UKC

Should I buy an extended warranty for a second hand car?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Joyce 28 Jun 2016
Morning Campers,

Just put the deposit down on a 2012 VW Caddy Maxi Life (automatic gearbox). I've been offered an RAC extended warranty for it at the cost of £500 for 1 year, £699 for 2 years or £899 for 3 years. Is this worth doing? Anyone got experience of VWs 'failing' and being costly to repair or that they found an extended warranty was a waste of money?

Wow fink?

Love from,
Joyce,
Xxxx
 Ridge 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Joyce:

I'd be very wary and google to see if anyone has sucessfully claimed on an RAC warranty. Most of these second hand car warranties exclude 'wear and tear', which pretty much exludes any form of mechanical failure.
 kestrelspl 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Ridge:
I successfully claimed on an AA one for broken air conditioning controls on a Corsa. The warranty cost us £480 for 4 years (at 24 months 0% interest). I think the repairs that we had done would have cost a couple of hundred pounds and there was a £35 fee that we still had to pay, so it hasn't paid for itself yet, but the smoothing out of large bills is useful and there is potential for things of much higher value to go wrong.

I guess it depends how risk averse you are. Re the wear and tear point above, things like brake pads and disks definitely aren't covered so you still have to pay for those. Also AA and RAC may well be different.
Post edited at 21:01
 Mark Eddy 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Joyce:

I have an extended warranty for my 2011 VW Touran, the warranty is part of the VW approved used scheme. The water pump failed recently, this caused a leak onto the cam belt and as a result both parts needed replacing at a cost of about £500. The warranty covered it all, thankfully!
So yes, VW's do have their faults, and ain't cheap to fix.

Hope this is helpful.
Mark
 Tall Clare 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Joyce:

We had a Warranty Wise one on a 2009 BMW 520d as we bought it secondhand with limited warranty offered, and it turned out that particular era of that model had a problem with the timing belt (?) going in a way that was rather conclusive for the engine. I think the warranty cost around £45/month - we didn't have to claim on it as the car was part exed for something less worrisome five months later.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...