UKC

Everest claim disputed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 29 Jun 2016
Interesting read. Does anyone have any information or insight?
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-36659280
In reply to kevin stephens:

We all have to live with our conscious.

splat2million 29 Jun 2016

Looks pretty clear cut that they faked it. Some of the original photos have been found before they were photoshopped and all their summit photos show them with totally different kit to the pictures of them lower down.
http://www.indiatimes.com/news/india/remember-the-police-couple-who-climbed...
 drolex 30 Jun 2016

A police investigation for an alleged lie?

And there is a certificate for climbing Everest?

Sometimes I just feel completely inadequate. I just don't get it. Why would some people lie about this, why would they go all the way to photoshop pictures, why would it matter to other people, why would the police be interested in these claims?
 Howard J 30 Jun 2016
In reply to drolex:

I guess the police are interested because the climbers are police officers, so this allegation casts doubt on their honesty and integrity, and brings the police force into disrepute.
 Trangia 30 Jun 2016
In reply to splat2million:

> Looks pretty clear cut that they faked it. Some of the original photos have been found before they were photoshopped and all their summit photos show them with totally different kit to the pictures of them lower down.

Not very smart my dear Watson. Eh?
 Damo 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Trangia:
I've been following this on Fbook via Indian friends. The issue of different clothing high up and lower down is not it - plenty of people wear different gear down low and don't use their down suit until up high. So that was not really the clincher.

The different boots was a problem, but it was not initially clear that they were claiming that the yellow suit/yellow boots photo was them.

What did it was a photo of the guy with the Indian flag, wearing red boots, with Sherpas and others behind him on the summit. It quickly became obvious he had nicked this pic from another Indian climber, Photoshopped in the flag, his red boots, his face in the hood and his different coloured mitts. The body and surrounds were the same as that of the photo owner.

But what nailed it was when you saw the photo-owner's pic, not only was the body pose the same as the faker, but the Sherpas and others in the background were in the *exact* same position - something almost impossible to pull off, especially on the summit of Everest. Two photos making this comparison were published in other sources, but the second photo was slightly off, a later shot in the sequence. There is actually a 3rd photo around, the exact original that was nicked and shopped. When you see *that* one plus the fake next to it, it's all pretty clear.
Post edited at 10:53
Lusk 30 Jun 2016
In reply to splat2million:

Is there ever no wind on the summit of Everest?!
 JohnnyW 30 Jun 2016

Bizarre.
 Billhook 30 Jun 2016

But the people in the background to the photos are slightly different in arm position and the guy on right no longer holds or has the blue material on his left?
Jim C 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Dave Perry:

> But the people in the background to the photos are slightly different in arm position and the guy on right no longer holds or has the blue material on his left?

It was mentioned that there was a series of photos, the comparison is possibly a second or less either side of the doctored one
 Billhook 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Jim C:

Thanks for that! I missed that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...