UKC

Anyone thinking of joining the Labour Party?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 28 Jun 2016
To have a say in electing a new leader? Possibly one who actually supports EU membership, has a chance of winning marginal seats and hence a general election, with an inclusive social-democrat agenda?
 bigbobbyking 28 Jun 2016
In reply to kevin stephens:

I'm thinking of it, but can't decide between Labour and the Libdems. Labour seem to be imploading and another leadership contest would take months. The libdems are more ready for the fight. But they don't have much of a base to start from...
In reply to bigbobbyking:

The point is that this is a chance to take part in selecting a Labour leader before a general election, something not on offer for the LDs
 FactorXXX 28 Jun 2016

Don't think you have to join the Labour Party: -

http://www.labour.org.uk/blog/entry/how-to-vote-for-our-next-leader-and-dep...

Graeme G 28 Jun 2016

I tend to find the best time to join a party is not too early as it won't have livened up yet and will lack atmosphere. Too late and it's pretty much over and everyone's already going home. You need to arrive at just the right time and don't overstay your welcome.

I cant help but think Labour's party is on the wane. The off sales is shut and they're running low on beer.
 balmybaldwin 28 Jun 2016

I joined the cons with the hope of getting a vote, but I think they will call it too early for me to get a vote. if they do I'll leave again

I've just been looking at the Labour party website. It's not as good as it could be, should be, must be.

From the off it assumes that I want to join them or give them money. There's a bit about the shadow cabinet that still thinks Ed Miliband is the man at the top. But everywhere it assumes that I know what the party is and stands for.

I do, of course I do. But not everyone will. Not everybody will want to read about the history of the labour movement and the Labour party. Many people, especially younger people, will want some plain statements: these are our aims, these are our values. If there are such statements, they aren't as obvious asthey should be - and they need to be much more obvious than the areas showing how one can give money to the party.

So, Labour, pull your finger out. By contrast, the LibDem website is a model of clarity.

T.
 Babika 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

> So, Labour, pull your finger out. By contrast, the LibDem website is a model of clarity.

Perhaps the Libs have plenty of folk who can work on the website instead of, say, being MPs

In reply to Babika:

Very true. Probably fewer issues of immediate demand as well.

Nevertheless . . .

T.
 Timmd 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:
> Perhaps the Libs have plenty of folk who can work on the website instead of, say, being MPs

Do you think it'd be people who'd otherwise be MP's who are involved in their website design and content?
Post edited at 23:17
pasbury 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

Actually I expect they pay some web developers to do that - by the look of things having given them some clear requirements. But you knew that anyway.
 olddirtydoggy 28 Jun 2016

No, but I'm thinking of going climbing tomorrow!
 Big Ger 29 Jun 2016

I'm game.
 Andy Hardy 29 Jun 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> I'm game.

To keep Jezza in?
 Mike Stretford 29 Jun 2016
I would register to vote depending on who the candidates are. The country is in a mess, we need a credible opposition ready for government.
Post edited at 08:55
 neilh 29 Jun 2016

If only I could join the SNP.......OH wait it looks as though this might be on the cards.

Badgers 29 Jun 2016
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Was thinking exactly the same thing when I was having a look this weekend.
 The New NickB 29 Jun 2016
In reply to Mike Stretford:

I see that the bookies favourite is Dan Jarvis, the guy I suggested 12 months ago, but decided not to stand due to his young family.
 digby 29 Jun 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

This is for last year and really shouldn't be onsite, or should be updated. Anyway, the current battle over the leadership is for the MPs and won't be put to the 'selectorate'.
Post edited at 09:36
 Tony the Blade 29 Jun 2016

I wouldn't jump ship merely to cast a vote on another parties leader, I'll leave that to the members.
 Big Ger 29 Jun 2016
In reply to Andy Hardy:

But of course!
 Alyson 29 Jun 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

> I see that the bookies favourite is Dan Jarvis, the guy I suggested 12 months ago, but decided not to stand due to his young family.

Hey Nick (or anyone else!). Do you know much about him? Would you describe him as Labour left or Labour right? If he were party leader would he be likely to enter into the kind of progressive alliance Sturgeon talked about before the last general election?
 FactorXXX 29 Jun 2016
In reply to digby:

This is for last year and really shouldn't be onsite, or should be updated. Anyway, the current battle over the leadership is for the MPs and won't be put to the 'selectorate'.

Apologies, I assumed it was the same selection criteria for all Labour leadership contests.
 The New NickB 29 Jun 2016
In reply to Alyson:
Livingstone and others have painted him as a Blairite, he appears to me to sit pretty much in the middle of Labours right left spectrum.

He seems sensible, credible and most importantly electable. I hate to take things to the level of the tabloid press, but they would struggle to attack a widowed war hero, like they attacked Milliband and Corbyn.

The problem is, he didn't want the job a year ago and he might not want it now.
Post edited at 10:45
 Alyson 29 Jun 2016

Thanks Nick. That sounds fairly hopeful (it's a relative term at the moment, I know).
 MG 29 Jun 2016

Based on not very much, I could imagine voting Labour with a leader like him but probably not Eagle, never for Watson, let along Corbyn. If Labour want to win (which appears doubtful) they are going to need to appeal to the middle ground.
 Tony the Blade 30 Jun 2016

I don't know enough about Dan Jarvis - the Telegraph seems to like him but that's not necessarily a good thing. Is he a neoliberal, Nick? Because I'm totally over neoliberalism.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...