UKC

What does % success mean in UKC graphs?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Just browsing my graphs and I noted that for my attempts on grade 5.7 routes in the USA (only 3 and as far as I know I have always managed to onsight this grade) I am given a 2.6 percent success. Given there are are only 3 routes the only possibilities would seem to be 0%, 33%, 66% and 100% so where does the 2.6% come from?
Post edited at 20:08
 JHiley 10 Jul 2016
In reply to harold walmsley:
It looks like its being calculated as ((number of successes at one particular grade)/ (maximum number of successes at any one grade))*100.

I doubt this is deliberate since it doesn't seem very useful.
Post edited at 20:47
 GarethSL 10 Jul 2016

I was wondering what on earth you were on about and it's just occurred to me what all the green/red bars actually mean... Or dont mean even.

I can't figure it out either. I wonder if it's a remnant of the figures used to calculate average grade??

But not adding up to 100% just doesn't make sense. Unless it's also accounting for total number of climbs by type and a percentage at each individual grade. But that can't work as I have 100% for some grades and much lower for others...

How bizarre... Perhaps The mods can enlighten us?
 JHiley 11 Jul 2016
In reply to GarethSL:

The way they are calculating it is to use the number of climbs at your most climbed grade as the total.
The number of climbs at each other grade is expressed as a percentage of this total*.

*Not the actual total.

I doubt it's something we're supposed to see.
 Fraser 11 Jul 2016
In reply to JHiley:

> I doubt it's something we're supposed to see.

I can't see anything like this on mine, so I think you're right!

JHiley 11 Jul 2016
In reply to GarethSL:

It also looks like they add up successes and failures for the most climbed grade when finding their *total*.

Also each genre of climbing (trad, sport, bouldering, winter) is treated separately.

The red bars for failures was added about a month ago. I should've refactored the way the percentages were shown as I agree, it looks confusing when it says 1.1% success on your 5.7 routes when you've on-sighted them all.

The 1.1% is the percentage of 5.7 routes you've done compared to all the routes you've done. It should say something like 100% success, 1.1% of total routes

I'll fix it next month as I'm a bit swamped at the mo.

Cheers, Paul.
 Simon Caldwell 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

> I'll fix it next month as I'm a bit swamped at the mo.

Busy fixing the UKH maps I assume
 Graeme Hammond 13 Jul 2016
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> Busy fixing the UKH maps I assume

The UKC map used to be better too, when you did a crag search within a specific distance of a postcode you used to get a red circle highlighting the area your search covered which was really useful it would be nice to see this feature back.
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Cheers, thanks for the explanation. No rush, I was just curious.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...