UKC

Good 'light' hard shelled helmet suggestions??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bodovix 14 Jul 2016

feeling the need for a new helmet:

looking for something a bit more durable than the BD Vapor - great helmet but i recon that's a bit of a single use helmet from what i'v seen - as its shell seems like it would crack easy after one decent rock fall? am i right?

happy to sacrifice a bit of weight for durability, but not wanting the petzl sirocco??

dose anyone know of any good hard shelled helmets out there that are reasonably light (and affordable..)?

edit:
breath-ability is the main issue I'm having with my current helmet as i find myself taking it off frequently to cool down, which is not good..
Post edited at 14:51
 ripper 14 Jul 2016
In reply to bodovix:

Grivel Salamander works well for me - not a huge number of vent holes but I don't seem to overheat (maybe because it's a yellow one, which supposedly reflects heat well). But as always with helmets it comes down to what fits/sits right on your head.
 zimpara 14 Jul 2016
In reply to bodovix:

BD halfdome. Fantastic helmet. Had a salamander before that, liked it too. But my dog chewed the straps off
In reply to bodovix:

New Salewa Vayu Is great. Really light and made of riot shield material!
 galpinos 14 Jul 2016
In reply to bodovix:

By hard shelled I assume you mean a "protect me from rockfall" type helmet, not a "protect me in a fall" foam type?
 CurlyStevo 14 Jul 2016
In reply to ripper:

I've sent 2/4 grivel Salamanda back as the insert fell out. They are also very poorly vented.
 CurlyStevo 14 Jul 2016
In reply to bodovix:

I've got a salamander and a petzl meteor, I pretty much only use the meteor now. It's plenty tough enough, well vented and light. It also protects better in fall scenarios.
 Brian Pollock 14 Jul 2016
In reply to bodovix:

Mammut Wall Rider. It's a hybrid made of the same stuff as the Sirocco with a hard shell top. Weighs less than a Meteor. Feels solid. Looks good.
 SteWok 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Brian Pollock:

Hi, for completeness I own a Vapor and it is hands down the best helmet I've ever had, it's incredibly comfortable as the straps are kept away from the face and has proven quite resistant to all manner of bangs and scrapes during regular trad climbing. For me the main thing is I actually wear this one, even on the walk in its that comfy and i used to never wear my helmet as i got so hot and uncomfy.

Hope that helps a little with your choice.

Steve
 angry pirate 15 Jul 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I've recently replaced my Salamander with a Petzl Elios. The Elios is lighter, comfier, packs smaller and looks better on the head (most importantly ) Better venting too and can be closed up for winter.
 BnB 15 Jul 2016
In reply to bodovix:

Another delighted Vapor wearer here. Had mine three years and it's dented and battered but unbowed. So much more comfortable than anything else it has been well worth the premium price.
 Tom Last 15 Jul 2016
In reply to bodovix:

I've got a BD Vector, which is one down from a vapour I believe. I'd buy the same again in a heartbeat.
 CurlyStevo 15 Jul 2016
In reply to angry pirate:
I'll still use a hard shelled helmet for winter and maybe for some mountaineering however for most summer rock I think the expanded foam design is better as its still good enough for the unlikely event of rock hitting you, but protects much better for the case of your hear hitting rock, which is more likely, which is why I bought the meteor. Plus its quite a bit lighter than the most hard shelled lids.

Looks wise I think the salamander is nicer than the elios and foam strip around the inside would certainly help with impacts. It also covers the back and sides of the head better. I don't like the cradle in the elios, but each to their own. I personally wouldn't buy another Salamander though, I've bought two and had to return two, so I think the construction just isn't good enough.
Post edited at 09:34
 StuDoig 15 Jul 2016
In reply to bodovix:

Petzl Alveo Vent. I've bought one after using them for MRT stuff and I've been really happy with it. More comfortable than my previous helmet, esp when it's hot, (Grivel Salamander) and been very robust so far.

Cheers,

Stu

ripper 15 Jul 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I thought I was going to have replace my Salamander recently when the size adjustment wheel at the back of the cradle broke - but I emailed Grivel's uk agent, Mountain Boot Company, and they sent me a replacement part no quibble. It just clips into place with a couple of poppers (also supplied), took about 10 seconds.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...