UKC

HR/GPS watch confusion... please help!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JayPee630 14 Jul 2016

Having been a bit random in my training over the years (to say the least!) I'm about to start a more structured time, partly inspired by reading 'Training for the New Alpinism' - although building a more general level of robust fitness is my goal rather than a specifically alpinist focused one at the moment.

Anyway, looks like a good HR/GPS watch is essential for this, especially building this aerobic base with a high volume of low/moderate activity (running in my case). So I need a watch to make this measurable and trackable. But I'm baffled at the amount of them on the market...

I want something that can monitor HR obviously, and a optical wrist sensor appeals more than a chest band, but these are limited (although Sunnto are about to start selling the Spartan range which has then, although at a price).

On top of that I want a GPS and the ability to track daily activity (steps?) and then also maybe an altimeter would be good. I don't need smartphone message gizmos or anything too fancy (I don't bike or swim) but I do want it to look OK enough to be wearable daily (some of the Fitbit ones look a bit odd tbh).

Makes I've looked at are Polar, Garmin, Sunnto, and Fitbit. Any models from them, or makes I've missed? Not too bothered about cost, although I wasn't that keen to spend the £550/600 on the Sunnto Spartan ones coming out. I've been looking at reviews and websites (DC Rainmaker for example) but end up more confused than clear!

Help please!
Post edited at 09:23
 sparkymark 14 Jul 2016
In reply to JayPee630:

Firstly, forget about wrist based HR if you want any kind of accuracy, unfortunately.

Secondly decide if you just want a training watch, or an 'outdoor' one - ie: do you need mapping or just GPS tracking?

Then set a budget. The polar m400 is an awesome cheap choice for running and daily activity, and the Suunto Ambits/Garmin Fenix great for outdoors, but about x3 times the price.
OP JayPee630 14 Jul 2016
In reply to sparkymark:

I thought that about the accuracy of the optical wrist ones, but DC Rainmaker reckons the ones in Suunto Spartan are just as good as chest mounted bands.

Not too bothered about a budget, but don't need any mapping I think, it mostly looks rubbish from what I've seen, and I can't imagine using it really. GPS tracking for distance only/height gained would be fine, assuming it's possible to get the later without the former...?

Seems you can get the Ambit on a good sale price atm.
 galpinos 14 Jul 2016
In reply to JayPee630:

The optical HR only works if it's in direct contact with your wrist so should you want the watch on the outside of a sleeve (in bad weather so you don't have to keep pulling your sleeve back).

I have a Fenix 3 HR. I like it. It does everything you ask of it and a lot more. Far too bulky to use as a day to day watch though.
 Indy 14 Jul 2016
In reply to JayPee630:

Fenix 3 does all you want and is currently 25% off.
In reply to JayPee630:

Alternatively, get a HRM sensor that will connect to your phone (Bluetooth, ANT/ANT+. etc.), and use your phone as GPS and data gatherer. There are plenty of fitness monitor apps for Android phones.
 sparkymark 14 Jul 2016
In reply to galpinos:
This is true. I've tested a lot of optical HR monitors, and unfortunately physiology is against them, as well as practicality. They cut battery life quite a bit into the bargain.

If you want an idiot-proof, super usable training HR/GPS watch then the M400 takes a lot of beating. The Ambits will need setting up to get the same effect, basically cutting out all the functions you don't need. If you think you might need the extras, then I'd go with a newer Vertical, the GPS antenna on the older Ambits gets in the way a fair bit.

Post edited at 14:25
OP JayPee630 14 Jul 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

Thanks, I did wonder about aplitting the devices, but the faf of two seperate things to charge and carry (and lose!) put me off.

I think I'll look at the Suunto models more carefully, some variety of Ambit looks good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...