UKC

sass de stria

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 30 Jun 2016
Any one done the south arête on sass de stria dolomites? am aware the belay stations are in place what gear? cheers Rich
 Mike-W-99 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Removed User:

This one?South Arête (IV+)

The occasional peg from what I remember.
Removed User 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Yes Thanks for that.
 Chris the Tall 30 Jun 2016

Did it years ago, and it's a pretty good, albeit very popular, intro to the Dolomites. Loads of in-situ gear and cemented belays - possibly too many as it can get confusing.
Removed User 30 Jun 2016

Fixed belays (ring bolts from memory) and good natural gear, seem to recall placing nuts mostly. Good route, apparently pass the cockstone on the right. I did it on the left and it was a fight.
 Fiona Reid 30 Jun 2016
Make sure you read the description for pitch 6 in particular! It's all too easy to get suckered in to going straight up.

It's a really nice route and will likely be quite busy if it's a good day, thus, start early or be prepared to queue.
Post edited at 09:16
 Casa Alfredino 30 Jun 2016

As the other said, plenty of pegs - not so many threads as you'll find in other areas. Pitch 6 - yep watch out tht you keep left - it looks all wrong but its the way. Also make sure you do the slightly stiffer straight up variant on the last pitch - its a really nice pitch. And the route down is really cool - take a head torch so you can explore some of the tunnels!
Removed User 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Casa Alfredino:

Thanks guys walked past the route many times going to bivi at top of the pass so early start looking forward to climbing the arête!!

Course the other way is to rock up in the early afternoon when the crowds have already passed through and do it in a few hours...
 afshapes 30 Jun 2016

Equipped belays throughout. Occasional peg but nuts and a few cams will suffice. Get on it early or face a crowd and don't let people overtake you and then end up keeping you waiting like I did !!
 Fiona Reid 30 Jun 2016
> Pitch 6 - yep watch out tht you keep left - it looks all wrong but its the way.

Pretty sure you need to keep *right* here and not left? basically at the belay there's a peg directly above you, clip it and go rightwards...down a bit through the tunnel thing and up a wee chimney.

This is a photo from the belay showing the peg and the direction the rope goes in is showing where to go.
http://prog99.com/Summer%20Holidays/Dolomites%20-%202013/Hexenstein/slides/... (we ran a couple of the lower pitches together so it was pitch 5 for us) but this is looking up pitch 6 as per the description on UKC.

Post edited at 10:17
In reply to Fiona Reid:

Ahhhhh bugger talking at crossed purposes - I meant the pitch before where you climb the left side of the arete! Sorry! My brains a bit foggy! I remember trying to go right on that pitch because there was a groove which looked much easier than it was and feeling perplexed until I realised the arete to the left was covered in jugs despite being steep...
 Fiona Reid 30 Jun 2016

No problem... I guess with us having learned the hard way what happens if you go the wrong way on pitch 6 I have a pretty good memory of that part of the route!
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Fiona Reid:

Straight up the arete is superb but roughly VII-
Removed User 30 Jun 2016

Chockstone not cockstone. On a phone without my readers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...