UKC

Does anybody 're wire' climbing protection...?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 01 Jul 2016

Unearthed from the depths of the 'climbing cupboard' (rip) at my childhood home is a loose Black Diamond hexcentric size one, with holes which are only big enough to take 5mm cord (more or less).

Does anybody know of somewhere who might put it onto wire as a wired hexcentric for me?

Thanks all.
Post edited at 19:19
 zimpara 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Timmd:

If it looks like it's 5mm it'll be 6mm, and if it is 6mm it will take 7mm with some finger strength and persistance. Same size hole as the smaller sized dmm wallnuts on rope?

Don't know any swaggers
OP Timmd 01 Jul 2016
In reply to zimpara:
Ah, interesting, thanks. I'll go and have a fiddle and look up the best kind of cord to use. It's probably more out of nostalgia that I want to thread it really as it's from the 'climbing cupboard' in my childhood home, but that's cool.

Thanks - very speedily helpful.
Post edited at 19:29
 LGraham 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Timmd:

You can get 5.5mm dyneema cord from Needle Sports, same strength as 9mm.
OP Timmd 01 Jul 2016
In reply to LGraham:

Cool, that's even better, I can use it in really long and narrowing cracks if I 'sling' it long enough. Glad I kept it.
 mwr72 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Timmd:

I'm able to swage swr but can't load test or certify once done.
Tbh it would cost more to go to the trouble of re wiring than what it's worth.
 John Kelly 01 Jul 2016
In reply to LGraham:

tricky to tie they reckon - very slippy - triple fisherman's is the recommended knot
 ScraggyGoat 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Timmd:
If it's the same vintage as my hex 1, 5.5mm cord is a bit too thick. Struggled to get it through the hex 2 holes. I have my old hexes 1-5 on long cord with individual krabs so they don't need extending as a very light scrambling rack; good for the Cuillins etc
Post edited at 22:28

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...