UKC

Grateful!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark Bannan 11 Jul 2016
On June 19th, I had my first serious rock climbing fall. I spent 5 days in hospital and I am on crutches now, recovering from 2 pelvic fractures and a fractured vertebra. I ought to make a full recovery, at least reasonably soon.

First and foremost, must thank my wife Moira for visiting me every day (out of 5) in hospital and looking after me since.

I must thank my mate and climbing partner Scott for keeping such a cool head, reassuring me and doing a great job in getting the rescue services in. It must have been difficult, as I blacked out for a couple of minutes with my eyes open. I was superbly impressed and humbled by how good the Inverness Search and Rescue Helicopter crew were - the pain of the fall (just before I blacked out) was undoubtedly the worst I have experienced in my life, but their reassurance, much needed entonox, a couple of morphine shots and great care in moving me onto a stretcher and the heli were much appreciated.

I am not going to mention any other names in case I forget someone, but all my family, climbing and non-climbing friends have been great and my workmates have been very kind too.

I have been very much reaffirmed by the good side of human nature and although I would always contend that a bit of healthy cynicism is a valuable asset in the modern world, I am hoping to remember all this kindness in future and hope that I can have a more positive outlook on life from now on.

I very much want to continue climbing when I get strong enough, but I will try to avoid the most serious and poorly protected routes from now on.

Mark.

elliott92 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Mark Bannan:

Wish you a speedy recovery mate
 StuDoig 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Mark Bannan:

Ouch! Sorry to hear about that Mark, sounds nasty. Best wishes for the recovery and hope it goes well chief! Hope that your back on your feet and that bump into you at the wall again before too long!

Cheers,

Stu
OP Mark Bannan 11 Jul 2016
In reply to elliott92:

Cheers!
M
OP Mark Bannan 11 Jul 2016
In reply to StuDoig:

Hi Stuart!

Good to hear from you!

Hopefully see you in the wall sooner rather than later,

cheers!

M
 doz 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Mark Bannan:

Bloody hell Mark!
speedy recovery .....
 alasdair19 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Mark Bannan:

I've having a bad run your the second friend to deck put badly this month. glad that a full recovery is on the cards

all the best
Alasdair
 alan moore 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Mark Bannan:

Ouch! Good luck with your recovery. Hopefully, you'll be back on the horse soon...
Alan
OP Mark Bannan 12 Jul 2016
In reply to doz:

Cheers, Patrick!

I will be in touch,

M
In reply to alasdair19:

Cheers Alasdair. Hope your other mate recovers fully too,

c u sometime,

M
In reply to alan moore:

> Hopefully, you'll be back on the horse soon...

Well - maybe the rock and ice! At least cliffs don't try to throw you off!

Cheers!

M

john arran 12 Jul 2016
In reply to Mark Bannan:

Obviously glad you're ok but what concerns me is that you describe it as your "first serious rock climbing fall"; are you planning on having more?
In reply to john arran:
> Obviously glad you're ok but what concerns me is that you describe it as your "first serious rock climbing fall"; are you planning on having more?

Good point..........Definitely not - although short-lived, it was the worst pain I have ever had in my life (worse than a burst appendix in my teens). Sorry I should have re-phrased my post for clarity - I meant "first (and hopefully only) serious climbing fall". I guess I was thinking that I have had some leader falls in the past (my ratio of leader falls to clean leads has been about 1:40) but none serious before now.

hope this clears up any confusion!

cheers for the sentiments!

M
Post edited at 12:06
claremac 16 Jul 2016
In reply to Mark Bannan:

Hi Mark.
I only just heard of your accident the other day when I saw Heather and Alan.
Very relieved to hear that you're ok!
Hope you make a full and sound recovery.
Would be great to catch up sometime.
Anyway take care of yourself and give my best wishes to Moira!
Clare

Ps just watching old bond film with climbing footage! The bad guys are pulling out Bond's pitons!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...