UKC

NEWS: IFSC Lead World Cup Chamonix: Report

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 14 Jul 2016
Round one IFSC Chamonix , 3 kbThe first round of the IFSC Lead World Cup took place in a rainy Chamonix at the start of this week (11th-12th July). Slovenian team mates Domen Škofic and Janja Garnbret took Gold in an exciting final where the athletes put on a brilliant performance in the wind and rain on the 45 degree power-endurance finals routes. Word has it that these two are also a couple, which would make this the first double world cup win from a couple!

Read more
 Sloth Chops 15 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Janja Garnbret:
As she neared the headwall, the wind and the rain picked up and Janja really had to battle the elements on the final headwall, her small frame looked like it might almost get blown off the wall....

particularly when her feet slipped off the volumes twice- this certainly caused a stir amongst the crowd!

Apparently the ladies route was estimated at 8b+ and the mens 8c+. It was incredible to watch people climbing and on sighting at this level.
 stp 15 Jul 2016
In reply to Sloth Chops:

Interesting to know the grades of the routes. I'm certainly not surprised that Janja can onsight 8b+, given she flashed two 8c's at Santa Linya last year and has probably been training like mad since then. Still a good effort in a pressure situation in front of a large crowd and in bad conditions.

She topped the final's route last year too but so did Mina Markovic who won on countback.

I'm guessing her feet slipped because the holds were getting wet by then but don't know for sure.

I wonder how she would have done on the men's route.
 stp 16 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Janja has now qualified in the first place in the next round in Villars, Switzaland, topping both routes. Anak Verhoeven is in second place.

In the men's Domen Skofic is joint first place with Gautier Supper.

Semis are tomorrow morning at 9am.. Finals at 7pm.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ifscchannel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...