UKC

Ken Wilson

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 06 Jul 2016
Has anyone noticed his death, where are the tributes etc, an important man in the development of British climbing!
 jon 06 Jul 2016
In reply to Removed User:

Look a bit closer.
 bpmclimb 06 Jul 2016

Latest BMC mag
 Tony the Blade 06 Jul 2016

There were a couple of threads posted,

Also Summit magazine ran an article in their latest edition: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/ken-wilson-climber-passes-away
 tony 06 Jul 2016
In reply to Tony the Blade:

And there's been an obituary in the Guardian:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/28/ken-wilson-obituary
Removed User 06 Jul 2016

FWIW the search button is a magnifying glass to the left of 'User' in the menu bar at the top of the message board.
Removed User 06 Jul 2016
Try the search button, Ken Wilson doesn't appear I picked it up from the Guardian obit

jon 06 Jul 2016

> Try the search button, Ken Wilson doesn't appear

Well he always was shy and retiring. Nevertheless, the threads are there. Maybe it's because the original thread got merged into a UKC News one...?
 FactorXXX 06 Jul 2016

Try the search button, Ken Wilson doesn't appear I picked it up from the Guardian obit

The UKC Obituary article is top of the list when I just tried it.

Removed User 06 Jul 2016
Terribly sorry I didn't use advanced search!

> Terribly sorry I didn't use advanced search!

It works perfectly with the standard search.

We have no problem people questioning our content, but it is better if you do it directly to us using one of the Contact links at the base of every page.

Thanks

Alan
 jon 06 Jul 2016
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

There is something strange though, Alan. I posted on that Ken thread on the 13 June but it doesn't show on my 'recent posts'.
Removed User 06 Jul 2016
Well it still doesn't work on mine!
Post edited at 14:02
 Dave Todd 06 Jul 2016

> Well it still doesn't work on mine!

You could Google 'ukclimbing wilson', you should find all the links (I just tried it, worked fine).
 SenzuBean 06 Jul 2016
In reply to Dave Todd:

> You could Google 'ukclimbing wilson', you should find all the links (I just tried it, worked fine).

If you make it:

site:ukclimbing.com/forums wilson

It will be even more specific (the site specifier restricts it to only links from the specified website, whereas your original query would include results on for example, ukbouldering that mentioned ukclimbing and wilson.)
 Mick Ward 06 Jul 2016
In reply to tony:

> And there's been an obituary in the Guardian...

Thank you for that; I'd not seen it.

'...campaigning for women to join the Climbers’ Club...'

He once told me that helping to get women accepted by the CC was what he was most proud of.

Far beneath the verbal pyrotechnics, there was an underlying humility to Ken.

Mick

rgold 06 Jul 2016

Oh his death has been noticed all right. Type "ken wilson british climber" into a google search box and you'll get at least two pages of links. Note that there has been a significant response across the pond, for example http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/2827890/Ken-Wilson-RIP .
 Offwidth 06 Jul 2016
In reply to rgold:

Cheers, a great thread.
 jon 06 Jul 2016
In reply to rgold:

I haven't been able to get on supertopo for about a week now. Any ideas why that should be?
 rgold 06 Jul 2016
In reply to jon:

I'm guessing it's on your end, jon. There doesn't seem to be any problem over here...
 Mick Ward 06 Jul 2016
In reply to jon:

From one post on the (superb) Supertopo thread:

'As with the death of many other climbing friends, I find myself sad for not having kept in better contact with Ken as the years rolled on. It feels absurd to speak words to him now after he is gone, but here they are: Good knowing you. I treasure all our blustering and banter and cheer. And I wish against all we know that somehow, somewhere you climb on.'

Tom Higgins
LongAgo
 jon 06 Jul 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:

My favourite American writer. Thanks, Mick.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...