UKC

Summer Sport and trad in the Midi Pyrenees - Gear check

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 samnbuk 15 Jul 2016
Me and my girlfriend are heading to south France in August. I think we have everything we need for a week or two of sport climbing over there but I thought I would see what everyone on here thinks.

Currently we have the following:
1. Trad set (9 nuts, 4 hexes and a size 2 DMM cam plus 7 quickdaws, 2 prussick loops, a couple of slings and 5 screwgates).
2. Harness' and belay plates
3. 1x 50m single Mammut Galaxy rope
4. Helmets
5. Guidebook
6. Camping gear

I can easily climb sport 6a+ outdoor but my girlfiend is fairly new and probably limited to climbing 5a's.

Also going to buy a set of 5 sport quick draws and a half rope.

Anything we are missing or any tips for while we are over there?

Cheers,
Sam
 tintinandpip 15 Jul 2016
In reply to samnbuk:
Tie a knot in the end of the rope as many routes are over 25m long and take some old beeners that you can leave behind if you can't get up the route ( assuming bolted).
Bottle opener and corksrew and you're good to go!!!
Post edited at 14:00
 Greasy Prusiks 15 Jul 2016
In reply to samnbuk:

A few mallions wouldn't go a miss.

And passport always remember your passport!
 tintinandpip 15 Jul 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:
I was going to suggest mallions but couldn't spell it !!! Much safer than my suggestion of old beeners !!!
Post edited at 14:01
 Eciton 15 Jul 2016
In reply to samnbuk:

If you are going sport climbing only, forget the trad set. You only need harness, belay device and between 10 and 16 quickdraws depending how big are the routes in the areas you are planning to visit. Helmet is always nice so take one if you like using one.

50m rope is very short! Get a 60m at least, better to be 70m, but 80m even better!

Forget the half rope.

Maillons as said above are nice to have or event better a clipstick. Have fun. Remember the grades are in french, so expect them to be harder than in UK, in particular on F6s and below.
 Greasy Prusiks 15 Jul 2016
In reply to tintinandpip:
He who dares wins rodders,
he who doesn't... don't.

Post edited at 15:13
OP samnbuk 18 Jul 2016
Thanks All,
Went for a 70m Mammut Classic rope and a set of 5 mammut indicator quickdraws. I'll get a couple of Maillons too once I've read through the UKC's "Which Maillons do I need" Topic!

Also picked up the rockfax France : Languedoc-Roussillon guidebook so I think we are all set!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...