UKC

Tour de France (may contain spoilers)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The Tour starts today. Cavendish to win first stage??
 Big Top 02 Jul 2016
In reply to Christheclimber:

Unfortunately Cav seems to have lost his edge of late and having split objectives with the Olympic track events may diminish his chances further. I hope not, but suspect that Kittel will be the man to beat (unless the forecast crosswinds rule him out before the finish of course).
 tim000 02 Jul 2016

forecast is for wind . so could slip into echelons. I will be glued to the TV .
In reply to Big Top:

Think you are probably right. I don't think Cav has ever won the opening stage?
 Kimono 02 Jul 2016
They're riding into a 25kph headwind right now....eek! Not the conditions in which I would personally try for the break-away

In reply to tim000:

Only just turned on ITV4, Contador involved in a crash, how serious was it?
Moley 02 Jul 2016

> The Tour starts today. Cavendish to win first stage??

Great start - oh you doubters
 Mike Highbury 02 Jul 2016
In reply to Moley: Excellent and I see garbled interviews have become quite the thing; not quite Sagan quality but a good start, certainly.
 Big Top 02 Jul 2016
In reply to Big Top:

Well I called that one wrong; and am pleased to see Cav in yellow. Excellent performance.
 tim000 02 Jul 2016

finished in the peloton but looks pretty bad . lots of road rash on his right hand side . mainly shoulder , elbow and hip . wont be sleeping too well for a few nights.
In reply to tim000:

Ouch!
 tim000 02 Jul 2016

fans video on the ITV highlight show shows it was contadors fault . slid out on the corner taking down 2 other riders . now crashed in 4 of the last 5 tours .
 Greasy Prusiks 02 Jul 2016

Yes! Go Cav!

Any predictions for day 2. Is Greipel the one to watch as Geraint Thomas predicts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/36648909
 DaveHK 03 Jul 2016

> Any predictions for day 2. Is Greipel the one to watch as Geraint Thomas predicts?

You mean Sagan? Seems like a safe bet but depends on just how tough that final climb is. Sounds like it might be bit much for Sagan. Dan Martin?
Removed User 03 Jul 2016
Very exciting finish - but what's happened to Phil and Paul? I think I actually prefer Ned and David's commentary overall, but somehow things don't seem quite right without the Liggettisms...

DaveHK 03 Jul 2016
In reply to Removed UserBwox:

Liggett lost all credibility with his response to the Lance Armstrong affair.
 Pedro50 03 Jul 2016

From Cycling Weekly:

Many have asked us where Liggett and Sherwen have gone – and the short answer is: they are still there, just not on ITV.

ITV4 used to buy in Liggett and Sherwen’s commentary from an internationally distributed audio feed – the same commentary is used by NBC in America and SBS in Australia, among others. And that’s where you can still hear Liggett and Sherwen.

It made more sense for ITV to provide its own commentary to complement Tour coverage presenters Gary Imlach and Chris Boardman.

DaveHK 03 Jul 2016

Stuyven is shaping up to be a really interesting rider.
 DaveHK 03 Jul 2016

Wow! What a finish, slow mo sprint. Those time gaps were bollocks, thought Stuyven was going to do it.
Clauso 03 Jul 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

> Wow! What a finish, slow mo sprint. Those time gaps were bollocks, thought Stuyven was going to do it.

Had me wondering if they were showing the gap back to Cav!
 DaveHK 03 Jul 2016
In reply to Clauso:

Think that might have been it.
 andy 03 Jul 2016
In reply to Clauso:

> Had me wondering if they were showing the gap back to Cav!

They were - there was a little yellow jumper by the time gap.
 tim000 03 Jul 2016

yep , time gaps were to the yellow jersey . if it had been to the main group it would have said group 2 .
In reply to DaveHK:

> You mean Sagan? Seems like a safe bet but depends on just how tough that final climb is. Sounds like it might be bit much for Sagan. Dan Martin?

Oops yes I think I do.......
In reply to tim000:

I'll need to catch up on today's stage as I've only just got back from climbing.
 Chris Harris 03 Jul 2016

> I think I actually prefer Ned and David's commentary overall, but somehow things don't seem quite right without the Liggettisms...

Dave was doing his best today, suggesting that some 128 metre high sea cliffs on the Cherbourg peninsula were the highest in Europe (someone clearly told him this was bollox, as he rapidly amended it to the slightly less bollox "Among the highest").
In reply to Chris Harris:

Any predictions for today's stage?
In reply to Big Top:

> Well I called that one wrong; and am pleased to see Cav in yellow. Excellent performance.

Cav makes it 28 wins in the TDF. Good win for him today.

DaveHK 04 Jul 2016

Looking like he's back to his best. Nice to see that.
 balmybaldwin 04 Jul 2016

Great stuff from Cav he's still got it!
 Chris the Tall 04 Jul 2016

Great win by Cav - timed that lunge to perfection. Wonder if Griepl wasted some energy by being too far back with 2k to go, then panicked a bit when hit the front. And what's up with Kittle?

Has to be said, didn't think we'd see Cav return to winning multiple stages again this year (if ever) - his focus is on the olympics, the train isn't what it was, the competition stronger. Think we will have to wait til Thursday for the next instalment, and then the middle of next week for another. Rather suspect Cav won't continue til Paris - it's a brutal final week - but maybe he can get another, go past Hinault and get closer to Mercx
 The New NickB 04 Jul 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Nice to see him having a good chat with Le Patron and clearly a lot of respect coming from Hinault as well.
 Chris the Tall 04 Jul 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

Would have been funnier if Hinault had hurled him off the podium as an imposter !

Go Cav go, his timing was spot on. He now needs 6 more wins to equal Eddy Merckx's record of 34 wins. Is this possible?
 Graham Booth 05 Jul 2016
In reply to Big Top:

Ha what a load of tosh!! Proven somewhat wrong!!
 Chris the Tall 05 Jul 2016

Been looking a the breakdown of his wins over the ten years he has risen the tour (2007-16)

0-4-6-5-5-3-2-0-1-2*

I think he does have more wins in him - not necessarily pure sprint stages, but maybe days when he can use his experience and race craft, like the echelon stage in 2013. Some suggestion that yesterday's near funereal pace helped him - less time at full gas meant it was more like a track workout than the usual road stage.

Today's stage looks a bit lumpy, and even longer, but who knows what will happen. Apparently the DSs of the wild card teams can expect a call from proudhomme to remind them they ought to be a lot of more active on these transition stages. So I reckon today could be more of stage for Degenkolb or Kristoff than Cav, kit, or gripe. Sagan will still be somewhere in the top 5!
 JLS 05 Jul 2016

>"it was more like a track workout than the usual road stage"

140 miles (at any pace) is a long track race.
Cav isn't what he once was. The wins weren't emphatic but a win is a win. I'd love to see him take another 2 or 3 stages but I expect he'll do well to get another on this Tour. I hope I'm proved wrong and he profits from growing confidence while the his rivals suffer doubt.
 DaveHK 05 Jul 2016
In reply to Graham Booth:

> Ha what a load of tosh!! Proven somewhat wrong!!

You of course knew all along...
Removed User 05 Jul 2016

> Rather suspect Cav won't continue til Paris

It'd be great if he did, though, and won again on the last day - that'd make it five times, wouldn't it? But I suppose it would leave him battered for the Olympics.

Win for Kittel. Daniel McCay is doing well.
 gethin_allen 05 Jul 2016

On the subject of spoilers.
I often work late and don't have a TV/sky/eurosport or any other service so I try to catch up with the tour on the ITV on demand service.
Every day so far someone or some random service has told me the result before I get a chance to watch.
Today was the worst so far, I've been really busy in work and have avoided doing anything on the internet all afternoon so as not to hear the result.
This was going great until I navigated to the ITV on demand Le Tour website where BOOM! there's the result, right on top, just before I manage to watch it.
F$%£ers!
 Chris the Tall 05 Jul 2016

McLay is a very exciting prospect- presume you're seen this video from earlier in the year

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/racing/dan-mclays-sprint-win-gp-de-dena...

Odd one today, Soudal looked to have controlled it perfectly and EQS looked out of it, but Griepl didn't have it, Cav got boxed in behind him, the finish wasn't as hard as been expected and all of a sudden Kittle is there to win it by a whisker. But at least I was right that Kristoff and Sagan would be up there.

Maybe Sagan again for tomorrow, but should be some GC action too ( though apparently they have been getting some grief for being too active in the flat stages)
Removed User 05 Jul 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

Just had precisley the same fecking thing happen to me! And to make matters worse todays show is still not bloody up let!
 balmybaldwin 06 Jul 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

Irritating isn't it!

ALthough I have to admit I can't find highlights on the day of the stage on the god awful ITV hub app I use on my tablet I can only ever get yesterday's highlights. is there an alternative on a full browser?
 The New NickB 06 Jul 2016
In reply to balmybaldwin:

That has shaken things up a bit!
 DaveHK 06 Jul 2016

Another day of old school racing!
 Chris the Tall 06 Jul 2016

How on earth does a rider with the pedigree of GVA get a 5 minute lead ? Wonder when (if ever) someone last had such a lead in the first week, or such a lead and not go on to win. Remember chiappucci taking 10 minutes in 1990, and almost keeping it to the end, but think he was in a break of 4. Ok, GVA isn't a noted climber, but he has an impressive record in the classics.

Was everyone expecting Tinkoff to do all the work ? Seen a comment from Sean Yates that they were juggling 3 balls - Sagan, Bertie, Majka - and managed to drop all three!
 DaveHK 06 Jul 2016

GVA will surely lose 20 mins on the first proper mountain day though?
 JLS 06 Jul 2016

In 1984 the a large break in the early stages of the Tour gained over 20 minutes. Vincent Barteau held out for 12 days in Yellow with some epic battles in the mountains to limit his loses.
 DaveHK 06 Jul 2016
In reply to JLS:

Remember Pascal Lino?
 JLS 06 Jul 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

I rembered the name and that he was in the RMO team but I'd forgot about Yellow jersey exploits...

> McLay is a very exciting prospect- presume you're seen this video from earlier in the year

Cheers for the link, that was an impressive sprint.

Only just caught up with yesterday's stage. GVA did really well with his breakaway. Froome is in a good position; Contador was clearly suffering and Nibali disappointing and is 14.06 down on GVA. A day for the sprinters today.
 Chris the Tall 07 Jul 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

> GVA will surely lose 20 mins on the first proper mountain day though?

Possibly, but he's a very capable rider, and whilst he has focused on the classics, he can climb a bit. He won Tirreno-Adriatico this year, though undoubtedly helped by cancellation of the Queen stage. You could see him holding on to yellow through the Pyrenees, or at least till Sunday. But one major aspect is that BMC have TJ and Porte going for GC - they don't want to waste energy hanging on in a futile cause, and need to find some way to turn it to their advantage. It's this sort of thing that makes the race so fascinating!
 DaveHK 07 Jul 2016

Cav. Magnificent.
Excellent win for Cav that makes it 3 for this tour, outstanding!
McLay also had a great stage, he's one to watch.
Post edited at 16:47
In reply to DaveHK:

> Cav. Magnificent.

Yes magnificent how many more???
 DaveHK 07 Jul 2016

Can't see him going all the way to Paris, suspect he'll pull out to prepare for Olympics.
 Chris the Tall 07 Jul 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

He's back in Green for now, so hopefully he'll feel honour bound to stick around for a few days and not do a Cippo. Three tough days til the rest day, then a couple of potential sprints, then Ventoux. I suspect his place in the Olympic team was based on clear assurances of what he would and wouldn't do, and DD certainly can't complain as few could have imagined such a return.

And beating Kittle like that, with Griepl nowhere to be seen, what a return to form !
 DaveHK 07 Jul 2016

Yup, it's brilliant to see.
 DaveHK 07 Jul 2016

Just watched that again and it really was a masterclass.
 abr1966 07 Jul 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

I've just got home from being abroad with no TV or papers! Missed the first five stages but what a great surprise to find out the results so far!!
I hadn't written Cav off but thought he may just get one stage but 3 so far is absolutely brilliant! So glad he's beaten Kitel....I just can't take to him at all.
 DaveHK 07 Jul 2016
In reply to abr1966:

> I've just got home from being abroad with no TV or papers! Missed the first five stages but what a great surprise to find out the results so far!!

> So glad he's beaten Kitel....I just can't take to him at all.

He's like Drago in Rocky IV.

mark s 07 Jul 2016

me and a lad at the gym last week said cav was done now,past it.
i saw him tonight and the first thing he said was 'we were wrong'
 JLS 07 Jul 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Oh, I thing I've just been proven wrong. On today's performance he certainly does look the fastest in the race.
 Aly 07 Jul 2016
In reply to mark s:

Me too, I never thought he'd wear yellow and get 3 out the first 6 stages. Delighted for him and I'd love to see him get another one or two.
 elsewhere 08 Jul 2016

Lovely bit of weaving through by mvlsy on that video.

Never heard of mclay before todsy but within half a wheel of Kittel and Cavendish today is very good.

Feel sorry for Kittel in his role as cav's lead out man.

Andy Clarke 08 Jul 2016
In reply to elsewhere:

Nibali going to the Olympics while Cummings stays at home and watches it on TV? Surely some mistake!
 andy 08 Jul 2016
In reply to Andy Clarke:
> Nibali going to the Olympics while Cummings stays at home and watches it on TV? Surely some mistake!

As Boardman said they need to find some wiggle room to get him in. He'd be an awesome rider for Froome.

How far down is Mr Nibbles? Is he definitely out if contention for GC?
Post edited at 17:08
 Chris the Tall 08 Jul 2016
In reply to andy:

> As Boardman said they need to find some wiggle room to get him in. He'd be an awesome rider for Froome.

Brilliant win today, but whilst I think he should be in the Olympic team, and agree with him that the GB/sky line is blurred, I can also see logic. He wouldn't go a support rider for Froome, he would go as plan B. But there are others in the team who might do just as well in that role - Thomas for example - but are more dependable in the support role. And if the chosen strategy is for all 4 to support Froome, rather than hedging bets with Plan B, then they have got the best team for that.

> How far down is Mr Nibbles? Is he definitely out if contention for GC?

Yep, he lost a bucketload earlier in the week so he'd be able to get in a break today. But he might be looking at KOM.
 The New NickB 08 Jul 2016
In reply to andy:

He isn't a support rider though, because Dimension Data are are a stage win rather than a GC team, they can afford to let him hover around near the Lanterne Rouge and just pick out a couple of stages to target for victory like today. As Chris suggests, he might be a good plan B on the right course, but he might also make plan A more likely to fail.
 andy 08 Jul 2016

> He isn't a support rider though, because Dimension Data are are a stage win rather than a GC team..

Was just thinking as a strong lad he could, if asked, do a job for Froome or Thomas?

Although Froome, Thomas, Yates, Stannard and Kenneugh look a decent enough line-up!

abr1966 08 Jul 2016
In reply to andy:

That was Cummings as pure class today.....if I'd been a pro I'd have been like Cummings!
 elsewhere 08 Jul 2016
Of geek interest or what sponsors get for their money.

https://www.google.co.uk/trends/explore#q=Dimension%20data

Huge spike (200% increase) in search traffic for dimension data on first day of the tour.

The New NickB 08 Jul 2016
In reply to abr1966:
Great tour for cyclists from the North West*, Cavendish wins three stages, wears yellow and is still in green, a brilliant win for Cummings today and a lad from my local cycling club is second overall and wearing white. He probably could have done without the inflatable dropping on him though.

* The region of England, although the Isle of Man obviously isn't part of England, we still see it as part of the region.
Post edited at 20:37
 nufkin 08 Jul 2016
In reply to elsewhere:

> Huge spike (200% increase) in search traffic for dimension data on first day of the tour

Having their logo appear regularly in the race info graphics can't do them any harm either
 Chris the Tall 09 Jul 2016

Not impossible that Yates could end up in Yellow today - although GVA has been so unpredictable so far that you might just find him hanging with the GC guys and nipping off to grab a few extra seconds at the end !

Bloody hell - footage of flame rouge incident

http://cyclocosm.tumblr.com/post/147127408817/this-is-ridiculous

Yates lucky to get away with just facial cuts after that.
 abr1966 09 Jul 2016

GVA is very impressive! Worn the yellow jersey with respect for it and he's very adaptable and canny! I think it'll be a full on day today....I suspect the climbers and GC guys will test each other out and there'll be a new yellow jersey holder later....I wouldn't be surprised if it's Froome or Valverde!
 Chris Harris 09 Jul 2016
> Bloody hell - footage of flame rouge incident

> Yates lucky to get away with just facial cuts after that.

"This video has been removed by the user"

Tryt:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/adam-yates-flamme-rouge-inflatable-banner-c...
Post edited at 12:19
 Oujmik 09 Jul 2016
In reply to Chris Harris:

Wow, that went down almost unfeasibly quickly and at the worst possible moment (well, unless it had waited for the peloton).
Moley 09 Jul 2016

Watching now, graffiti on the road (helicopter camera) clearly said "F**K LIMOGES".

What is that about, I thought that was a town? Anyone know?
 beh 09 Jul 2016
Unexpected, very unique descending from Froome.
 Rampikino 09 Jul 2016

Incredible to see Froome riding as he is.

Can he claim the stage win and be the 3rd Brit to do it this year and 5 of 8 stages?

Go on Froomey!
 abr1966 09 Jul 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

What a riding position!! Don't think my belly would allow that...
 Rampikino 09 Jul 2016
In reply to abr1966:

It worked!

Stage win and yellow.
 Andy Clarke 09 Jul 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

And done with absolute panache. Superb.
 Doug 09 Jul 2016
In reply to Moley:

> Watching now, graffiti on the road (helicopter camera) clearly said "F**K LIMOGES".

> What is that about, I thought that was a town? Anyone know?

Well it is a town, was going to post the same question, what has Limoges done to upset someone ?
 andy 09 Jul 2016
In reply to Rampikino:
Looks like Cav might have beaten the elimination time by catching the autobus - he looked dead and buried.
In reply to Rampikino:

Superb ride for Froome both uphill and downhill, well supported by his Sky team.
Moley 09 Jul 2016
In reply to Doug:

I wonder, a Brexit voter who misinterpreted something Farage said and took it out on Limoges?
 yorkshireman 09 Jul 2016
In reply to Moley:

> I wonder, a Brexit voter who misinterpreted something Farage said and took it out on Limoges?

I clearly saw FREXIT across the road yesterday but no idea about Limoges.

Great stage today - nice to see some flair from Sky
 Dave the Rave 09 Jul 2016
In reply to yorkshireman:

Has Froome got a time penalty for elbowing Quintana?

Wow - Froome going after multiple jerseys like the cannibal, descending like Sagan and punching idiots like the badger - chapeau!

But, he put in a lot of effort, and take a few risks, just to put 23secs into his rivals. Great to see Sky providing some entertainment for a change - though no doubt he'll now get even more roadside abuse - but is it confidence or nervousness about the final week?

Anyway, 3 different British stage winners in 3 days, Brits in 3 of the 4 jerseys, I think we can forget about the football now !
 Yanis Nayu 09 Jul 2016

How the hell he could pedal in that position I've no idea!

Yep, good tour for the Brits so far.
 JLS 09 Jul 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I'm not sure where he learned to pedal like that but in the good old days of Hein Verbruggen he'd have been taken from the field an shot for looking so unstylish. If this is what drug free cycling looks like, I say, "Come back Lance, all is forgiven."
 Pedro50 09 Jul 2016
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Has Froome got a time penalty for elbowing Quintana?

Don 't think so, he got a 200 Swiss franc fine for elbowing a twunt at the side of the road.
 Chris Harris 10 Jul 2016
In reply to Pedro50:

> Don 't think so, he got a 200 Swiss franc fine for elbowing a twunt at the side of the road.

Twunt should be the one getting fined.
 balmybaldwin 10 Jul 2016

Thought he got nice contact with his elbow too. Great to see.

Great innovative attack from Froome. Weird looking position, was convinced he was going to stick a knee in his wheel or something and face plant but kudos he pulled it off

What a tour for the Brits!
 Chris the Tall 10 Jul 2016

Quintana for the win today ?
 abr1966 10 Jul 2016

He looks good....let's see how he approaches today! Valverde to attack I reckon and aim to get Quintana up to him...Sky will need to mark them tight!
In reply to abr1966:

I hear that Contador has dropped out of the tour but not sure why?
 Welsh Kate 10 Jul 2016

Apparently a fever.
 Rampikino 10 Jul 2016

Claims of illness but seems a bit odd.
 Rampikino 10 Jul 2016

A general question:

Is the half-witted behaviour of some of the spectators just part of the tour or actually a menace?
 abr1966 10 Jul 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

Bit of both! It'll be worse in the Alps!!
 Rampikino 10 Jul 2016
In reply to abr1966:

Yes - true. Impossible to police too.

There has been some utter stupidity today from spectators.
 abr1966 10 Jul 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

Tough day racing today!! Top ride by Dumoulin, I really expected Quintana to have a go at Froome today but he wheel sucked all day!
In reply to Rampikino:

> A general question:

> Is the half-witted behaviour of some of the spectators just part of the tour or actually a menace?

I used to think it was part of the race but they are becoming increasingly more stupid. A few more punches needed?
In reply to abr1966:

Quintana is pinning his hopes on taking time off Froome in the final week - as he did last year. The time gap is still insignificant, despite all of the efforts by Sky. Long way to go.

Anyway, nice of the British riders not to steal Andy Murray's brief moment in the spotlight, and not go for a stage win today. So just the three trips to the podium, and just the top two and half on the GC !
 andy 10 Jul 2016
Ventoux on Wednesday, n'est pas? Gave Froome a bit of a rinsing last year up there, didn't he?

How long are the TTs?
 Yanis Nayu 10 Jul 2016
In reply to andy:

> Ventoux on Wednesday, n'est pas? Gave Froome a bit of a rinsing last year up there, didn't he?

> How long are the TTs?

Thursday foe Ventoux. TTs are 37kmand 17km.
In reply to andy:

> Ventoux on Wednesday, n'est pas? Gave Froome a bit of a rinsing last year up there, didn't he?

> How long are the TTs?

22 and 10 - so both quite short, and the second has an climb in the second half. Quintana is a pretty decent TT-er so any gains will be in seconds not minutes.

I've got a feeling Froome will be looking to attack on Ventoux.
 abr1966 10 Jul 2016

Well he's got form of dropping Quintana on ventoux!
If you're right about Movistar tactics to attack on the last week Sky could do with attacking sooner using Thomas etc and make them chase. Valverde usually has a couple of very good days and Froome usually 1-2 bad days....it could be a very interesting time ahead. I'm not sure Froome has to chase Martin or Yates each time as I can't see them as GC contenders but it'll play in to Quintana's hands if he keeps chasing...
 Dave the Rave 10 Jul 2016
In reply to andy:

N'est ce pas?
 andy 10 Jul 2016
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> N'est ce pas?

Oui. But actually I've got my stages AND my French mixed up.

Froome rinsed Quintana on Ventoux in 2013 but it was last year they released all his power numbers up there.

I'll get my manteau.
 balmybaldwin 11 Jul 2016

Is it a rest day today?
 richardr 11 Jul 2016

Yep
 nniff 11 Jul 2016

I wouldn't mind betting that we have a few go down with illness after yesterday's rain and hail - it often seems to be the way.
 Mike Highbury 11 Jul 2016
In reply to nniff:
> I wouldn't mind betting that we have a few go down with illness after yesterday's rain and hail - it often seems to be the way.

That's one version of why people fall ill after a rest day.
Removed User 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Pedro50:

> Don 't think so, he got a 200 Swiss franc fine for elbowing a twunt at the side of the road.

But Froome hardly looks like he's responsible for what happens with his elbows when he's pedalling.
 Andy Say 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Moley:

> Watching now, graffiti on the road (helicopter camera) clearly said "F**K LIMOGES".

> What is that about, I thought that was a town? Anyone know?

Saw that myself. Inter-regional rivalry?
 nufkin 12 Jul 2016
Poor old Peter - a win's a win for Orica, I suppose, and they did what was necessary to get it, but it doesn't really seem like it was in the best spirit of things

In reply to nufkin:

Got to feel sorry for Sagan, but it is exactly what he would have expected and what any other team would do if they had three in a break.
 Yanis Nayu 13 Jul 2016
In reply to mountain.martin:

> Got to feel sorry for Sagan, but it is exactly what he would have expected and what any other team would do if they had three in a break.

I thought Sagan was a bit dim to be honest, as much as I like the guy.
 Mike Highbury 13 Jul 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> I thought Sagan was a bit dim to be honest, as much as I like the guy.

Really? He had two choices: to chase down Impey and lose unless he got lucky, of course; or not to do so and lose, certainly.
 Chris the Tall 13 Jul 2016
In reply to nufkin:

> Poor old Peter - a win's a win for Orica, I suppose, and they did what was necessary to get it, but it doesn't really seem like it was in the best spirit of things

Eh ? "The spirit of things" ? You engineer a situation where you have 3 in the final 7 and you should then gift the win to an opponent just cos he has great hair, a cheeky grin and a squeaky voice ?

Bluffing and brinksmanship are key skills that add to the interest of the sport.
 nufkin 13 Jul 2016

> Eh ? "The spirit of things" ? You engineer a situation where you have 3 in the final 7 and you should then gift the win to an opponent just cos he has great hair, a cheeky grin and a squeaky voice ?

> Bluffing and brinksmanship are key skills that add to the interest of the sport

Well, of course Orica are going to try to win, and well done them for doing so. I was just thinking Matthews' victory - as nice as it is for him - was a bit cynical; he didn't seem to do any work at the front (though I did only see the highlights), and all the impetus appeared to come from Sagan. It looks like he got the Combative award, however, as well as the Green, so it's not like his feistiness was for nothing

Brilliant or stupid ?
Moley 13 Jul 2016

Wow, great race at the end, completely unpredictable and Froome in there mixing it, great to see him racing and attacking.
 Andy Clarke 13 Jul 2016
In reply to Moley:

Yes, more panache from Froome. The other GC contenders are starting to look pretty unimaginative by comparison. Quintana seems a little lost as soon as Froome's wheel disappears! Tomorrow should be interesting.
In reply to Andy Clarke:

I think Froome is counting on tomorrow's stage being changed due to the high winds on Ventoux. One possibility is they finish at Chalet Reynaud half-way up, another is that they have to avoid Ventoux altogether. A lot of effort for a mere 10 seconds when you've got two big days coming up, but if he can recover tomorrow he can take more time in the TT on Friday.

Certainly can't be accused of being predictable !
 abr1966 13 Jul 2016

Tomorrow's stage shortened by 10k I think due to high winds on ventoux. Sagan looked very strong today and a quality move by Froome with G in support. Sky riding tactically well and using opportunity when it's there...
 Yanis Nayu 13 Jul 2016
In reply to Mike Highbury:

I only saw the last few k, the break was away and I thought he was doing too much on the front. When I raced I was a sprinter and did the absolute minimum to get to the finish with the energy to sprint.
 Yanis Nayu 13 Jul 2016
In reply to Moley:

> Wow, great race at the end, completely unpredictable and Froome in there mixing it, great to see him racing and attacking.

Brilliant stage, and great tactics by Froome and Sagan. Old Tinkov is a character isn't he?
 andy 13 Jul 2016
In reply to abr1966:

> Tomorrow's stage shortened by 10k I think due to high winds on ventoux.

Shortened by 6k - the climb's now 10k to Chalet Reynard.

abr1966 13 Jul 2016
In reply to andy:

Ahh....that's it! I had a feeling I'd mixed up the 6 and 10 when I pressed submit! Let's see if Quintana does something....
 JLS 13 Jul 2016

>"A lot of effort for a mere 10 seconds"

It looked like a big effort but was it really? 1/4 share of 15min effort. I expect his powers of recovery will see him alright. Given it's come after a rest day and yesterday's procession he probably needed a wee blow out before tomorrow's stage to be firing on all cylinders.
In the end 10 seconds wasn't a great gain but on another day the same move might have netted 40 seconds and been a real coup.
In reply to JLS:

Yep, on reflection. a good use of energy, particularly with the shortening of tomorrow's stage, and a good blast for the legs. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes on the attack again tomorrow
 elsewhere 13 Jul 2016
In reply to JLS:
Marginal gains - ten seconds here or ten seconds there and soon enough you're winning.

Froome - funny to see him take yellow with what the others think is his weakest.

The mountain stages are not mountain top finishes so froome must have been practicing descending and pedddling in that crazy position.
Nothing improvised despite what he said.

Brilliant to see yellow and green working together on a sprint stage!
Excellent tactics by froome and saga was happy.
 balmybaldwin 13 Jul 2016

Looks like they'll be climbing into a headwind tomorrow which will make attacking all the more devastating but also much harder to stay away with out help, with a shorter climb it will be very interesting racing
 Yanis Nayu 14 Jul 2016

Jesus wept! What happened there?!

Hope they sort that out for Froome. He was putting time into Quintana.
 andy 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu: Unbelievable! Quintana losing time but Froome now in 6th. Bonkers.

Can't believe they won't change that result though.
 danm 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

That was bonkers! Having been on the Ventoux for the 2013 Tour, I can see how this could easily happen - many people have been drinking in the sun all day and get carried away cheering the riders on or trying to get a good view of them. Not sure what the comissionaires can do, but it will definitely stick in the craw of the other GC leaders because nobody wants someone to lose the Tour because of something like that.
 wbo 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Christheclimber: motorbikes , again!!! Plus a total lack of crowd control. Horrible for Froome and Porte. Fix this comissaires

Chris the Tall 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Absolute farce - wonder if the guy holding up a sign up was somehow involved

Obviously if Froome hadn't been staring at his stem he'd have been able to stop !

I would have thought that they would use their discretion and apply the 3k rule, and give Froome and Porte the same time as Mollema

On the plus side - Yates could be in Yellow !
 earlsdonwhu 14 Jul 2016

I was impressed by Froome's speed on foot with his cleats on and after 200 kms of racing.

The crowds have just got ridiculously out of control. Froome should have been commended the other day rather than fined for punching that guy.
 Pedro50 14 Jul 2016

Surely Yates would be encouraged to decline yellow.
 andy 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Pedro50:

There's no yellow jersey presentation yet, so they're obviously having a ponder...
 andy 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Pedro50:

Apparently they're considering taking the time gaps at the point Porte etc crashed - seems fair. They were in the last km I think?
In reply to Pedro50:

I reckon it's a really unfair position to put the young lad in, particularly as he is due to ride with Froome at Rio, but if the Coms decide the result should stand....

But it looks like Froome is staying in yellow....
 earlsdonwhu 14 Jul 2016

Froome to stay in yellow with increased lead gap of 47 secs.
 beh 14 Jul 2016
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Looks like they've given Froome same time as Mollema? Same 56s gap as yesterday in standings.
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Yep, right decision

Let's not forget Mollema also crashed, so the gaps aren't as big as they would have been.

I've got a feeling the Yates group was also held up for a few seconds. Quintana and Valv lost 7 seconds to them, so I wonder if they had already been dropped by the time they got to the incident.
 beh 14 Jul 2016

Seems fair. Don't think anyone could disagree with that in the circumstances.

Still, yellow jersey running up Ventoux potentially very embarrassing for the sport.
 Mike Highbury 14 Jul 2016
In reply to beh:

> Seems fair. Don't think anyone could disagree with that in the circumstances.

Err, excuse me.

> Still, yellow jersey running up Ventoux potentially very embarrassing for the sport.

You reckon? Amused after a low point in the day.
 andy 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Mike Highbury: earlier on there was a crash on a descent where I think they said three Sky riders came down (not Froome) and the text
commentary said "froome asked the peloton to wait for his team mates". Now I know they generally won't attack the yellow jersey after a mechanical etc, but does that usually extend to his team?
 elsewhere 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
Looked like a really good race until then, real pity not to see those three racing properly to the finish line.

balmybaldwin 14 Jul 2016

Yet another example of the UCI and race organisers not providing the security needed for the riders and again a motorbike involved . They are going to have to do something about it otherwise we are going to start getting rider strikes. Perhaps they will have to look at proper crowd control. At a guess the same numbers came to watch the climb but have 6k less to spread out on
In reply to andy:

> commentary said "froome asked the peloton to wait for his team mates". Now I know they generally won't attack the yellow jersey after a mechanical etc, but does that usually extend to his team?

No harm in asking is there !

Does seem a bit daft of the other teams to agree, since not crashing is part of the game. But maybe they are so used to Sky setting the pace they don't know what to do

Well, all the other teams seem to be letting Sky be their lead out train, so I'm not surprised if they all said "okay, we'll wait for your guys to catch up"...
cb294 14 Jul 2016
In reply to beh:

> Seems fair. Don't think anyone could disagree with that in the circumstances.

I can, easily. Classic unfair Sky bonus. Would they have done this for any other rider/team?

> Still, yellow jersey running up Ventoux potentially very embarrassing for the sport.

No, very funny!

CB

Rampikino 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

> A general question:

> Is the half-witted behaviour of some of the spectators just part of the tour or actually a menace?

Menace seems to be the conclusion!
 balmybaldwin 14 Jul 2016

Love that the helicopter caught the guy on the horse falling off!
 beh 14 Jul 2016
In reply to cb294:

> I can, easily. Classic unfair Sky bonus.

Unfair to who? Consensus from riders and commentators seems to be that it was fair.

> Would they have done this for any other rider/team?

In the same circumstances, why would they not?

> No, very funny!

Not particularly funny when the stupidity of a spectator could affect the result. Wrong sort of spectacle.

cb294 14 Jul 2016
In reply to beh:

Agree that the spectators behaved idiotically, running in front of that motorbike. Still, the crashed riders were too close behind the camera bike (ilegal drafting?), their mistake on a mountain stage, so bad luck. Different on a sprint, where the 3km rule is there from the beginning so that the GC riders' teams can pull out of the bunch sprint, which makes everyone a bit safer.

If you believe that they had reset the time if one of the riders between Froome and the stage winners had been knocked off his bike, dream on.

CB
 beh 14 Jul 2016
In reply to cb294:

> the crashed riders were too close behind the camera bike (ilegal drafting?), their mistake on a mountain stage, so
bad luck.

Nonsense, they have no control of how far the camera bike is ahead of them. Are you suggesting Porte should have slowed down? Being "too close" is entirely the fault of the spectator(s) slowing the bikes.

wbo 14 Jul 2016
In reply to cb294: that doesn't make any sense. The racers job is to get uphill as fast as possible. The bikes job is to take pictures at the same time s getting out of the way. Did you actually watch the incident, and the race just before? It's a problem of crowd control, and to a les extent of motorbike positioning

It seems a fair solution to me and particularly fair for Nairo Quintana

Pedro50 14 Jul 2016
In reply to wbo:

How can something be "particularly fair" to one individual? Non sequitur non?
cb294 14 Jul 2016
In reply to beh:

I agree that the rider should be as fast possible, but if an obstacle suddenly appears it is still the rider's own bad luck, same as any bog standard crash in the peloton in the flat and further away from the finish line. Exceptions are normally made only to make sprints safer, but explicitly not at mountain finishes.

Of course, if Froome crashes, new rules or unusual interpretations are quickly invented. I ask you again, do you seriously believe that the same would have happened if De Gendt, today's stage winner had crashed? Absolutely no chance, IMO.

Of course, the organizers should have put barriers further down, like at Alpe d'Huez, especially when the same number of spectators is squeezed into a shorter climb.

CB

gethin_allen 14 Jul 2016
In reply to beh:

> bad luck.

> Nonsense, they have no control of how far the camera bike is ahead of them. Are you suggesting Porte should have slowed down? Being "too close" is entirely the fault of the spectator(s) slowing the bikes.

Indeed, and it's not like you gain as much drafting at slow speeds going up hill.

When I saw the tour going through Bradfield a few years back the french police riders up front were riding so wide on the road they were virtually running over anyone even stood on the side of the road let alone in the middle of the road.

Someone should find that tw@t with the cardboard sign and the Polish flag on his back and kick him in the teeth.
In reply to cb294:

> I ask you again, do you seriously believe that the same would have happened if De Gendt, today's stage winner had crashed? Absolutely no chance, IMO.

If any other rider had the yellow jersey and crashed like that, then yes, of course they would have done exactly the same.

Stop with the 'Sky conspiracy' bollocks. Quintana benefitted by at least 15 seconds with the revised result, over what would have been the likely outcome if someone kept the morons out of the road.
 beh 14 Jul 2016
In reply to cb294:

> if an obstacle suddenly appears it is still the rider's own bad luck, same as any bog standard crash in the peloton in the flat and further away from the finish line.

There was nothing "bog standard" about this crash, no way Porte could have avoided crashing, hence why they intervened.

It's not the same bad luck if you get caught up in crash back in the peleton. You make your own luck by riding at the front and/or having good bike handling skills.

> I ask you again, do you seriously believe that the same would have happened if De Gendt, today's stage winner had crashed? Absolutely no chance, IMO.

A lot of variables to consider. If he had hit a spectator or camera bike, probably. They did it when Adam Yates was taken out by the flamme rouge, was that "bad luck"?
 elsewhere 14 Jul 2016
In reply to cb294:
> I can, easily. Classic unfair Sky bonus. Would they have done this for any other rider/team?

Yes.

In fact they did exactly the same thing by adjusting the results a week ago when Adam Yates and others when the 1km sign deflated and collapsed .
Post edited at 21:08
Gone for good 14 Jul 2016
In reply to beh:
It was a proper pile up. 4 motorbikes stopped very suddenly in the middle of a very congested road. Porte piles headfirst into the motorbike at the back. Froome and Mollena pile into Porte and the motorbike behind the racing trio piles into all 3 of them and trashes Froome bike.

By the way. Quintana was properly broken by Froome and Porte and had no chance of making any of the lost time back, he was 30 seconds behind at the time of the pile up, and did rather well out of the recalculated time.

The supporters showed their class by booing Froome when he was presented with the yellow jersey.
Just another routine day at Le Tour!
Post edited at 20:46
In reply to cb294:

> Agree that the spectators behaved idiotically, running in front of that motorbike. Still, the crashed riders were too close behind the camera bike (ilegal drafting?), their mistake on a mountain stage, so bad luck. Different on a sprint, where the 3km rule is there from the beginning so that the GC riders' teams can pull out of the bunch sprint, which makes everyone a bit safer.

Illegal drafting ? very good, for a minute I thought you might be serious, but clearly you are merely doing a satire on the people who are so desperate to have a go at Team Sky that they make up any old rubbish.
 Nevis-the-cat 14 Jul 2016
In reply to cb294:

Yes - they waited for Cadel when he was in yellow and hit some tacks a dickhead had put in the road. Valverde tried to make a break out of it and the peleton took a long time to forgive him.

In this case the Sky riders were taken out by an Orica rider (Hayman I think).

Riders respect the jersey.
In reply to cb294:
You ever pinned a number on?

You don't get a draft at 8mph up the Ventous, you do hope that the bike will part the overwhelming crowd of drunken fuds.
Post edited at 21:29
 Greasy Prusiks 14 Jul 2016

Why did Froome get booed on the podium?

There's plenty of reasons you could not like him but I don't understand why he got booed today? Was it the running?
 Wry Spudding 14 Jul 2016

Most likely that the horse was spooked by the helicopter.
Lusk 14 Jul 2016

> Love that the helicopter caught the guy on the horse falling off!

Funniest I've seen so far was those two pairs of feet being jiggled about last week.
 elsewhere 14 Jul 2016

On the neutral bike Froome looked like an adult on a kid's bike, couldn't you have a quick release seat post clamp for some rough size adjustment?
Post edited at 22:26
Gone for good 14 Jul 2016
In reply to elsewhere:

Apparently the bike had the wrong pedals and he couldn't clip his shoes. He would probably have continued on that bike if his shoes would have clipped in given he only had 600 metres to the finish line.

Wry Spudding 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:

The crash at 30km was Simon Gerrans (Orica) whose front wheel washed out beneath him on a descent corner, taking out Ian Stannard and Luke Rowe. Gerrans has abandoned with a tweeted X-ray of his shoulder.
In reply to RichMoss:

ah, bad luck. I like the little Aussie wheelsucker

Anyway.....

Who was the big winner today Froome or Quintana ?

In some of the previews it was said that CF would need at least 2 mins to withstand the expected NQ onslaught in the brutal final week. There was a feeling, partly based on what happened last year, that CF was better suited to punchy stages (and the first TT) but that NQ would prevail when it becomes really attrional.

NQ hasn't looked much of a threat so far, but has had a far less stressful and energetic race and has lost less than a minute. Ok he'll probably lose more tomorrow (but I reckon it will be only a minute or so, and that's assuming Froome was injured today). Is he doing the old rope-a-dope ?
Lusk 14 Jul 2016

As an only TdF watcher for the last three years, (therefore take little credence from my opinion!), the Columbian's blown it. He left it late last year and only made up a minute or so, and he got blown out today.
If I was still gambling, I'd be putting my cash on Froome.
 Fredt 15 Jul 2016

I would be surprised if the TT takes place today.
 elsewhere 15 Jul 2016
In reply to Gone for good:
I guess the teams and netral service must have contracts to use certain types of pedals, otherwise you'd think sky would make sure they were compatible with the neutral service bike.
 Mike Highbury 15 Jul 2016
In reply to Fredt:
> I would be surprised if the TT takes place today.

Why do you say that?
 Doug 15 Jul 2016

have you seen the news from Nice ?
In reply to elsewhere:
> I guess the teams and netral service must have contracts to use certain types of pedals, otherwise you'd think sky would make sure they were compatible with the neutral service bike.

Manufacturers pay a small fortune for teams and individual riders to use their equipment.
In reply to Doug:
> have you seen the news from Nice ?

Yes and this is a serious question, has France closed down?
Rigid Raider 15 Jul 2016
Being as the bikes are Mavic (badged at least) with Mavic equipment I expect they also have French pedals, i.e. Look Keos, which are incompatible with the much better Shimano pedals. So Mavic Libre Service has missed its moment and has some oeuf on its face today. If I was them I'd be fititng a couple of the bikes with Shimano SPD-SL pedals.
Post edited at 08:51
 Chris the Tall 15 Jul 2016
In reply to Fredt:

Apparently the stage is going ahead- dedicated to the Nice victims (not sure how ? ) - and the caravan will be silenced. If it was a road stage they could hold a minute's silence before or during the stage - but it's a bit more difficult on a TT.

One issue is that police will be diverted from the TDF to nice, which raises concerns
 Doug 15 Jul 2016

France hasn't closed down but as yesterday was a public holiday lots of people are having a long weekend, plus the school holidays have just started. I'm working at home today so I'm not sure what it's like in Paris but I suspect the atmosphere is a bit tense.
 r0b 15 Jul 2016
In reply to elsewhere:

When was the last time you saw a neutral service bike being used? It's incredibly rare, wouldn't make much sense for any team to compromise their equipment for the sake of a one in a thousand/million chance of needing a neutral service bike at a critical moment.
 The New NickB 15 Jul 2016
In reply to Rigid Raider:

The bikes are Canyon Ultimates and yes the pedals are Look, although they should have had bike with flats. Problem is there will be at least 3 different systems used in the peloton. Mavic make pedals, but I don't know if they are comparable with any of the other systems.
 balmybaldwin 15 Jul 2016

Mavic Neutral service - a perfect example of unnecessary bikes and cars in among the peleton- I suppose the wheel guys are at least useful once in a blue moon even if painfully slow
Fidman 15 Jul 2016

I wonder what is going to happen on the Champs-Elysees next Sunday, how can they secure that?

Another thing, does anyone else think that it is absolutely brilliant having David Miller describing what is going on in the racing? His insight is incredible.
Bogwalloper 15 Jul 2016
In reply to cb294:

> Agree that the spectators behaved idiotically, running in front of that motorbike. Still, the crashed riders were too close behind the camera bike (ilegal drafting?), their mistake on a mountain stage, so bad luck. Different on a sprint, where the 3km rule is there from the beginning so that the GC riders' teams can pull out of the bunch sprint, which makes everyone a bit safer.

> If you believe that they had reset the time if one of the riders between Froome and the stage winners had been knocked off his bike, dream on.

> CB

Shakes head and sighs.

Wally

It seems Quintana made good use of the Mavic wheel moto yesterday - took a cheeky tow to go past the crash point whilst Froome was wrestling with his broken bike

https://twitter.com/assekevin/status/753720450551836673

I presume it will overlooked as a heat of the moment response to the chaos all around, and the fact that it wasn't spotted by the commissars, but he was a very lucky boy yesterday
 GrahamD 15 Jul 2016
In reply to Fidman:

David Millar is brilliant and getting better. He is calling and explaining the moves / tactics at a much more insiteful level than I've heard on commentary before (before it was just "x is riding for their man y" all the time)
In reply to GrahamD:

Agree, but I'm starting to cringe every time I hear "it's bike racing"
 steveriley 15 Jul 2016

Millar is excellent, great at identifying riders from a distance, lots of insight into tactics, light on cheese anecdotes, really growing into the role. I think the adjusted result was pretty fair on balance with Quintana coming out of it slightly jammy.

Crowd control is never going to be perfect, how can it be with many 100,000 on the big climbs? It has to be largely self-policing but there do seem to more self-promoting bell ends than ever - the lycra onesie/mankini/smokebomb crowd. Hope some of them are shamed into calming down.
In reply to steveriley:
Hope to catch up with TDF doon but been hospitalised since Tuesday after climbing accident
Post edited at 12:31
 spartacus 15 Jul 2016

Sorry to hear that, can you get someone to record 1 Hour special on series link?
Watch when you get out.
 Greasy Prusiks 15 Jul 2016

Whish you a fast recovery.
 grommet 15 Jul 2016
In reply to Fidman:

Miller is great. I'm a bit of a fan. Loved his book, and follow him on twitter too. Apparently there are podcasts too from Boulting and Miller. Not subscribed yet as I fear I may need to get a life....
 Yanis Nayu 15 Jul 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

> David Millar is brilliant and getting better. He is calling and explaining the moves / tactics at a much more insiteful level than I've heard on commentary before (before it was just "x is riding for their man y" all the time)

Totally agree. He's among the most insightful pundits of any sport.
 Yanis Nayu 15 Jul 2016

> It seems Quintana made good use of the Mavic wheel moto yesterday - took a cheeky tow to go past the crash point whilst Froome was wrestling with his broken bike

> I presume it will overlooked as a heat of the moment response to the chaos all around, and the fact that it wasn't spotted by the commissars, but he was a very lucky boy yesterday

That's outrageous!
 grommet 15 Jul 2016

I follow the Giro, TDF, Vuelta and other races but not diligently. I only ever seem to remember everyone waiting for NQ to make a move, and he never does, or at least a sustained one, or is it me?
 balmybaldwin 15 Jul 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

It looks bad, but not sure you can draw any conclusions without seeing wider context was he holding on for a few seconds or minutes? if it happened around the crash I doubt it gave much if any advantage
 andy 15 Jul 2016
In reply to grommet:
> I follow the Giro, TDF, Vuelta and other races but not diligently. I only ever seem to remember everyone waiting for NQ to make a move, and he never does, or at least a sustained one, or is it me?

He took a fair chunk of time out of Froome in the last week last year, actually - can't remember if it was all one one stage or two, but he certainly finished a lot stronger.
In reply to grommet:

His crucial attack when he won the Giro came when there was some confusion as to whether or not the race was neutralized due to bad weather. Last year it seems he took 30 secs on stage 19, and 80 on 20 (Alpe d'huez), but i don't think we saw him doing much before that.

I guess when you are going for your 2nd or 3rd win you are expected to do so with more panache than your first, and he is (allegedly) still young.
Removed User 15 Jul 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Millar is great but Boult's pronunciation is far too professional, I miss Ligget's bad French.
 Hat Dude 15 Jul 2016
In reply to Removed User:

> I miss Ligget's bad French.

I miss his pearls of wisdom; one I particularly remember is

"David Zabriskie is a vegan which means he doesn't eat meat - in fact it means he doesn't eat anything."

Swirly 16 Jul 2016
In reply to Removed User:

Something to be aware of is the first time Boulting talked about Millar on air he commented on him just missing out on the "yellow jumper".
 tim000 16 Jul 2016
In reply to cb294:

> I can, easily. Classic unfair Sky bonus. Would they have done this for any other rider/team?

> No, very funny!

> CB

yes . they did the same for yates when the kilo to go banner came down .
 tim000 16 Jul 2016
In reply to cb294:
plus Quintana got an adjusted time as he was given the same time as yates dispite being 7 secs down at the finish. and he held on to the mavic moto to get a tow , which was overlooked.
Post edited at 15:26
 danm 16 Jul 2016
In reply to tim000:

Don't you mean Quin-tow-na? Cheeky little Colombian!
 Yanis Nayu 16 Jul 2016

Go Cav!
 abr1966 16 Jul 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Classic Cav finish....jumped Kitel perfectly! 4 stages....never expected he'd get 4!!
In reply to Aztec Bar:

I'm going to spend tomorrow in ITV catch up as I came out of hospital today. It looks like things got lively on Ventoux and Cav winning again wow.
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

> Whish you a fast recovery.

Thanks Greasy Prusiks, looks like a long slow recovery for me but I'm alive!!!
 Greasy Prusiks 16 Jul 2016

Not a problem. At least you've timed it to coincide with the tour.
Moley 16 Jul 2016
In reply to Big Top:

> Unfortunately Cav seems to have lost his edge of late and having split objectives with the Olympic track events may diminish his chances further. I hope not, but suspect that Kittel will be the man to beat (unless the forecast crosswinds rule him out before the finish of course).

Go on, go on, eat your hat or something
 Chris the Tall 16 Jul 2016

Also wishing you a speedy recovery- at least the highlights will keep entertained for a bit.

Win number 4 for Cav, made it look so easy to go past Kittel, then put it jeapody by not keeping his line straight. Kittel seemed to every bit as liable over the initial near-miss, and was dropping back when Cav moved right a second time, and still had plenty of room to play with. But it wasn't as clean as it could have been, and you can never be sure with race juries.
 abr1966 16 Jul 2016

Seemed clear to me from the overhead camera....the road veered in and Kittel had plenty of clear road.....seemed overly dramatic and looked like a footballer...
Gone for good 17 Jul 2016
In reply to abr1966:

Hopefully number 5 to come on the champs elysee. What a tour he is having. Kittel had nothing to offer yesterday other that a futile waving of the hand as Cav steamed ahead.

Thanks Chris for your best wishes, looking forward to today's stage which has already started...........I'll get watching.
 JamButty 17 Jul 2016

Bit dull today for the GC, has anyone got the nerve to challenge Froome (or ability!)

Overshadowed by this, in case you were wondering where Chris Boardman was - his mother was killed in a cycling accident. Really sad...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-36819791

andy 17 Jul 2016
In reply to JamButty:
Yes, just read about his mum. Very sad.
 Yanis Nayu 17 Jul 2016
In reply to JamButty:

I did wonder where he was. How tragic.
In reply to JamButty:

> Bit dull today for the GC, has anyone got the nerve to challenge Froome (or ability!)

Froome and the Sky team look very strong but I would have expected a strong challenge yesterday.
 steveriley 18 Jul 2016
In reply to JamButty:

Dreadful news. I've ridden those roads. I've sat in front of her at the velodrome at a chipper league event and warmed to her immediately. A family steeped in cycling. How dreadfully ironic that Chris has taken up the road safety baton in recent years.
 Chris the Tall 18 Jul 2016
In reply to steveriley:

Terrible news, now being reported as a hit and run

http://road.cc/content/news/197690-tributes-paid-after-chris-boardmans-moth...

So yesterday they were seeking witnesses and today they announce they are seeking the driver....
 Greasy Prusiks 19 Jul 2016

David Brailsford wound me up today with his interview about womens cycling. I've no idea if he could make it happen or not but I think it'd be great to have a womens team sky. Think of the number of blokes you see rolling round in sky kit, if the same effect could get some more women out it'd be pretty good.

A quick bit of googleing revealed that the team sky budget is £22 million and a pro women's team costs around £250k per year. Cough up Sky!
 andy 19 Jul 2016
Cav's jacked, I see. Big call - hope he can swap a Champs Elysees win for a gold in Rio.

And then get 5 stages next year!!
Lusk 19 Jul 2016
 Yanis Nayu 19 Jul 2016
In reply to Lusk:

Tinkov is nuts - I love him!
 Yanis Nayu 19 Jul 2016

I'd like to see a women's Team Sky - unless their budget made them embarrassingly dominant. On reflection, it would be no different from the blokes.
In reply to andy:

> Cav's jacked, I see. Big call - hope he can swap a Champs Elysees win for a gold in Rio.

> And then get 5 stages next year!!

I was surprised by that but you can see why. Thought he would've stood a good chance on the Champs Elysees but he clearly didn't fancy the next hard mountain days.
 Chris the Tall 19 Jul 2016
In reply to andy:

> Cav's jacked, I see. Big call - hope he can swap a Champs Elysees win for a gold in Rio.

> And then get 5 stages next year!!

Looking at the next four stages I don't blame him, in fact I'm surprised he stuck around as long as he did. Looking back it seems he was keen to do his bit on Mandela day as it was important to his team and the Quebeka charity - unfortunately it didn't work out for him or EBH. Still been a great tour for both him and the team.
 Mike Highbury 20 Jul 2016
> Looking at the next four stages I don't blame him, in fact I'm surprised he stuck around as long as he did. Looking back it seems he was keen to do his bit on Mandela day as it was important to his team and the Quebeka charity - unfortunately it didn't work out for him or EBH. Still been a great tour for both him and the team.

But what about his respect for the race?

In other rest day news I read much of Voigt's, Shut up legs, which trawls the depths of poor sporting autobiographies. Not as bad as Roche's, so bad that for a while I thought he it wrote himself, but getting there, certainly.
 Chris the Tall 20 Jul 2016

> But what about his respect for the race?

He's not exactly doing a Cippo is he ?
 The New NickB 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Sky are not the biggest spending team on the tour, I don't think they are even second.

Of course women's cycling already has an almost embarrassingly dominant team, in the form of Boel Dolmans.

Oh yes they are !

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/racing/tour-de-france/tour-de-france-te...

Quite surprised Sky haven't set up a women's team yet - would be good PR, lots of British talent and relatively cheap. I wonder if the fact that top 2 british women - Lizzie Armitstead and Dani King are in relationships with sky riders (Phillip Deignan & Luke Rowe) has had any bearing, given the issues at British Cycling over the years
 balmybaldwin 20 Jul 2016

(spoiler)
A win for Zakarin - So a russian winner - I wonder if he'll keep it given this week's revelations?
 Rampikino 20 Jul 2016

...and Froome surely has put another nail in the coffin for the other GC contenders. He is incredible.
 balmybaldwin 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

Yep. for a while Aru and Astana were looking strong, but as usual it was one of their "Big show of force" moments swiftly followed by their leader losing time - tactics in the astana outfit are dreadful (or their rmain riders just can't cut it) we've seen this behaviour in the last few tours.

Quintana looks done.

Only Porte and Yates showing any sign of pushing up

> Oh yes they are !

Except that article inflates the actual Sky budget by more than €5m.
Post edited at 17:12

Well it comes from Equipe, not known for their love of Sky, but do you have a better list ?

> Well it comes from Equipe, not known for their love of Sky, but do you have a better list ?

I've got the numbers for Sky.

http://inrng.com/2016/07/the-finances-of-team-sky-2015/
 Yanis Nayu 20 Jul 2016

The way Zakarin blew everyone away on the final climb today was awesome, but I have to admit I'm sceptical. He's already served a drugs ban.

Sky and Froome dominant, and Yates did brilliantly. I reckon he's the love child of Jonathan Davies and Adam Sandler...
 Mr Fuller 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Yeah, Zakarin's performance today was the first in this year's tour that had the alarm bells ringing for me. I think Millar in commentary revealed his opinion on it too when he said something like "this is... remarkable". Day after a rest day has often been a key doper's day!

I was pleased that Majka got dropped in a highly 'normal' fashion yesterday. I thought when he won the KOM jersey last time some of his performances were pretty suspect.
 elsewhere 21 Jul 2016
> Quintana looks done.

Not necessarily...

youtube.com/watch?v=m61JRKTDdY8&

Moley 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Do you think that Quintana's failure to attack so far is due to a "change of diet" from previous years?

I fear i view every extraordinary performance with suspicion, such as Zachariah yesterday but now also Quintana from before. Perhaps he is just having a bad tour? I don't know enough about cycling or doping to know what to believe, never mind, another stage to follow now
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
Excellent win for Froome today in the time trial.
Post edited at 16:34
 Bob Hughes 21 Jul 2016
Oh f&ck, why did I open this thread?
 Pedro50 21 Jul 2016

> The Tour starts today. Cavendish to win first stage??

But not the last sadly
 Yanis Nayu 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Bob Hughes:

Me too. My own fault...
 Chris the Tall 21 Jul 2016

> Excellent win for Froome today in the time trial.

Indeed, and I think it's fair to say he's wrapped up the overall win. But the rest of the podium is still up for grabs. Thought Yates was going to close the gap on Mollema, seems he faded near the end and just took 2 seconds in the end, but that's better than the time he lost in the first TT. Quintana looks done in, but Porte is clearly a threat
 Chris the Tall 21 Jul 2016

A much better source, but I couldn't find a list of all the teams (I did look!) so we can't really use it for comparisons. Not much doubt who has been the dominant team in the race, and it does seem they have spent their money wisely, in getting strong riders to be domestiques.
 andy 21 Jul 2016

> Indeed, and I think it's fair to say he's wrapped up the overall win. But the rest of the podium is still up for grabs. Thought Yates was going to close the gap on Mollema, seems he faded near the end and just took 2 seconds in the end, but that's better than the time he lost in the first TT. Quintana looks done in, but Porte is clearly a threat

I'm rooting for Porte. He's obviously improved a lot from not being Froome's number 2 (or as someone posted a couple of years ago when he became Sky's plan B "like Froome but a bit shitter") so without the puncture earlier he'd probably be solid in second.

I'd like to see a Froome - Yates - Porte podium.
 abr1966 21 Jul 2016
In reply to andy:

> I'd like to see a Froome - Yates - Porte podium.

Agreed....a 'deserving' podium!
 Greasy Prusiks 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Moley:
I've watched/done a fair old amount of cycling and personally I reckon his tour is well within the realms of just having a bad year.

Regardless you're right it's best to just carry on enjoying the racing. Tomorrow should be good.
Post edited at 22:08
 ablackett 21 Jul 2016

I'm going for Froome, Porte, Quintana for the podium.

Quintana looks done in, but he had a good ride today, everyone else will fade tomorrow and Saturday and I reckon he will come through.
 tony 22 Jul 2016

So what's the etiquette when someone high in the GC but not top falls within the last 15 km of the finish? I know the peleton isn't supposed to attack the leader in such circumstances, but does the same apply to someone in the top 10?
In reply to tony:

Not sure. It was an interesting day full of incidents! Not going to give away spoilers............
 Chris the Tall 22 Jul 2016
In reply to tony:

Given the number of people crashing today it would have been pretty boring if they stopped racing each time.

The etiquette seems that you don't start an attack the leader, but if someone has already attacked or if the race is "on", then it's OK. So in the Giro, Nibbles attacked, Kruiswijk crashed on the descent, and that was considered fine. Staying upright in bad conditions or on tricky descents is part of the skillset you need to win.
 Yanis Nayu 22 Jul 2016

Exciting stage! Thunderstorms forecast for tomorrow, so anything could happen.
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Exciting stage! Thunderstorms forecast for tomorrow, so anything could happen.

Possibilities of more mayhem!
Lusk 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I was very very nearly on the edge of my seat today!!!
Of the three TdFs I've watched, this has been the dullest. Froome wins by going quick over one summit and fastest on two time trials. The route hasn't been particularly interesting from a settee viewpoint either.
 Chris the Tall 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Lusk:

Have we been watching the same race ? Froome has taken time uphill, downhill, on the flat and in time trials, but never very much. Moreover the battle behind him has been very volatile- look at the way Mollema dropped from 2nd to 10th today.

The Indurain years were dull, but unfortunately it's very hard to stop the strongest rider winning the race.
 balmybaldwin 23 Jul 2016
In reply to Lusk:

> I was very very nearly on the edge of my seat today!!!

> Of the three TdFs I've watched, this has been the dullest. Froome wins by going quick over one summit and fastest on two time trials. The route hasn't been particularly interesting from a settee viewpoint either.

I was on the edge of my seat watching that final descent! Brave stuff.

Froome has been unbeatable (so far) this year with his new mini attacks, and a team that strong. However I feel more that the other teams and riders just aren't there at the moment some of the tactics employed are not good perhaps they peaked their fitness too late and just need a few more days than they have

However to go down, and finish on his team mate's bike I think earns him some stripes it's not often we see the yellow jersey blooded and maintain their lead.

Not a classic tour so far, but I fear this is a bit more of a norm now and this is a side affect of clean(er?) racing - rivals don't have miraculous recovery rides after losing minutes the day before anymore
 elsewhere 23 Jul 2016
In reply to Lusk:
I've liked it, interesting change to see descents being key rather than mountain top finishes and the importance of tactics when it is windy.
The tdf organisers vary the balance in the route each year and I think sky have planned and responded to this year's route.

Froome has suprised his rivals in the attack on descent and he made sure he was in the right place when sagan attacked on a windy day.
Brilliant to see green and yellow working together with a domestique each whilst their rivals slept.

Froome has been far better than his rivals in seizing opportunities.

The tour is about tactics and froome's tactics have worked.

So the tradition is that on the final day, the yellow jersey isn't attacked. But what of positions two, three or four? Any one of those could rise or slip.
 abr1966 23 Jul 2016
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

Podium places still up for grabs....unlikely to change from today's finish though!

That downhill today was awesome....takes serious bottle to come down like that!!
 DaveHK 23 Jul 2016
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):
> (In reply to Christheclimber)
>
> So the tradition is that on the final day, the yellow jersey isn't attacked. But what of positions two, three or four? Any one of those could rise or slip.

Other than accidents there's very little chance of that. When was the last time a break stayed away on the last stage?
 balmybaldwin 23 Jul 2016

are there time bonuses at the intermediate sprints?
 Chris the Tall 24 Jul 2016

> are there time bonuses at the intermediate sprints?

No, just the finish, and I don't think any of the GC guys will be daft enough to get mixed up in the sprint. The fact that the GC battle is over is as much practicality as etiquette - it's a flat stage and too many teams are determined to have a sprint
In reply to abr1966:

> Podium places still up for grabs....unlikely to change from today's finish though!

> That downhill today was awesome....takes serious bottle to come down like that!!

Bardet was fantastic yesterday taking him to second place. Sky were very good again in looking after Froome.
> Bardet was fantastic yesterday taking him to second place. Sky were very good again in looking after Froome.

Oops, Bardet on Friday and Izagirre yesterday!!!
Post edited at 12:49
 abr1966 24 Jul 2016

I really hope Kittel doesn't win today!
 Yanis Nayu 24 Jul 2016

Well done Chris Froome!
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Yes very well done Chris Froome and the whole Sky team. Good sprint finish today.
 abr1966 24 Jul 2016

Very impressive Sky performance....Poels and G rode so strong everyday As did everyone of them, a real 'team' performance!
Pleased greipl got it and Kittel nowhere in the mix...coquard had bad luck with a mechanical. Sagan amazing ride again!!
 Yanis Nayu 24 Jul 2016
In reply to abr1966:

Did you see Sagan's back wheel kick out metres from the line.

Good speech by Froome.
 abr1966 24 Jul 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Did you see Sagan's back wheel kick out metres from the line.

> Good speech by Froome.

Yes! Wheel all over the place on the white paint! Froome humble and poignant.....I really don't get why some folk slate him...
 Richard Smith 24 Jul 2016

Chris Froome should be made not a Knight but a Lord, the BBC Sports Personality of the Year should give 'Dee Dee the Devil' a special award for supporting 'Le Tour'.

Well done Chris and the Sky Team.
 Chris the Tall 25 Jul 2016
In reply to Richard Smith:

> Chris Froome should be made not a Knight but a Lord,

Sir Phillip Green is a good example of why shouldn't bestow honours on the residents of Monaco

> the BBC Sports Personality of the Year should give 'Dee Dee the Devil' a special award for supporting 'Le Tour'.

Some would argue that he is to blame for all the muppets who go to the race, not to watch it, but to get on TV in their mankinis and morph suits (OK thats a bit harsh, and all he does is jump, not run along side !)

> Well done Chris and the Sky Team.

Can't argue with that - excellent team performance, but you still need to be a very strong rider to win and his attacks on stage 8 and 11 show that there is more to him than just a TT-er who can keep up with the climbers.

Quintana was a big disappointment and did not deserve his place on the podium. Can't argue with Yates getting a penalty for the hand sling, but if you going to be that strict then NQ should have been penalised for taking a tow up Ventoux.
 balmybaldwin 25 Jul 2016

> Some would argue that he is to blame for all the muppets who go to the race, not to watch it, but to get on TV in their mankinis and morph suits (OK thats a bit harsh, and all he does is jump, not run along side !)

I'm sure he used to... maybe he's seen the error of his ways.

James FR 25 Jul 2016

Quintana did quite well considering he was "suffering from allergies"
 Richard Smith 25 Jul 2016

I would agree with you about the muppets that run along side and I do not blame Chris for thumping one of them, might knock some sense in to him.

The problem with the 'muppets' are that they are mostly "Bloody Foreigners", but unlike the Brits these Foreigners have a lot of passion that they seem to have trouble controlling.

Before someone calls me racist, I work in executive aviation and have to deal with "Bloody Foreign Pilots" daily and consider them as good friends, some even refer to them selves as "Bloody Foreigners", in fact one of the aforementioned pilots lives in Nice, 50 yards from where the shooting happened and was at the airport with me the following morning watching the news, he called his wife to make sure she was fine which she was.

The other problem is all this 'Social Media', a tool for muppets all round the world. Now I'm an Old Fart and cynical at 52, watching people throwing themselves around doing selfies getting in the way of the riders and this last craze Pokémon make me laugh, "lets all be individual and do what everybody else is doing".

But hay, I still enjoy Le Tour, I love to watch out for Dee Dee, may the race go on for ever and congrats to all the riders that finished.
Removed User 25 Jul 2016

> shouldn't bestow honours on the residents of Monaco

Presumably Chris Froome lives there for ease-of-access to training areas rather than for tax breaks. Though doubtless after three TdF wins his tax bill is much higher than it used to be.

On a side note, does anyone know if ITV are running last night's Highlights programme again? It doesn't seem to be on their Hub thingy.
 Mike Highbury 26 Jul 2016

> A much better source, but I couldn't find a list of all the teams (I did look!) so we can't really use it for comparisons. Not much doubt who has been the dominant team in the race, and it does seem they have spent their money wisely, in getting strong riders to be domestiques.

I see he's had a stab at Tinkoff today. http://inrng.com/2016/07/the-finances-of-team-tinkoff/#more-29529.

Not the clearest, one's bound to say but I enjoyed the bit about Sagan, his brother and pals adding 50% to the wage bill. Fine value, PS is impossible not to like, if only Tinkoff sold something that I wanted to buy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...