UKC

WATCH LIVE: British Bouldering Championships 2016

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 08 Jul 2016
British Bouldering Championships 2016, 6 kbThis weekend the 2016 British Bouldering Championships will be held at Devonshire Green, Sheffield. For those of you who can't make it along, this year's event will be live-streamed online.

Read more
In reply to UKC News:

Great to be able to watch it live. Well done to all who took part.
 stp 10 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Wow! I thought that was a really great event and considerably surpassed my expectations. So much energy is poured into these events just to make them happen. You've only got to glance at the tons of scaffolding, mats and building the wall and enclosure before it even starts.

The women's first place is boringly predictable but I suppose that's the cost of having a true world champ. But the rest of it was far more mixed and exciting than I would have expected and the men's final problem provided a superb finale.

I'm somewhat surprised that some climbers at this level still don't know how to hand jam though. That's gotta be a big disadvantage and something that could be learned in a few hours or so, considerably upping one's chances.

Top marks to the BMC for organising such a good event, providing a decent live stream with good commentary, great routesetting, and everyone else involved.
 Andy Farnell 10 Jul 2016
In reply to stp: You can't blame Shauna for being world class. The setters split the rest of the field well. The men's final was excellent.

Andy F

stp 10 Jul 2016
In reply to andy farnell:

I'm certainly not blaming Shauna or anyone else for that matter. It's great that she won the World Cup and I really hope she wins Paris as well. It's fantastic that we have a World Champion, at long last.

Just saying that the way things are the women's bouldering comps are not as exciting when one person is so obviously in a different league to everyone else. But the battle for second/third seems to be closer now. It was cool to see Tara Hayes take second today.

The upside of course is that we have someone who can compete and win at the highest, world level which is great.
 ghalat 10 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Great comp. Live stream very reliable. Good camera work. Good commentary. This is definitely how it should be done.
 Michael Hood 11 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News: Much to my surprise (I do very little bouldering, can't get as motivated for it), I found it very entertaining. Although Shauna's win was a bit predictable, her climbing of the various problems was very impressive and really showed how far ahead of the rest of our girls/women she is. The men's was exciting being decided at the last possible moment.

One of the interesting things was seeing problems done in different ways.

Andrew Kin 11 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

We were there 7am start and 10pm before we got home. Few hours climbing at The Works then over to the finals to sit back and enjoy. Shame the weather couldnt make its mind up. I got soaked, cold, and sunburnt in the same day. Sometimes it changed every 10mins. Wierd.

Anyhow, the climbing was ace. The setting was perfect (Natural bowl so even kids could watch from a distance without having to be pushing to the front). The organisors and judges did a fantastic job.

One negative, and i say this at every climbing event is the music. I like music, i found Liam Lonsdale doing a sterling effort keeping everyone buzzing thoughout the event. BUT the speakers were pointing at the public literally 10yds away from kids and adults. I had a splitting headache and found it painfull to be even be near the front of the audience and after about 5mins refused to risk my daughters hearing. The constant beat is still imbedded in my skull today and i was on the edge of the grass banking. Its a shame because the guy doing the music was battling away in his redbull motor keeping things going in horrid conditions.
Removed User 11 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

I just want to know the 1st 2nd and 3rd in each category but can't find it anywhere, can somebody either tell me or post a link to it please?
 Scott K 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Removed Usergilesf:
https://www.thebmc.co.uk/media/files/Comps/bbc16.pdf
You should get the results there but if not go to the BMC and follow the links.
Alex Messenger, BMC 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Removed Usergilesf:

The results are here:

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/BMC-british-bouldering-championships-2016

Report to follow, meanwhile check out #BBCs2016 on Twitter for all the action.
Removed User 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Scott K:

Cheers.
In reply to UKC News:

Excellent day out, I'll definitely be back to watch it next year.
 Michael Hood 11 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News: It would have been really great to have seen Shauna on the men's problems - where would she have come?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...