UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: Skeleton Ridge - The Needles, Isle of Wight

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 01 Jul 2016
The Needles, Isle of Wight, 2 kbTonight's Friday Night Video from UKC user David Linnett is a short film about a trip to the Isle of Wight to climb one of the UK's most iconic adventure routes - Skeleton Ridge at The Needles by Totland Bay. First climbed by the legendary Mick Fowler in November 1984, this 5 star esoteric and chalky HVS has gained cult classic status over the years and comprises about 160 metres of climbing over 6 pitches with some of the most outrageous exposure to be found in the UK.

Read more
 alan moore 01 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Well; I was inspired...
In reply to UKC News:

Always wanted to do this, now I want to do it more.

Great effort in putting this all together, not to mention some good advice on logistics.
 Greasy Prusiks 01 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

What a route! Love seeing articles/videos on routes that are on my tick list, thanks for posting.
 Bobling 01 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

What was the bird at the start? My descent from climber into bird spotter continues! Great effort guys.
 BALD EAGLE 01 Jul 2016
In reply to alan moore:

> Well; I was inspired...

Thanks Alan and hope you enjoyed my wee video! Cheers Dave
 BALD EAGLE 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

> Always wanted to do this, now I want to do it more.

> Great effort in putting this all together, not to mention some good advice on logistics.

Many thanks for taking the time to post Rob and although the logistics are a bit of a faff, the route and memories are well worth the effort and some! Cheers Dave

BALD EAGLE 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

> What a route! Love seeing articles/videos on routes that are on my tick list, thanks for posting.

Glad you enjoyed the video and I hope it inspires you to hop on a ferry to the Isle of Wight to get that tick! Cheers Dave
 BALD EAGLE 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Bobling:

> What was the bird at the start? My descent from climber into bird spotter continues! Great effort guys.

Well Bobling it seems you still just a slightly better climber than bird spotter as the lovely bird was a kestrel! The kestrel spent most of the weekend we were there hovering around the Old Battery and when I descended a grassy slope to get a side view of the ridge from the adjacent headland it was just sat on the cliff edge no more than 5 metres away from me! Cheers Dave
 BusyLizzie 01 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Lovely! Your filming is getting more hi-tec with lots of different viewpoints. Very beautiful.
 Mike-W-99 01 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Great. Such a long way away though!

Not climbing Dave?
 Big Steve 01 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

I loved the film, very well done. Good choice of music too. That ridge looks scarily narrow in places
I've never climbed on chalk, it would be good to give this a go one day
 Kafoozalem 01 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Amazing climb - beautifully filmed. Perhaps it should top Dream of White Horses as the HVS to aspire to?
 AP Melbourne 02 Jul 2016
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Magnificent film there Dave, well done and thanks for posting.
AP.
 Peter Walker 02 Jul 2016
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Fantastic, well done squire.
 Jimbo C 02 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

That looked like an amazing day out. Very well captured, and lovely that the focus of the film is how much you all enjoyed the climb!
 BALD EAGLE 02 Jul 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> Lovely! Your filming is getting more hi-tec with lots of different viewpoints. Very beautiful.

Thanks for taking the time to post your kind words Lizzie and glad you enjoyed the video! Cheers Dave
 henwardian 02 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Good video. Great variety of camera shots to keep things interesting and the route looks cracking!
Sadly it is about a million miles away from Scotland so I doubt I'll be on it anytime soon!

The rock quality actually looked surprisingly ok.
 BALD EAGLE 02 Jul 2016
In reply to Mike-W-99:

> Great. Such a long way away though!

> Not climbing Dave?

Cheers Mike! I was on the route honest guvnor, the one with the headcam + camcorder filming the close ups whilst my better half Emma Cava was filming the long shots on the adjacent headland about 1km away... Cheers Dave
 BALD EAGLE 02 Jul 2016
In reply to Big Steve:

> I loved the film, very well done. Good choice of music too. That ridge looks scarily narrow in places

> I've never climbed on chalk, it would be good to give this a go one day

Thanks a million for the positive feedback Steve and that ridge is thinner than an anorexic After Eight mint in places... Cheers Dave
 BALD EAGLE 02 Jul 2016
In reply to Kafoozalem:

> Amazing climb - beautifully filmed. Perhaps it should top Dream of White Horses as the HVS to aspire to?

A big humongous thanks for posting your kind words Kafoozalem as it makes all those long hours of editing worthwhile! A Dream of White Horses now there is a thought...
 leewil86 02 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant just want to get out now , amazing video
 BALD EAGLE 03 Jul 2016
In reply to AP Melbourne:

> Magnificent film there Dave, well done and thanks for posting.

...and many thanks for taking the time to post some positive feedback! Cheers Dave
In reply to UKC News:

Really enjoyed that, thank you.
 BALD EAGLE 03 Jul 2016
In reply to Peter Walker:

> Fantastic, well done squire.

Cheers Peter muchly appreciated!
 BALD EAGLE 03 Jul 2016
In reply to Jimbo C:

> That looked like an amazing day out. Very well captured, and lovely that the focus of the film is how much you all enjoyed the climb!

Indeed an amazing outing and one that will live long in my addled memory! Once we had got established at the top of the 1st pitch, after the stress of the 2 abs and racing the tide, we all had a hoot and laughed our way to the top of the route. Excellent fun and cannot recommend Skeleton Ridge enough!
 TMM 03 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Well done Dave, the standard of your videos is outstanding.

Just great to see climbers having such a great time and embracing such a unique position.

Thanks.
 sjminfife 03 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Amazing, You never fail to make an inspirational video. Thanks for posting.
sjm
 d_b 03 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Nicely done.

Would I be able to trouble you for a few dozen frames from your raw drone footage at some point? I think the ridge needs the 3D treatment!
 Col Kingshott 03 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Nice film. We did the route a couple of years ago. Amazing place and and an amazing climb. It was nice having the tourist boats going round and monitoring our progress. Haha.
 BALD EAGLE 03 Jul 2016
In reply to leewil86:

> Brilliant just want to get out now , amazing video

Hi leewil86 thanks a bunch for your kind words! Cheers Dave
 victorclimber 03 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

lovely Video but spoiled for me with the Young Dan ,Young Rich spiel ....
 BALD EAGLE 03 Jul 2016
In reply to Somerset swede basher:

> Really enjoyed that, thank you.

...and glad you enjoyed my wee video Mr swede basher! Cheers Dave
 BALD EAGLE 03 Jul 2016
In reply to TMM:

> Well done Dave, the standard of your videos is outstanding.

> Just great to see climbers having such a great time and embracing such a unique position.

Hey TMM thank you so much for taking the time to post your kind feedback! Cheers Dave

Michael Hood 03 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News: Up to the usual BEP quality - I enjoyed this film immensely.

I look forward to more BEP films, always well filmed and produced and above all, always fun.

BALD EAGLE 04 Jul 2016
In reply to sjminfife:

> Amazing, You never fail to make an inspirational video. Thanks for posting.

Aaaaaw thanks sjm and I am well made up you enjoy my wee videos! Happy Monday!
Cheers
Dave

BALD EAGLE 04 Jul 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

> Nicely done.

> Would I be able to trouble you for a few dozen frames from your raw drone footage at some point? I think the ridge needs the 3D treatment!

No problem Dave you are welcome to pop round our place one night this week with a flash or hard drive before my better half and I head off to Scotland on Friday? If not it will have to wait until our return...

Big Ger 04 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Lovely stuff. Unlike others here though I'm not in the slightest inspired, it looks well dodgy to me.
 petellis 04 Jul 2016
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Nicely shot video. Some lovely displays of classic british alpine "technique" in there too
 BALD EAGLE 04 Jul 2016
In reply to victorclimber:

> lovely Video but spoiled for me with the Young Dan ,Young Rich spiel ....

Hi there and very glad you enjoyed the video but not the spiel young victor! Oops sorry did it again...
 BALD EAGLE 04 Jul 2016
In reply to Michael Hood:

> Up to the usual BEP quality - I enjoyed this film immensely.

> I look forward to more BEP films, always well filmed and produced and above all, always fun.

Hey Michael a huge thanks for your kind words and very glad you enjoyed the video! Plenty more in the pipeline, hopefully something Scottish and coastal soon, so watch this space... Cheers Dave
 Graeme Hammond 04 Jul 2016
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

> Always wanted to do this, now I want to do it more.

> Great effort in putting this all together, not to mention some good advice on logistics.

ditto, have waned to do this for a while too since seeing a photo on this site. Great video, it captures the experience well by the looks of it. Lets hope there isn't a queue next time there is an early morning low tide on a Saturday or there could be some trading water to be done.
 Michael Hood 05 Jul 2016
In reply to Graeme Hammond: I'm amazed that the 1st ascent was as recent as 1984 - you'd have expected Alistair Crowley or similar to do it, certainly would have expected someone earlier than Mick Fowler.

BALD EAGLE 05 Jul 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> Lovely stuff. Unlike others here though I'm not in the slightest inspired, it looks well dodgy to me.

Cheers Ger the chalk on the ridge was remarkably hard (for chalk!) and solid in most places! The 90 metre chossy ab down the tottering loose chalk cliff from the ab point into Scratchell Bay was the dodgiest + most scary part for me...
 BALD EAGLE 05 Jul 2016
In reply to petellis:

> Nicely shot video. Some lovely displays of classic british alpine "technique" in there too

Hi Pete many thanks for your kind words and a lot alpine à cheval antics made for a very entertaining day! Cheers Dave
 d_b 05 Jul 2016
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

I don't think I will manage it this week. Have fun in Scotland.
In reply to UKC News:

You've done it again, Dave ! Thanks so much for another great video . Any plans for a full length feature film of a longer trip ?
 BALD EAGLE 07 Jul 2016
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

> ditto, have waned to do this for a while too since seeing a photo on this site. Great video, it captures the experience well by the looks of it. Lets hope there isn't a queue next time there is an early morning low tide on a Saturday or there could be some trading water to be done.

Hey Graeme a maa-hoosive thanks for the kind feedback and I hope you get on the route sometime soon as it is an amazing adventure day out! Cheers Dave
 BALD EAGLE 07 Jul 2016
In reply to I like climbing:

> You've done it again, Dave ! Thanks so much for another great video . Any plans for a full length feature film of a longer trip ?

Heya ILC and a big thanks for taking the time to post your kind words! I never say never but no plans for a full length feature as I think nowadays most folks want a video which is just a few minutes long rather than anything longer... Cheers Dave
 BALD EAGLE 08 Jul 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

> I don't think I will manage it this week. Have fun in Scotland.

Thanks Dave I'll be back on Sunday 24th so try calling me then!

d_b 08 Jul 2016
In reply to BALD EAGLE:
In the mean time this is what I managed to get by grabbing some frames from the youtube version...

http://www.spectral3d.co.uk/test/skeleton/

It's a bit noisy and there are some holes but hopefully frames from more vantage points and putting more effort into masking out the sea will fix that.

The textured mesh version looks pretty nice but I'm still working on cleaning it up.
Post edited at 23:13
 BALD EAGLE 10 Jul 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

> In the mean time this is what I managed to get by grabbing some frames from the youtube version...

> It's a bit noisy and there are some holes but hopefully frames from more vantage points and putting more effort into masking out the sea will fix that.

> The textured mesh version looks pretty nice but I'm still working on cleaning it up.

Ha ha brilliant it looks a bit like a white stealth bomber! Pop by when I get back from Scotland (currently on Islay!) in a couple of weeks...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...