UKC

Alpine 4000ers best saved for a Ski Descent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dale Finnie 28 Jun 2016
Hey hey,
Off soon on my second Alpine Summer Climbing trip in a few weeks. Doing my research as thinking I may start to focus on amassing a good tally of 4000m peaks.

Which ones would people suggest are suited to Skiing down. I mean Mont Blonc, Grand Combin seem worth saving for the Skiing, Matterhorn not so much.

Thanks for advice in advance.
 Andes 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Dale Finnie:

Of the things I've skiied myself, definitely Breithorn, Castor/Pollux, Piramide Vincent, the two Fiescherhorns, maybe the Dufourspitze (but was too icy for us to climb it!).

The whole Finsteraarhorn/Konkordia/Monch area is probably better in the ski season, though not necessarily every peak.

chris bedford 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Dale Finnie:

Strahlhorn. Wouldn't bother doing it any other way than on skis....
Could also consider the Bishorn and the Breithorn (though there are better ways to do the latter than the skiing route)
 Trangia 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Andes:

> , maybe the Dufourspitze (but was too icy for us to climb it!).

>

I'd second Dufourspitze, although you would leave your skis on the top col before climbing the summit ridge which requires ice axe and crampons. The descent from the col down to the Betampshutte is a superb ski run, but carefully note the location of the seracs and ice cliffs during the ascent as they are not obvious/visible from above, and you need to make a wide detour to avoid them

OwenM 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Dale Finnie:

Gran Paradiso a boring walk but good on skis.
Barre des Ecrins, ski able apart from the final ridge.
Most of the Monte Rosa group.
 rif 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Dale Finnie:

To add to those already mentioned: Jungfrau and Finsteraarhorn are good, though the last part of each has to be on foot.
In reply to Dale Finnie:

Of ones I've done, definitely Mt Blanc (its a lot quieter), Bishorn, Strahlhorn, Breithorn. Probably Alphubel, Allalinhorn too.

I think I am going on the same trip as you so can compare notes...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...