UKC

NEWS: Third Ascent of Pilgrimage 8B+ for Mike Hart

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 05 Jul 2016
Mike Hart making the 3rd ascent of Pilgrimage 8B+, 4 kbWirral-based climber Mike Hart has made the third ascent of Malcolm Smith's Pilgrimage 8B+ at Parisella's Cave, North Wales. Ben Moon famously fell off the very end when it was a project and Malcolm eventually made the first ascent back in 2004. Alex Barrows made the first repeat in 2011.

Read more
Removed User 05 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Impressive, he floats through that like it's nothing.
In reply to UKC News:

Yeah, awesome effort! ...and extra credit for no knee pads
 JayK 05 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

That was utterly brilliant.
 CurlyStevo 05 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Very nicely climbed
 Lhod 05 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Great effort on the repeat.

I don't agree with his comment regarding the Barrows beta - "I guess you could say that I prefer to try and bring myself to the rock's level as opposed to lowering the rock to my level." Chipping would be bringing the rock down to his level; knee barring is just a different (and arguably, technically better) way of climbing the same piece of rock.

This comes across as pretty derogotary in my opinion.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 05 Jul 2016
In reply to Lhod:

> Great effort on the repeat.

> I don't agree with his comment regarding the Barrows beta - "I guess you could say that I prefer to try and bring myself to the rock's level as opposed to lowering the rock to my level." Chipping would be bringing the rock down to his level; knee barring is just a different (and arguably, technically better) way of climbing the same piece of rock.

> This comes across as pretty derogotary in my opinion.

Missing an important bit of context there:

"It's just a personal preference. I have nothing against people using them but for me I just prefer not to."
 Michael Gordon 05 Jul 2016
In reply to Lhod:

Agreed, it's got nothing to do with 'lowering the rock to his level'. If anything, not taking advantage of rests on a route/problem is not purer but contrived.
 Lhod 05 Jul 2016
In reply to remus:

> Missing an important bit of context there:

> "It's just a personal preference. I have nothing against people using them but for me I just prefer not to."

Yes, I read that part and agree - but his next comment is very different and claims this is "lowering the rock to (their) level". This reads very much like he does have something against it, and it doesn't fit with the other things he says
 Jon Ratcliffe 06 Jul 2016
In reply to Michael Gordon:
He did climbed it the way he wanted, for his own satisfaction, he got asked some questions and told us his honest opinion.
I simply read it that for him knee bars avoid the full physical challenge that the rock presents to him....and this is what he enjoys most...the important words being 'him' and 'he'.
Last time I checked we could all climb for our own reasons, and have our own individual querky ethics and that thats absolutely fine, and a massive part of what makes climbing brilliant.

Give the lad a break, he's just climbed f****in' Pilgrimage!

Absolutely awesome effort Mike, you must be well happy!
Post edited at 11:05
 ehole 06 Jul 2016
Well done Mike, what an awesome effort -and you made it look easy!

Good job,

Evan

aln 06 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Well done and that but am I the only one who finds watching videos of Parisella's cave really samey and boring?
 Shani 06 Jul 2016
In reply to aln:

> Well done and that but am I the only one who finds watching videos of Parisella's cave really samey and boring?

Yeah, and he's a bit slappy.* Although it's always good to see people pushing their limits, and on that front, well done to Mike.

*Joke.

aln 06 Jul 2016
In reply to Shani:

Well yeah it's great people pushing there limits and all that. Just boring to watch.
 Tyler 06 Jul 2016
In reply to aln:

> Well done and that but am I the only one who finds watching videos of Parisella's cave really samey and boring?

What were you expecting to see in a video of someone bouldering in Parisella's cave? Herds of wildebeests sweeping majestically across the plaine?
 aln 06 Jul 2016
In reply to Tyler:

No I didn't expect to see that.
 aln 06 Jul 2016
In reply to Tyler:

Are you agreeing that videos of people bouldering in Parisella's cave are samey and boring?
 Tyler 06 Jul 2016
In reply to aln:
No, I'm saying that they look like videos of people bouldering in Parisella's and if I had no interest in videos of people bouldering in Parisella's I wouldn't click on it as I would probably not enjoy it.
 Michael Hood 06 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News: That's quite long for a boulder problem.

Is somebody going to clean off all the tick marks

aln 06 Jul 2016
In reply to Tyler:

I didn't watch it. Though as it's a public forum where we're allowed to express our opinions I think I'm allowed to say I think Parisella's cave videos are kinda boring.
 StuLade 07 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Mike Psyche! Nice one la.
 stp 07 Jul 2016
In reply to aln:

I find watching people climb really interesting. Admittedly Parasella's isn't a remotely aesthetic place to climb but if you focus on the climber it's interesting because each person has their own unique style, their own way of moving over the rock.
 Charlie Noakes 07 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Am I the only one who finds aln's posts really samey and boring? I didn't read 'em mind.

aln 08 Jul 2016
In reply to Charlie Noakes:

I gave you a like.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...