UKC

Farage in Brussels

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
pasbury 28 Jun 2016
'Now, I know that virtually none of you have ever done a proper job in your lives or worked in business or worked in trade or indeed ever created a job. But listen, just listen.'

'I will make one prediction this morning; the United Kingdom will not be the last member state to leave the European Union.'

'Isn’t it funny? When I came here 17 years ago and I said that I wanted to lead a campaign go get Britain out of the European Union, you all laughed at me. Well, I have to say, you’re not laughing now, are you?'

Is there anyway this braying bell-end can be shut up.

He might as well be jerking off in there.
 RyanOsborne 28 Jun 2016
In reply to pasbury:

He is an embarrassment to our country.
 ebdon 28 Jun 2016
In reply to pasbury:
He didn't actually say that did he? It sounds like the script of a dead ringers sketch
Post edited at 13:15
 lummox 28 Jun 2016
In reply to pasbury:

slow hand clap for all you Brexiters.
 MonkeyPuzzle 28 Jun 2016
In reply to pasbury:

Even better, he preceded that by telling the parliament that Brussels needed to show a grown-up attitude. What a spunktrumpet.
pasbury 28 Jun 2016
In reply to ebdon:

Direct copypaste from Guardian live news feed.
 Greasy Prusiks 28 Jun 2016
In reply to pasbury:

I've found an as yet un reported section of his speach-

"Morning foreigners Nige here. Didn't I always tell you they're called the white cliffs of Dover for a reason? And that reason is we shouldn't let Johnny Foreigner over them, Huzzah! Now where's my pint?"
In reply to pasbury:
I was reading the same blog on the Guardian, and have to say I am surprised the Italian Prime Minister and Merkel both let their guard down and refer to "free movement of people" as the "bad thing" when talking about UK not having access to the single market.

("It£s impossible to belong to [the] community only with the good things, and not with the bad things. In every family, if you belong to [the] family, you must accept the good things and the bad things. It is impossible to speak only about the single market and [not] accept the politics about migration. It£s impossible to be very communitarian about the economy and not about values. This is the problem, in my view, about this campaign.This is what Angela Merkel, the German chancellor, said this morning too. "
Post edited at 13:36
pasbury 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:
Maybe she thinks that we English regard it as a bad thing; having been banging on about it for bloody years.
Post edited at 13:39
 RyanOsborne 28 Jun 2016
In reply to pasbury:

> Well, I have to say, you’re not laughing now, are you?'

I suspect they will be laughing at him when we remain in the EEA and the free movement of people is retained, undermining his whole career as a professional xenophobe.

GrahamD 28 Jun 2016
In reply to RyanOsborne:

He is a democratically elected representative of our country, lets not forget. So we got what we voted for.
 EddInaBox 28 Jun 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

He's an MEP, we got what most people couldn't be arsed to vote against!
 RyanOsborne 28 Jun 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

> He is a democratically elected representative of our country, lets not forget. So we got what we voted for.

So the EU is democratic after all?
 galpinos 28 Jun 2016
In reply to pasbury:

He's a disgrace. Not exactly setting the right tone prior to negotiations!
KevinD 28 Jun 2016
In reply to galpinos:

> He's a disgrace. Not exactly setting the right tone prior to negotiations!

Eh? He set the right tone by saying we should have a grown up discussion. So as long as you ignore everything else he says, particularly the next line about not having proper jobs, we will be fine.
 wintertree 28 Jun 2016
In reply to pasbury:

The man is a total f-----g disgrace. Is it possible for his constituents or anyone else to force a re-election during his elected term?

RyanOsborne 28 Jun 2016
In reply to wintertree:

> The man is a total f-----g disgrace. Is it possible for his constituents or anyone else to force a re-election during his elected term?

As an MEP, what constituents will he have?
 BazVee 28 Jun 2016
In reply to pasbury:

He proved them wrong though ... I'm sure he's been called worse then you have so far offered.
 GrahamD 28 Jun 2016
In reply to RyanOsborne:

The EU has democratic processes the UK public could never be bothered to get engaged in.
 timjones 28 Jun 2016
In reply to RyanOsborne:

> As an MEP, what constituents will he have?

I'm sure google will tell you where is constituency is if you really want to know.
 RyanOsborne 28 Jun 2016
In reply to timjones:

Sorry, I meant what constituents will he have if we were to leave.
 timjones 28 Jun 2016
In reply to RyanOsborne:

> Sorry, I meant what constituents will he have if we were to leave.

I thought the proposal was to do something now rather than waiting for at least 2 years?
KevinD 28 Jun 2016
In reply to RyanOsborne:

> Sorry, I meant what constituents will he have if we were to leave.

Since he has spent most of his life in politics I suspect he will be hoping to get a MP post once his cushy EU number vanishes.
 spotter1 28 Jun 2016
In reply to pasbury:

its amazing, its like the whole campaign was a way for him to get back at the EU mp's for laughing at him.
mentality of a bullied schoolboy.
cant his UK passport be cancelled while he's over there ?
 Xharlie 28 Jun 2016
In reply to ebdon:

I watched a video and regret to inform you that he DID indeed say all those things... not necessarily in that order but all the paragraphs spewed from his very lips. It's not Graüniad misquoting.
KevinD 28 Jun 2016
In reply to spotter1:

> cant his UK passport be cancelled while he's over there ?

dear god no. Remember we need to negotiate with them. Leaving him trapped there really wont aid that.
In reply to RyanOsborne:

> He is an embarrassment to our country.

He's more than an embarrassment to our country, he's a grave danger to us, the enemy within, the Oswald Mosley of the 21st century.
baron 28 Jun 2016
In reply to pasbury:
From what I saw most of the meeting where on their phones, tablets, etc and therefore not paying proper attention to any of the speakers.
I thought Mr Farage did exactly what was expected, that Mr Juncker was rambling and non sensical and the Scottish MEP couldn't have been more sycophantic.
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy:

There were quite a few cheers in the room and also a few smiles. I suspect he isn't as universally unpopular as we like to make out in that room. It could be sarcastic but I suspect there are a few (maybe none, i'm just speculating) who admire and enjoy his fck you attitude to the EU.
 The New NickB 28 Jun 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

> He is a democratically elected representative of our country, lets not forget. So we got what we voted for.

The people of the South-East of England can take the blame for that one. As someone from the North-West I already have to deal with the fact that we have sent both Nick Griffin and Paul Nuttall to the European Parliament, I refuse to take responsibility for Nige as well.
 Xharlie 28 Jun 2016
In reply to pasbury:
I simply cannot comprehend the injustice of Farage in Brussels, claiming Brexit as a victory in the name of the "little people" at the same time that Richard Branson announces that his concerns have probably lost a third of their value and that they've cancelled a deal that would have involved 3 000 jobs. Added to that, the drops in stocks and markets and losses by the banks means only one thing: the evaporation of pensions and investments. The well-heeled may be able to roll with the punches but the "little people" certainly can't.

EDIT: Can't democratically elected representatives be impeached? To be honest, just throwing him in the clink for minor criminal racism would reduce him to irrelevance for long enough to fix this mess.
Post edited at 15:46
 spotter1 28 Jun 2016
In reply to KevinD:

> dear god no. Remember we need to negotiate with them. Leaving him trapped there really wont aid that.

true. imagine what all his taunting and jeering did for the upcoming negotiations..
 Timmd 28 Jun 2016
> There were quite a few cheers in the room and also a few smiles. I suspect he isn't as universally unpopular as we like to make out in that room. It could be sarcastic but I suspect there are a few (maybe none, i'm just speculating) who admire and enjoy his fck you attitude to the EU.

I find if somebody is genuinely cheery it's hard not to empathise even if you don't agree with why.

He definitely looks happy in pictures of him there with his union jack.
Post edited at 15:52
 DerwentDiluted 28 Jun 2016
In reply to pasbury:
I just looked up the origin of the name Farage.

It is Huguenot in origin.

Damn Europeans, coming over here stealing our artisanal silk weaving jobs. Coming here with their Protestant work ethic and skills!

I am of Huguenot origin also. Apologies to all, some of us came to escape persecution in our home country and to seek a better life.
Post edited at 16:52
barrow_matt 28 Jun 2016
Well I thought he was brilliant today!

KevinD 28 Jun 2016

> There were quite a few cheers in the room and also a few smiles. I suspect he isn't as universally unpopular as we like to make out in that room.

He does have his fans. Marine Le Pen and co.
pasbury 28 Jun 2016
In reply to barrow_matt:

Get back under your bridge!
 afshapes 28 Jun 2016
In reply to pasbury:

He really is a member of C.ardiff U.nivercity N.etball T.eam
 Jim Hamilton 30 Jun 2016
In reply to pasbury:

Was he replying in kind to Junker's (and others?) earlier comments?
 Timmd 30 Jun 2016
In reply to baron:
> and the Scottish MEP couldn't have been more sycophantic.

If I was wanting to get the best future for my country in desperately uncertain times I'd probably be pretty sycophantic too.

There's no fairness in Scotland leaving the EU because the people of England and Wales were led to blame the EU for what are pretty much the effects of globalisation and the mistakes made by the banks/in the financial sector.
Post edited at 21:06
 GrahamD 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Timmd:

> If I was wanting to get the best future for my country in desperately uncertain times I'd probably be pretty sycophantic too.

> There's no fairness in Scotland leaving the EU because the people of England and Wales were led to blame the EU for what are pretty much the effects of globalisation and the mistakes made by the banks/in the financial sector.

Whereas I'm sympathetic to any group of people who remain (Cambridge also voted remain), Scots are still part of the UK and we are currently all in the same ship, which now appears not to have a rudder.

Actually I don't know what the leavers were pursuaded by: floods of immigrants, a 0.4% increase in NHS funding or a protest against Cameron. No doubt their leaders will clear it up soon.
 digby 01 Jul 2016
In reply to RyanOsborne:

> So the EU is democratic after all?

Absolutely. Elected MEPs and all legislation is consensually applied by home governments, who are elected.
 arctickev 01 Jul 2016
In reply to pasbury:

maybe abit of a biased source but the guy behind him has clearly had a job

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/29/eu-health-commissioner-expl...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...