UKC

Grand Combin route conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 d80f0u 17 Jul 2016
Anyone been to/near Grand Combin recently? I'm particularly interested in any info regarding snow conditions for the NW face of Combin de Valsorey, and whether or not this is likely to be a feasible climb at the moment (if not, the Meitin ridge is my current plan B).

Thanks, as ever, in anticipation!
OP d80f0u 20 Jul 2016
In reply to d80f0u:

Anyone?
(Bump)
 MG 21 Jul 2016
In reply to d80f0u:

No specific information but overall it is still quite snowy even after the recent heat. Dent d'herens normal route (similar to Combine face??) In excellent condition for example.
 Matt250 21 Jul 2016
I stayed in the Pannossiere hut last thursday/friday (14th/15th). It had snowed a lot midweek and there was a lot on the grand combin on Friday. We went up the combin de Corbassiere instead and most places had 8 inches of fresh snow on a solid base. Some areas had a bit more snow, maybe 16 inches at most so it was slightly slower going but didn't really slow us down much as the base under the snow was hard.

It was hot when we left and the snow was melting quickly. If it has been warm since then I think most of the snow would have gone and the conditions would be quite good. You'll need to check this though.

I would recommend calling one of the huts and checking with them. Panossiere hut below.

http://www.cabane-fxb-panossiere.ch/en
OP d80f0u 28 Jul 2016
In reply to Matt250:

Thanks Matt and MG for your replies - very encouraging! We're walking in to the Valsorey hut this afternoon so I'll let you know!
OP d80f0u 31 Jul 2016
In reply to d80f0u:
Just in case anyone else is interested in the same info, we climbed the NW face of Combin de Valsorey on Friday and the conditions couldn't have been better! Mostly great snow-ice all the way, secure axe placements and enough solid ice for screws so that the route could easily be protected. Great weather too - clear overnight with sunshine and cracking views from the summit. Fantastic route!

But...

It's a LONG way, and probably at the very limit of our capabilities. On balance I think we underestimated the sheer physical demands of such a route and took over an hour more than guidebook time - this meant a late summit of the Valsorey, a decision not to continue to the Grafeneire summit and a horrendous melty epic on the way down. That's another story though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...