UKC

Leadsom to quit ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris the Tall 11 Jul 2016
Looks like we may have a new PM rather sooner than expected - reports that Leadsom is going to throw in the towel at 12:15
Removed User 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

and Angela Eagle now making her bid for LL at 12.00
paulcarey 11 Jul 2016
In reply to andyjohnson0:

On the Beeb's website so must be true..
In reply to Removed User:

Apparently it means that Gove may be back in the race !
paulcarey 11 Jul 2016

She's gone...
 Tyler 11 Jul 2016

So that takes two months out of the delays for invoking article 50 and we now have a Tory party uniting around a credible leader while Labour is in disarray.
 Rampikino 11 Jul 2016

Snap election anyone?
 Greasy Prusiks 11 Jul 2016

Lock up your dalmatians Teresa is on her way...

> Apparently it means that Gove may be back in the race !

Goodness, he's like a lingering eggy one which keeps coming back every time you shuffle in your chair. Eventually, hopefully, he will dissipate never to be seen (or smelled) ever again.
 Bob Hughes 11 Jul 2016
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:
he's issued a statement in support of May and confirmed he won't re-open the race.
Post edited at 13:02
 Bob Hughes 11 Jul 2016

well i thought the whole Motherhood-gate thing was a bit of a storm in a tea cup but I've just listened to the audio released by the Times and she managed to come across as naive, devious, stupid and clueless.
 krikoman 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

> Snap election anyone?

Only if Corbyn's still Labour leader, we can kill two birds with one stone then and have a proper Labour government.
 krikoman 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Bob Hughes:

> he's issued a statement in support of May and confirmed he won't re-open the race.

Oh that's OK then as he never changes his mind on anything
 digby 11 Jul 2016
In reply to krikoman:

> Only if Corbyn's still Labour leader, we can kill two birds with one stone then and have a proper Labour government.

Can't tell if this is irony, sarcasm, or a futile dream.
In reply to digby:

Corbyn is the last Brixiteer standing...hats off to the man, he has staying power
 Mike Stretford 11 Jul 2016
In reply to digby:

> Can't tell if this is irony, sarcasm, or a futile dream.

I too would like to know if he was being serious.

C'mon Krikoman, do you really think Corbyn could win an election now?
 krikoman 11 Jul 2016
In reply to digby:

> Can't tell if this is irony, sarcasm, or a futile dream.

Go on then, none of the above, a desire to see what the electorate will do.

After all let's see what we've been told in the last few months:,

The Conservative would lose the last election.
JC wouldn't win the contest to become the Labour leader.
Cameron would win the EU referendum.
The UK wouldn't vote OUT.
Cameron would stay on what ever the result.
Gove wouldn't stand for PM.
Boris would be the next Conservative PM.

Given that all the above could be so wrong I'm prepared to give the electorate a chance to elect someone they want to be their PM, rather than rumour and bullshit choose for them.
 Toby_W 11 Jul 2016
In reply to krikoman:
And over the longer term, WMD and Cook and Kennedy were war wobblers etc etc.

He won't win though as the papers have said he won't (which could be true because they've said it and based on the brexit vote steered by the same media)

Cheers

Toby
Post edited at 13:54
 Ramblin dave 11 Jul 2016

There's a certain irony to the fact that after months of people saying we should leave the EU because it's all run by unelected bureaucrats, we're now going to be taken out of it by a PM who not even her own party had the chance to choose democratically.
 James B 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> Corbyn is the last Brixiteer standing...hats off to the man, he has staying power

Very good
 Mike Stretford 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Toby_W:
> He won't win though as the papers have said he won't (which could be true because they've said it and based on the brexit vote steered by the same media)

As Krikoman said a lot of unexpected things have happened so I wouldn't rule him out on the basis that he's left wing, has an allotment ect.

I'd say he's no chance of winning an election because he's just lost of vote of no confidence among his own MPs 172-40, and has no chance of winning Scottish seats from the SNP. That doesn't bode well for forming a stable government and swing voters tend to want stability.

An election now doesn't give Momentum much time to deselect all those non-Corbyn MPs and get their own people in either.
Post edited at 14:05
In reply to Ramblin dave:

> There's a certain irony to the fact that after months of people saying we should leave the EU because it's all run by unelected bureaucrats, we're now going to be taken out of it by a PM who not even her own party had the chance to choose democratically.

To be fair, she won the backing of 199 MPs (out of 329), which is a substantial majority (and a lot better than 40 out of 212). And those MPs were all elected - unlike the 0.1% of the population that makes up the Tory party electorate. So which is more democractic ?

And as I've been saying ever since Brown became PM, we don't vote for PMs or Presidents, we vote for an MP. Our constitution has it' pros and cons, and maybe we should have a complete rethink. But as it stands all that matters is that May is able to form a government which will command the support of a majority of MPs.

Bob Hughes 11 Jul 2016
In reply to krikoman:

> Oh that's OK then as he never changes his mind on anything

have a like
 digby 11 Jul 2016
In reply to krikoman:

However it's quite easy to spot unelectable labour leaders. There's been a lot of them.
 NathanP 11 Jul 2016
In reply to krikoman:

> Only if Corbyn's still Labour leader, we can kill two birds with one stone then and have a proper Labour government.

Thanks for that. Funniest thing I've read in ages. )
 krikoman 12 Jul 2016
In reply to digby:

> However it's quite easy to spot unelectable labour leaders. There's been a lot of them.

Then how do you account for him being elected leader in the first place?

We were all told he'd never make it, yet here we are still being told he's unelectable.
KevinD 12 Jul 2016
In reply to krikoman:

> We were all told he'd never make it, yet here we are still being told he's unelectable.

Because it is being used as shorthand for "labour government win at the general election" as opposed to win as MP or inside Labour.
 digby 12 Jul 2016
In reply to KevinD:

Exactly. And there's a world of difference between his grassroots membership support - small in number but tenacious - and the likely support in the country - large and uncommitted.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...