UKC

alpine destination

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wiles 11 Jul 2016

Hi any help would be a greatly appreciated
I am heading off to the alps in august and would like to climb some easy ridges and rock routes ( uk severe hard severe ) and climb some easy peaks with snow on them in a new area ( to me anyway ) Any good destination? I have been to chamonix and the ecrins
Cheers petre
Post edited at 17:03
 osheye 12 Jul 2016
In reply to Wiles:

hi,also looking for same , not sure on date , intend to start in saas grund , owen
 Simon4 12 Jul 2016
In reply to Wiles:

Well seeing as you are not getting much response, I'll try to start the ball rolling.

I've not done a huge amount of Alpine rock, so others will need to give you more of a feel for say the Dolomites. Certainly that will have lots of rock routes in significant, but not huge, mountain situations, is however well known for afternoon thunderstorms in August.

A charming and not over-busy area, that tends (no guarantees given, any mountain area can fail to deliver on this, no refunds available), to have better weather, while still seeming like proper Alps is the Engandine region. Plenty of snowy peaks of not great difficulty to climb, including the classic Biancongrat on the Piz Bernina, the most easterly 4000m peak, which is a grand outing (several days involved). Usual caveats about Swiss prices apply. Not very sure about rock routes and ridges there, you would almost certainly need to look at guidebooks in German to find out.

An area of big mountains and huge uplift, many of them quite technically straightforward but well known for iffy weather (almost as bad as Chamonix!), is the Bernese Oberland. Not very sure about rock routes there, generally would not expect the rock to be very good, rather frost shattered. This is not true of the Gross Grunhorn, which has pretty sound (but razor sharp), rock on its main ridge.

So I hope that gives you something to think about and starts other people contributing.
 alasdair19 12 Jul 2016
In reply to Simon4:

the bergalia / bernina would work well and with a bit of cunning you can avoid buying to much stuff in Swiss franks.

you could also have fun in central Switzerland climbing out if the suisse plasir guidebook.

you should aim to climb via veterano a fun 40 pitch slab route on a mostly forested hill side
 Red Rover 12 Jul 2016
In reply to alasdair19:

40 pitches? Must be a huge route, or short pitched! What grade is it?
 gbloomer 13 Jul 2016
In reply to Wiles:
A trip up to the Almageller hut and do the Dri Hornli ridge if you are in Saas Grund area.

Dri Horlini
Post edited at 10:24

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...