UKC

Ordinary route- moving together youtube video

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zimpara 13 Jul 2016
That guy on youtube who GoPros his climbs with matt... really rate the videos! Particularly the rectory chimneys one! Thrilling!

On ordinary route, he's half moving together/ half bringing up a second, in the opening scenes he has a hex plaxed, with a snapgate, rope running through it down to the second. Ie just diverting. Granted it is feverishly easy ground but why wouldn't you put a munter on the crab?
 jezb1 13 Jul 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Ask him?
Removed User 13 Jul 2016
In reply to zimpara:

In my experience the crabs are usually on the munter...
OP zimpara 13 Jul 2016
In reply to Removed Userbennett_leather:
F*ck sakes! Lol Have a like!
Post edited at 21:51
OP zimpara 13 Jul 2016
In reply to jezb1:

> Ask him?

I would, but people are mean to me on youtube
 Phil Anderson 14 Jul 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Pretty standard for moving together surely?

I haven't seen the vid, but I'd guess maybe that he's only belaying the second for a couple of tricky moves before moving together again.

Also, maybe he doesn't like the munter hitch 'cos it puts excessive wear on the rope sheath, and can cause twists in the rope.
Removed User 14 Jul 2016
In reply to zimpara:

The Rectory Chimneys video was very good but I still got hopelessly lost when I went to do it. I did find like 4 bits of gear though from people who had done the same as me, so that's a bonus I guess even if I did have to replace my trousers at the end of the day.
 d_b 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Removed User:

Don't tell me. Exit point of second chimney before you are supposed to head right up the ramp?
Removed User 14 Jul 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:
Top of the second pitch I went up and left around a corner and belayed on a huge flat block and then went diagonally left and ended up on this grassy verge that went straight up. I was like 10m left from where I needed to be I think. he start standing on that flake was scary as shit as well, i thought that was going to pop right out as soon as I weighted it.
Post edited at 13:06
 d_b 14 Jul 2016
When I did it we did exactly the same thing - missed the point where you are supposed to start going right.

I ended up heading left across the gully and finding a devious and slightly loose ramp system that got me to the crest of the main ridge. Then it started snowing just in time for the seconds

Post edited at 13:16
Removed User 14 Jul 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

That sounds exactly like what I did, up that horrible ramp and then up some horrible loose choss steps to the top! Was an interesting day out anyway, first time I'd considered bailing on gear. 2 hours walk up and then like 5 on the wall and then down crib goch to finish was really nice.
 d_b 14 Jul 2016

On one hand I am glad that we weren't the only party to make that mistake, on the other I am slightly disappointed that I don't get to claim the ramp as a new route
 CurlyStevo 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Phil Anderson:
Is it? I watched the video, if was just bringing up a second over a slightly harder very short section I might not bother with a munter (depending on circumstances) but I'd atleast be down hill from the anchor in a position I could tug really hard on the rope. However in this case the leader would have had no chance of holding a fall as his body weight and position wasn't such that he could have tugged hard on the rope and he brought him all the way up to the belay. In this case using a munter would have been significantly safer and only taken seconds more to do.
Post edited at 15:17
 Phil Anderson 15 Jul 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Fair enough - I didn't see the video and has assumed he was below the gear. Happy to stand corrected.
 Jamie B 15 Jul 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Got a link to the vid?
 CurlyStevo 15 Jul 2016
In reply to Jamie B:

I assumed he meant this one its the first hit
youtube.com/watch?v=GavY3Mz00AI&
 Jamie B 15 Jul 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Gulp. Why wouldn't you use an italian/munter hitch there? He repeats the trick towards the end but on a much smaller piece.

I'm really struggling to see what the team have gained from moving together here.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...