yup, thankful they tested for doping through the Lance era, lets hope they a bit more switched on with this then

Erm a testing regime doesn't automatically mean positives, Lance was a clever chap, he (and the rest of the USPS team) knew what do to when and how to avoid a positive, EPO use for Haematocrit enhancement was commonplace in that era , hence the suspensionn on "health grounds" for a hgh Haematocrit, not a ban.
 gethin_allen 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Just reading that article in full, did you read the bit about the her father and brother stealing expensive parrots?

What a bizarre family that must be.
 d_b 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Pids:

Kind of off topic, but am I the only person who gets really annoyed by the term "mechanical doping"?

It's cheating, but doping is something specific and fitting a motor to your bike is not it!
 The Potato 28 Jun 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:
google definition of dope
verb
administer drugs to (a racehorse, greyhound, or athlete) in order to inhibit or enhance sporting performance.
"the horse was doped before the race"
synonyms: drug, administer drugs/opiates/narcotics to; informal be heavily under the influence of drugs, typically illegal ones. "he was so doped up that he can't remember a thing"
smear or cover with varnish or other thick liquid.
"she doped the surface with photographic emulsion"
Electronics
add an impurity to (a semiconductor) to produce a desired electrical characteristic.

I agree!
Dont get me started on this whole bike+motor=motorbike malarkey, people just dont seem to get it, either on road or mtb
Post edited at 10:56
 gethin_allen 28 Jun 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

Well the uci call it technological fraud, which I think is a better description.
 d_b 28 Jun 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

That sounds better. It covers lots of other potential equipment modifications too.
 malk 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Pids:

is it true that TDF riders are allowed to use altitude chambers during the tour? a new high in cheating?
 nniff 28 Jun 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

You are of course right, but it is at least a convenient term that aligns with the concept of adding something to improve the performance of the rider in an unfair way.

Financial doping is an altogether murkier concept (as applied to Team Sky)

I'm a little amused with the idea of pouring a kilo of mercury into someone's frame before a big climb as a spot of mechanical doping to slow them down. Quick silver? - I think not.
 d_b 28 Jun 2016
In reply to nniff:

That could get exciting with an aluminium frame, and you only need a drop!

youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Ilxsu-JlY&

The Potato 28 Jun 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

wow, id never have thought it!
 Chris the Tall 28 Jun 2016
In reply to nniff:

> Financial doping is an altogether murkier concept (as applied to Team Sky)

Now that is an annoying phrase - a desperate attempt to smear Team sky over legitimate tactics. You could accuse the England football team of financial doping due to the salary of the manager ! Of course money plays a big part, as in all sport, but only if it is well spent, and that is a crucial factor.
 Tricky Dicky 28 Jun 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

> Just reading that article in full, did you read the bit about the her father and brother stealing expensive parrots?

> What a bizarre family that must be.

The son has been suspended for traditional doping as well!!
 Greasy Prusiks 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

It has to be said though team sky aren't exactly fan favourites.
 nniff 28 Jun 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

and that's why received wisdom is that thermometers in airline baggage are a Bad Thing.

A few drops in an aluminium frame and the flash electric motor would fall out onto the road!
 nniff 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

> It has to be said though team sky aren't exactly fan favourites.

It depends if they're winning or not. If they're controlling the race, the French get all over-wrought and antagonistic. If Sky are taking a beating, they'll cheer them on, presumably so that they can continue to get a beating. No wonder they need sports psychologists.
 GrahamD 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

> It has to be said though team sky aren't exactly fan favourites.

that rather depends who you are a fan of
 Greasy Prusiks 28 Jun 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

If you're a fan of exciting racing
 tim000 28 Jun 2016
In reply to nniff: sky are not the richest team out there . I think BMC are . then maybe Katusha

Chris the Tall 29 Jun 2016
In reply to tim000:

> sky are not the richest team out there . I think BMC are . then maybe Katusha

I thought it was Tinkoff. Certainly blamed by many for inflation of wages by paying Sagan way over the market rate, and then whinging about how unsustainable the sport had become.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...