UKC

Trad or boulder

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AlanPD 13 Jul 2016
The grade vote feature is great, but what if you think an E2 should be a V2? If the climb is 5m, the description says "Graded for a Solo Ascent with a pad or 2" and there is virtually no prospect of protecting the climb with gear, it doesn't make sense to describe it as a Trad climb. Is it possible to vote for a grad in a different style?
A Bridge Over Troubled Waters (HVS 5a)
In reply to AlanPD:

Contact the crag moderator and ask them to change it.

Alan
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

The FA was solo with mats, but the recorded repeat ascent was on a Top Rope. How should the climber record their TR ascent if it's reclassified as a boulder problem?
 SenzuBean 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

> The FA was solo with mats, but the recorded repeat ascent was on a Top Rope. How should the climber record their TR ascent if it's reclassified as a boulder problem?

You can always log the climb however you like (even if it is a boulder problem). The problem is you can't vote for a bouldering grade of a trad route , and vice versa.
In reply to SenzuBean:

The other 5 climbs on the same bridge are all Trad, so makes more sense to keep all the gradings the same?
 SenzuBean 15 Jul 2016
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

> The other 5 climbs on the same bridge are all Trad, so makes more sense to keep all the gradings the same?

I dunno As another example, this Seasick Slab (f3+) was in my guidebook as a VDiff 4a, but everyone has decided it's a boulder problem. I now can't vote and say I felt it was a Severe, or a Diff, or even that I agreed with VDiff 4a. Maybe not the best example, but the only one I can think of personally.
OP AlanPD 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

There are many trad routes which people often choose to solo, possibly due to poor gear. And there are boulders which people choose to climb or work with a rope. I think the line between trad and boulder can be a little blurred and sometimes a matter of personal perspective, in the same way a grade is. Therefore would it not be a nice if we could get a consensus on the style instead of having it dictated.
I just wanted to plant the idea for a future development.
 Fraser 21 Jul 2016
In reply to AlanPD:

Stick the grade suggestion in your comments, assuming they are public.
In reply to AlanPD:

> There are many trad routes which people often choose to solo, possibly due to poor gear. And there are boulders which people choose to climb or work with a rope. I think the line between trad and boulder can be a little blurred and sometimes a matter of personal perspective, in the same way a grade is. Therefore would it not be a nice if we could get a consensus on the style instead of having it dictated.

Being able to record an ascent in different grade styles is something we plan to add but it is quite a major change and won't be easy.

As regards dictating style - well route types can be changed by moderators and this tends to be done by consensus. It is easy to communicate with them if there is a question. The only time moderators can't change route style is when they are tied to Rockfax guidebook routes which is a necessary step for the book-App-Logbook system to work. We do review these though when producing updated information.

Alan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...