UKC

Recommend me a daytime driving route Chester to Oxford.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Just wondering what the M6 through Birmingham is like during the day. Is it worth paying to use the M6 Toll or using the A5/A38/A446 to get to the M42?
 Yanis Nayu 04 Jul 2016
In reply to Vanessa Simmons:

I would always use the M6 toll!
 Dauphin 04 Jul 2016

Depends. I avoid unless I'm going through before 6 or after 9, but it can be okay. I just rather spend the £5 or whatever it is on the toll for miles of almost empty road.

D
 Dave the Rave 04 Jul 2016

Hi
Chester to Tarvin.
A51 to j16 Stoke ( to avoid m56 and traffic from m6 j20). M6 south using toll, m40. 2hr 45 ish.

Thanks everyone. My daughter is driving and doesn't want to pay (she's a student) so I think she'll stick on the original M6.

In the day then M6, M5, M42, M40, A34 was the route I preferred when doing a similar run.

Worth paying for the toll road at rush hour though.

T.
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Interesting that you chose the M5 over the M6 to get past Birmingham, did it make a lot of difference? (Daughter will be travelling in middle of day so no rush-hour traffic expected).
 stubbed 05 Jul 2016

Just go on the M6, it will be fine middle of the day. You can decide about the toll when you get near to it.
Don't go on the M5, that's the long way round.
paulcarey 05 Jul 2016
In reply to stubbed:

Its not that much longer. May be 3 miles? if the traffic update are that Brum is a nightmare and she doesn't want to use the M6 toll then M5, M42, M40 is usually fine.
cap'nChino 05 Jul 2016

I do this route about 4-6 times a month.

If youre not in any real rush and want a more reliable route go for;
A41 - M54 - M6 (can actually take the M5 from the M6 also) - M40

I usually take M56 - M6. It is faster, but you do take a gamble with traffic jams.

The M6 toll might not spit you out on the right motorway take the M40. But during the day time the traffic isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...