UKC

Tent choice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
dansullivan96 08 Jul 2016
Planning on buying a 4 season 2 man tent in the near future. My options at the moment are between the MSR Fury or Dragontail and the Hilleberg Jannu. I have had a basic Vango tent for the last few years but this is only a 2 season tent. I plan on doing some winter hikes in the Scottish highlands this year and potentially alpine work next year in France. I plan on staying on snow and in winter conditions in the future.

Any suggestions/recommendations on what to pick would be great I wouldnt say I have a budget but I dont know if the Hilleberg is worth double the MSR price considering the accessories on top I'd have to by (Footprint 85 pounds?!?!).

Any help/tips would be great thanks.
 L.A. 08 Jul 2016
In reply to dansullivan96:
The Fury has the worst door/vestibule set up of any tent Ive ever used. Impossible to get in or out of easily and apparently Im not alone in that thought.
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/4-Season-Tent-Reviews/MSR-Fury
Dragontail is single skin not ideal for Scottish winter
Personally Id go
http://www.needlesports.com/690/products/macpac-minaret-juniper.aspx
or
http://www.needlesports.com/1438/products/macpac-olympus-saffron.aspx
Both are better than the Fury,Much cheaper than a Hilleberg but very very strong with the best groundsheet going so no footprint reqd.
Retailers usually offer a free footprint with Hillebergs as theyre already so expensive
Post edited at 10:10
cb294 08 Jul 2016
Go for the Hilleberg if your budget allows. It will be better to use, and not so much more expensive in the long run as it will probably last much longer (just retired our Hilleberg Keron 3 three man tent after 16 years of use, and simply bought another one).

I also have a two man Hilleberg tent, the completely bomb proof Tarra dome/tunnel hybrid, which my family preferred over the Jannu because of its two apsides **. The Jannu also supposedly has a problem when used in the rain, as water can drip on the inner tent when the zip of the outer is fully opened, but is of course much lighter.

CB

edit: ** and of course, because they would not have to carry it.....
Post edited at 10:18
LakeDistrictMountaineer 08 Jul 2016

Hilleberg are absolutely fab but if you can't stretch to that budget than take a look at the Terra Nova Quasar range.

I've wild camped in Scotland in them and theyou are great.

A bit heavier and more of an expedition tent but ultra hard-core are the Mountain Hardwear Trango range.

Hope that helps.

LM
dansullivan96 08 Jul 2016
In reply to LakeDistrictMountaineer:

Massive thanks everyone for your replies, I think I might go with the Hilleberg and save up for a bit. Sounds like thats the best bet in the long term too with their reputation.
Going to have a think and consider between the HBerg and Macpac Olympus Saffron.
Thanks again for all you help!
 StuDoig 08 Jul 2016

I've the Macpac Olympus and it's been a cracking tent. Really easy /quick to put up, loads of space and a reasonable weight for 2 man. you need to seal the seams of the outer yourself, but this is easily done with the sealant kit they provide.

I've friends with the Hilleberg too and looks excellent - you'll not be disappointed by either!

Cheers,

Stu
 olddirtydoggy 08 Jul 2016

I have a TN Quasar and it got destroyed on the first outing 2 years back. The Jannu has excellent feedback. They can be much cheaper in the US if you know somebody there. Hileberg threaten retailers with supply stoppage if they are caught selling to Europe. I hate that about them.
LakeDistrictMountaineer 08 Jul 2016
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

> I have a TN Quasar and it got destroyed on the first outing 2 years back. The Jannu has excellent feedback. They can be much cheaper in the US if you know somebody there. Hileberg threaten retailers with supply stoppage if they are caught selling to Europe. I hate that about them.

Did you pitch the Quasar poorly?

Mine has survived Scottish winter battering.
 leon 1 08 Jul 2016
One thing to take into consideration might be the companies aftercare/warranty policy just in case anything goes wrong.
MSRs is very good, Macpac in the UK is handled by Scottish Mountain Gear who are excellent, Hilleberg I have no experience of but Im sure people on here will be able to tell you. Terra Nova /Wild Country ? Quite a few people on this forum seem to have had poor experiences with the warranty/customer support and poles snapping.
Post edited at 16:04
 olddirtydoggy 08 Jul 2016
In reply to LakeDistrictMountaineer:

No, theres no shortage of Quasars getting trashed in bad conditions.
In reply to L.A.:

I've borrowed my brothers MacPac Minaret for a summer holiday in the Alps, and I can't vouch for its longevity.
Inner tent floor: tape sealing is falling apart, there is a hole at one of the poles (which I spinnaker taped).
Inner tent zipper malfunctioned the other day, ok now though.
Had to siliconise fly before using as he had neglected this the last couple of decades.
And it's only 30 year !!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...