UKC

Pannier racks and bags??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lynsety 13 Jul 2016
Hi,

Needing to get a pannier rack and bags. The bike is a norco A2 cyclo cross and has the bolt across the top where they connect (not sure what that bit is called) it also has disc brakes. Really don't want to spend too much money, can anybody recommended some racks and bags.

They don't have to be brilliant as probably only get used for a few trips.

Thanks in advance.

Lynsey.
cb294 13 Jul 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

Probably not what you are after, but I can only recommend Ortlieb bags. Mine are still in almost daily use after 29 years, and they are the only bags that are really completely waterproof. I even used mine on my motorbike, and my stuff was dry after a day of riding in the rain.

CB
 James FR 13 Jul 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

I'm also an Ortlieb user, although more for cycle touring trips from a week to a couple of months, so I like to be sure everything's going to stay dry.

For a cheaper option you could try Decathlon, they do sell own-brand panniers (B-Twin) but I have no idea how good they are. Or try buying secondhand?
In reply to Lynsety:
I can recommend the Crosso brand of pannier bags see below

http://www.cyclesense.co.uk/m60b355s74p13926/CROSSO-Dry-60L-(Pair)-Rear/RS_...

These are a steal at 52 quid a pair and at 60 litres (30 litres each ) they are simply massive .
Oh and I've never had any issue with water.

TS
Post edited at 10:21
cb294 13 Jul 2016
In reply to That Shallot:

These bags look good, but of course I have no need!

I bought my Ortlieb bags when they first came out, as my bike dealer had a fabric sample cut halfway down the middle, and challenged me to tear it all the way trough. I stood no chance, and was immediately convinced. I have since upgraded the mounting system to the clip version (ten years ago or so), as I did not want to faff around with the old hook and thread type anymore, and they are still going strong.

CB
 Simon Pelly 13 Jul 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

Another big thumbs up for Ortlieb. Commute solely on my bike. Last 20+ years and still waterproof. Expensive at the time but over the years, it's now sub pence per trip.

Simon...
 Phil79 13 Jul 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

For the rear rack the one thing to check is the location of disk brake; is the brake caliper mounted on the seat stay, or the chain stay? If its mounted on the seat stay, you need a 'disk specific' rack.

If your bike is the same model as the link below, then the brake is on the chain stay, and pretty much any rack should fit ok.
https://www.evanscycles.com/norco-threshold-a2-2015-cyclocross-bike-EV21181...

I've got a Pinnacle Arkose with is very similar, and I've used several generic racks without issue. They all fit in a similar way, bolt onto the two bosses at the top of the seat tube (via extendable metal straps on the rack), and the ones at the rear drop outs. They are usually supplied with relevant bolts, or the bolts will be already fitted to the bosses on your bike.

I think my current rack is a Blackburn Expedition, about 25 quid and bomb proof.
OP Lynsety 13 Jul 2016
In reply to Phil79:

Yeah it is that bike and model. That's really helpful. Thank you.

I'm trying to find a kick stand for it as needs to be upright while a kids bike trailer is fitted but struggling to find one with the brake caliper fitted to the chain stay so if anyone knows of one and one that's sturdy then that would be good.

Ortileb bags look great but expensive and just not sure our usage will justify the cost. The 52 pound ones look interesting!

Lynsey.
 Phil79 13 Jul 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

For kickstands you could try practicalcycles.com They have good range of stuff like that.

For panniers I've got Altura ones which are semi copy of the more expensive Ortlieb ones, about £40 each so still fairly pricey.

I'd be tempted to look at decathlon if I was buying now, these look great for £20.
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-waterproof-rear-pannier-bike-bag-20l-id_8355...
 nniff 13 Jul 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

Ortlieb are very good, but if you're on a budget then LOMO are the way to go - made out of the heavy duty PVC stuff, They're not Ortlieb but they're not far off and the bag itself is rock solid.

http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/dry-bag-panier-hi-vis.html £30 each

In reply to Lynsety:

Ortlieb are the big name and there's no questioning the quality. personally I think they cost way too much. Have a look at the knock offs by RED LOON. Used them on my trip last year and very happy with them. Hard wearing.
 routrax 13 Jul 2016
In reply to That Shallot:

+ 1 for the Crossos.

Had mine just over a year, bought for a trip around belgium, and now doing 600-ish miles a month commuting, no leaks at all.

The rubber ring that tensions the retaining clip on one of mine broke a couple of weeks ago, sorted with a loop of bungee cord.

abr1966 13 Jul 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

I bought cheaper panniers then shortly afterwards replaced them with Ortlieb backrollers....quality! Wish I'd saved the money and bought good ones straight away. I got them from Evans who price matched them so they weren't actually that much more expensive than other brands...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...