UKC

Parking in the Lakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ScottTalbot 03 Jul 2016
I'm about to do my first multi day hike around the Ambleside area and was wondering what the best option is for leaving a car for a few days..?

I did try to do a search, as I'm sure this would've been covered before, but I don't have a lot of luck with the search feature for some reason (probably incompetence)!?!
 Ian Hinkins 03 Jul 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

At Waterhead where the A591 and A5095 join by the lake there is a free layby 200m up the A591 on the right. It fills up early though, your car will then be on the side of a main road rather than tucked away down a side street somewhere. Other option is on the Under Loughrigg road, but that would have your car well tucked away.
You could try a B&B and see if for a small fee they would allow you to park it with them.
I would happily do any of the above.
OP ScottTalbot 03 Jul 2016
In reply to Ian Hinkins:

My only concern with leaving it on a main road is that, if it's seen in the same place for a few days, it might be targeted, either by vandals or joy riders. Is this much of a problem in the Lake District?
 marsbar 03 Jul 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:
I'd be more concerned it might trigger a missing person search.

You could try this place http://englishlakes.co.uk/hotels/lake-district-hotels/windermere-hotels/low...
Post edited at 10:00
 John Kelly 03 Jul 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

You could park at NT great langdale campsite, fiver a night, reasonably secure, throw in shower and a toilet, ( not bank hols, sorry no room)
moffatross 03 Jul 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

My experience with the Lakes in summer -

- the roads are usually gridlocked (not much fun 'joy riding')
- most people are over 80 years old (they're bored with joy riding nowadays)
- most people of 'joy riding' age are busy taking money from the over 80's (no time for 'joy riding')
- and unless your car has written instructions on it that say something like 'key me for cash', you'll be out of luck
 Pedro50 03 Jul 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

You can pay a fiver to park at the Travellers Rest Grasmere, then spend the £5 credit in the bar on your return. Cost neutral.
In reply to moffatross:

I'm hoping the roads won't be too bad this month. I won't go near the lakes in the summer holidays though!
In reply to Pedro50:

> You can pay a fiver to park at the Travellers Rest Grasmere, then spend the £5 credit in the bar on your return. Cost neutral.

That's not a bad shout actually, although they might prefer me to take a shower before going in haha!
In reply to marsbar:

Not a bad idea, although I might try ringing mountain rescue once I know where I've parked, as this may affect my route choice.
 Baron Weasel 03 Jul 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

Under loughrigg road, head towards Coniston from Ambleside over humpback bridge, turn right immediately and there's a load of free parking after about half a mile. Other option is New Road parking in Kendal and then get a bus.
In reply to ScottTalbot:

There is still some free on street parking in Ambleside if you know where to go. I'm not going to say where but it's there if you look for it.
OP ScottTalbot 08 Jul 2016
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy:

> There is still some free on street parking in Ambleside if you know where to go. I'm not going to say where but it's there if you look for it.

You tease you... :-P
 ThunderCat 08 Jul 2016
In reply to Pedro50:

> You can pay a fiver to park at the Travellers Rest Grasmere, then spend the £5 credit in the bar on your return. Cost neutral.

Seems like a reasonable idea, that.
LakeDistrictMountaineer 08 Jul 2016
In reply to moffatross:

> My experience with the Lakes in summer -

> - the roads are usually gridlocked (not much fun 'joy riding')

> - most people are over 80 years old (they're bored with joy riding nowadays)

> - most people of 'joy riding' age are busy taking money from the over 80's (no time for 'joy riding')

> - and unless your car has written instructions on it that say something like 'key me for cash', you'll be out of luck

What an absolute load of b*llocks the above is!
In reply to ScottTalbot:
Haha I use the free street parking in Ambleside 5 days a week for work.

It's a well kept secret
Post edited at 12:06
moffatross 08 Jul 2016
In reply to LakeDistrictMountaineer:

> What an absolute load of b*llocks the above is!

Of course it's mostly a load of b*llocks, but I was giving a wry response to this question ...

>"(a car) might be targeted, either by vandals or joy riders. Is this much of a problem in the Lake District?"<

... to which I though the answer was NO.

I don't think it's unfair to say that the Lake District has a traffic problem in the summer months when it is very busy. Passing through say Keswick, Ambleside or Windermere on the way to anywhere else can be a total PITA. Popular hill paths can see lines hundreds long. Riding a bike can be unpleasant due to the frustrated driver factor and the weight of traffic. Of course, most people aren't over 80. I apologise for any exaggerations/generalisations. The pubs are great
In reply to moffatross:

> Of course it's mostly a load of b*llocks, but I was giving a wry response to this question ...

> >"(a car) might be targeted, either by vandals or joy riders. Is this much of a problem in the Lake District?"<

> ... to which I though the answer was NO.

> I don't think it's unfair to say that the Lake District has a traffic problem in the summer months when it is very busy. Passing through say Keswick, Ambleside or Windermere on the way to anywhere else can be a total PITA. Popular hill paths can see lines hundreds long. Riding a bike can be unpleasant due to the frustrated driver factor and the weight of traffic. Of course, most people aren't over 80. I apologise for any exaggerations/generalisations. The pubs are great

I took it as tongue in cheek.. It may have seemed like a stupid question, but there are places in Wales I'd be reluctant to leave a car for one night, let alone three or more, as I'd probably be returning to a burnt out shell! Maybe the Lakes have a better class of teenager, I don't know haha!

As for the summer traffic, I know what you mean.... I've only been to the lakes in the height of summer once, and it was the traffic that has stopped me going back, for the most part. I'm hoping that going before the school holidays will lessen the queues, but I'll have to wait and see about that.
In reply to ScottTalbot:

You are definitely going over the top with the traffic. Unless an event such a triathlon or the big swim are on or roadworks all of which can affect any national park then the traffic isn't bad at all.

But if it puts people off from coming then great.....it's quieter for the rest of us

> You are definitely going over the top with the traffic. Unless an event such a triathlon or the big swim are on or roadworks all of which can affect any national park then the traffic isn't bad at all.

> But if it puts people off from coming then great.....it's quieter for the rest of us

Fair enough. I can only speak from my own experience, but I'm happy to take your word for it..
 Marcus Tierney 09 Jul 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:
Consider joining a club with a hut. My membership costs only £22 a year (ABMSAC) and you have the perfect start and end accomadation and the parking you require.If you are BMC affiliated which you would probably be if you joined a club then there are plenty of very comfortable huts.
OP ScottTalbot 09 Jul 2016
In reply to Marcus Tierney:

> Consider joining a club with a hut. My membership costs only £22 a year (ABMSAC) and you have the perfect start and end accomadation and the parking you require.If you are BMC affiliated which you would probably be if you joined a club then there are plenty of very comfortable huts.

I have BMC membership, but have never really looked at the huts, as I prefer to sleep under canvas (or Silnilon nowadays). I wasn't even aware of the parking angle, so maybe some research is needed there! Thanks for the pointer
 plyometrics 09 Jul 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

> My only concern with leaving it on a main road is that, if it's seen in the same place for a few days, it might be targeted, either by vandals or joy riders. Is this much of a problem in the Lake District?

Joy riders? Ambleside? No. And the biggest vandals in our neck of the woods are sheep. Dump it in Ambleside under Loughrigg.

If you're not precious about Ambleside and your walk takes you near the Kentmere area then just park in Mill Yard in Staveley.
 josh12345 11 Jul 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

Thanks for asking this Scott, I was going to ask a similar question as I'm going to do an overnight around Langdale.
 JimmAwelon 12 Jul 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

If you are a National Trust member then their Stickle Ghyl car park at Great Langdale is free to park in for NT members. They like you to stick your membership card on the dashboard or you get a polite reminder notice. Not being a Local Authority they cannot ticket you of course. I'm not aware that they ban overnight parking. You may be able to speak to their carpark attendant volunteer about it. He was a nice chap last time i was there and it was revealed that I was still carrying an out of date membership card!

It's certainly as good a place as any to start/finish your walk and being in the centre of the valley may even be worth stashing some food or kit in teh car to gather halfway through your trip or if conditions change. Be warned that the Sticklebarn PH is now run by the NT; whilst they do a great line in stately homes and gardens and perhaps tea rooms and giftshops if that is your thing they do not do a good outdoorsy boozer. Use the Old Dungeon Ghyll or you will be disappointed for sure. Enjoy.
 Steve Clegg 12 Jul 2016
In reply to JimmAwelon:

> Be warned that the Sticklebarn PH is now run by the NT; Use the Old Dungeon Ghyll or you will be disappointed for sure.

What about the New DG? Used to be a good pint in there.
Steve

Neil Williams 13 Jul 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

Sensible, I think. It is there, but if it is posted on here, a Google for "free parking ambleside" will find it and so it'll never be possible to get in. (It's presently slightly easier to get in than the main paid car park).
 climbingpixie 13 Jul 2016

It's less the volume of traffic and more the general speed of it. It only takes one pensioner in a beige Honda Jazz to ruin it for everyone...
 Chris the Tall 13 Jul 2016
In reply to JimmAwelon:

> Be warned that the Sticklebarn PH is now run by the NT; whilst they do a great line in stately homes and gardens and perhaps tea rooms and giftshops if that is your thing they do not do a good outdoorsy boozer. Use the Old Dungeon Ghyll or you will be disappointed for sure. Enjoy.

Went to the Sticklebarn a couple of time last week and wasn't at all disappointed - good beer, nice food, dog friendly, human friendly. I guess one possible objection is that they sell tea and cake as well as the more traditional pub snacks - so it doubles up as a cafe. But is it really so wrong to give people a choice ? If I was on a bike ride or about to go climbing I'd be quite happy.

Also we ran up there from Elterwater and were gasping for a glass of water - always feel a bit cheeky asking at a pub, but they had glasses and water available on the bar, help yourself.

So it may not be as traditional as other pubs, but not in a bad way.

OP ScottTalbot 13 Jul 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Sounds good! And as I will have my dog, that's food to know, thanks.
 josh12345 14 Jul 2016
In reply to JimmAwelon:

Thanks Jim, I am a NT member and had wondered about using their car park.

Having stayed at the NT Langdale site numerous times, I'd always been to the Old Dungeon Ghyll pub but last year, for the first time, I ventured further down the road to the New Dungeon Ghyll and it didn't seem that bad; but if we all liked the same things life would be dull!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...