UKC

Tory wannabes - first to go? Vote here

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fraser 05 Jul 2016
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36709218

Theresa May, Andrea Leadsom, Michael Gove, Stephen Crabb or Liam Fox.

Place your bets for the first to be asked to step on the trap-door. My hunch is it'll be Fox in the firing line, but for no particularly strong reason.

Profile snippets below are from the BBC's site, linked to from the one above.

May:
Where she stands on Brexit: Backed Remain campaign but says vote to come out must be respected. "Brexit means Brexit. The campaign was fought, the vote was held, turnout was high and the public gave their verdict. There must be no attempts to remain inside the EU, no attempts to rejoin it through the back door and no second referendum." Mrs May also said there should be no general election before 2020 and no "emergency" Brexit budget - and that she would abandon the target of eliminating Britain's Budget deficit by the end of the decade - a day before the chancellor himself abandoned it.

Leadsom:
Where she stands on Brexit: She campaigned to get Britain out of the EU and has described the referendum result as "a huge opportunity for our great country". She believes in scrapping free movement and wants free trade negotiations with the rest of the world. She told Sky News: "My personal view, very genuinely, is the next leader is someone who has to deliver on the promise of the referendum because they can see the huge advantages and they believe in them. I think it's very difficult for somebody who campaigned to stay in, who thinks that there will be disaster if we leave, to suddenly turn it around and start believing we can make a go of it."

Gove:
Where he stands on Brexit: "The British people voted for change last Thursday. They sent us a clear instruction that they want Britain to leave the European Union and end the supremacy of EU law. They told us to restore democratic control of immigration policy and to spend their money on national priorities such as health, education and science instead of giving it to Brussels. They rejected politics as usual and government as usual. They want and need a new approach to running this country.
He ruled out a snap general election if he becomes PM - and he said he would abandon Chancellor George Osborne's target of eliminating Britain's budget deficit by 2020. Mr Osborne himself has since abandoned the target.

Crabb:
Where he stands on Brexit: He campaigned to remain in the EU but now says: "We had a clear result from the referendum. And the result was for the UK to leave the European Union. There can be no stepping back from that." Has ruled out a second referendum.
Mr Crabb has set out three aims for the EU negotiations: Controlling immigration, "as close an economic relation with the EU as we have now" and "end of the supremacy of EU law".

Fox:
Where he stands on Brexit: "I do not believe there is room for membership of the single market if it entails free movement of people. Those who voted to leave the EU would regard it as a betrayal and frankly they would be right. We do not need to be part of the single market to sell into it. Countries like the United States manage to do that very well. It is in our mutual interests to have a free and open trade relationship with our European partners but we cannot accept the concept of free movement of people as its cost."
 Indy 05 Jul 2016
In reply to Fraser:

Fox
 The New NickB 05 Jul 2016
In reply to Fraser:

Crabb or Fox, probably Fox.
OP Fraser 05 Jul 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

4 dislikes?! Seriously? I've not said one is any better or worse than the next, but I'm clearly missing something and yet have no clue as to what that might be.
 tony 05 Jul 2016
In reply to Fraser:

Fox will be first to go, followed by Crabb. Fox will go because he's a git and even Tory MPs can see he's a git. Crabb will go because no-one had heard of him until IDS threw his toys out the pram. I'm surprised he put himself forward so early in his parliamentary career - he might be more of a contender next time round, but then again, next time round probably won't be until 2025 or so, so maybe he just fancied a shot before he lost interest.
Removed User 05 Jul 2016
In reply to Fraser:

Fox; out of touch with his own party and their supporters.
 Ramblin dave 05 Jul 2016
In reply to Fraser:

Now five dislikers. And five candidates. Coincidence?
OP Fraser 05 Jul 2016
In reply to Ramblin dave:

I hate those closet UKC lurkers! Who'd have thunk it?

In reply to tony:

I think that closely corresponds to what I was thinking. When I first saw Crabb on tv, he came over as being a bit of a wide boy.
 Dave Garnett 05 Jul 2016
In reply to Fraser:

As ever, Ken Clarke can be relied on to give a candid opinion!:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36717447
OP Fraser 05 Jul 2016
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Just watched that this second! Was it a set-up do you think or a genuine "accidental" recording?
 Andy Say 05 Jul 2016
In reply to Fraser:

> 4 dislikes?! Seriously? I've not said one is any better or worse than the next, but I'm clearly missing something and yet have no clue as to what that might be.

You are bringing up the possibility that no-one has any idea what to do. And so you must be shot.
 Trevers 05 Jul 2016
In reply to Fraser:

I wish it was decided by last man (or woman) standing in a death match.
 deepsoup 05 Jul 2016
In reply to Indy:
> Fox

Or, to give him his full title, Disgraced Former Secretary for Defence Dr Liam Fox.
Should have followed in john Profumo's footsteps 5 years ago, out of parliament altogether and into a new career as a toilet cleaner.
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/02/less-shameless-world-liam-f...
Post edited at 18:21
 balmybaldwin 05 Jul 2016
In reply to Fraser:
And Liam fox it is with 16 votes

Next was crab 36
Gove 42
Leadsom 67
May 145

(If I heard correctly)
Post edited at 18:41
Donald82 05 Jul 2016
In reply to Fraser:

all c*nts
 Philip 05 Jul 2016
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> And Liam fox it is with 16 votes

> Next was crab 36

> Gove 42

> Leadsom 67

> May 145

May 165 - 1 more than the sum of the others I think.
> (If I heard correctly)

Philip 05 Jul 2016
In reply to Fraser:

What they say now is largely irrelevant. May is the favourite, all she needs to do is not stand out on any policy until the final vote, then stand on a "knows what she's doing" platform. Then after that choose direction.

She's my favourite, as a small L liberal, because she can at least compromise on Brexit without losing face. Not that we have much chance of her doing that.
OP Fraser 05 Jul 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

> You are bringing up the possibility that no-one has any idea what to do. And so you must be shot.

Mea culpable.

In reply to Philip:

I suspect you're probably correct.
 Chris the Tall 05 Jul 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

> Or, to give him his full title, Disgraced Former Secretary for Defence Dr Liam Fox.

> Should have followed in john Profumo's footsteps 5 years ago, out of parliament altogether and into a new career as a toilet cleaner.

DFSD Fox came last, but for all its ranting I don't think that article really gets to the heart of his misdemeanours. My recollection was there was far more to it than a question of accreditation for his friend, which makes it sound like a omission in the paperwork. I think there was a question of whether his friend was offering dubious arms dealers a back channel to the defence sec. I do agree with the author that he shouldn't have remained an MP.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...