UKC

Alan Vega has died

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 17 Jul 2016
http://pitchfork.com/news/66862-suicides-alan-vega-dead-at-78/

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2008/aug/01/popandrock.suicide

I was at the Clash gig. I thought Suicide were fantastic and I bought their debut album the next day.
RIP Alan, Dream Baby Dream..
 cragtyke 17 Jul 2016
In reply to aln:

Shame.
I saw them on that tour with the Clash at Leeds Queen's Hall, they got pelted with cans all the way through, I don't think I've seen anybody provoke as strong a reaction as they got. I'm sure I've got Frankie teardrop on an old Peel show tape somewhere.
 3leggeddog 17 Jul 2016
In reply to aln:

Sad news, love that tortured rock n roll
 OMR 17 Jul 2016
In reply to aln:

I too saw them on that tour, but in Aberdeen, where they had seats thrown at them and a guy on stage taking a swing at Vega. I reckon I was one of about half a dozen folk there who absolutely loved them - everyone else hated them. (In a strange combination, the other support band was a group called The Coventry Specials, who soon after dropped the 'Coventry' from their title).
As a young reporter for the local paper I interviewed Vega within minutes of him coming off stage and he was absolutely buzzing with the confrontation. Saw them a few months later down in London at the sweatbox of the 100 Club; tremendous gig and with a more sympathetic audience. Still the most extreme gig I've ever been at.
OP aln 17 Jul 2016
In reply to cragtyke:

>I don't think I've seen anybody provoke as strong a reaction as they got. I'm sure I've got Frankie teardrop on an old Peel show tape somewhere.

I scared the shit out of my younger cousin playing Frankie Teardrop through headphones in the dark, volume control used at appropriate moments.
OP aln 17 Jul 2016
In reply to OMR:

Yeah they thrived on confrontation. Would've loved to experience them at the 100
 OMR 17 Jul 2016
In reply to aln:

Yeah, small, crowded, sweat condensing and running down the walls and Vega shouting and screaming over Rev's nagging beat, hitting himself with the microphone... sounds like a vision of hell and maybe that was the attraction. Totally uncompromising. Brilliant experience.
OP aln 17 Jul 2016
In reply to OMR:

Sounds like my kinda fun..
 dread-i 17 Jul 2016
In reply to aln:
I saw them at Acid Daze in Leeds, in 87. I seem to remember they were boo'd or indeed boo'd off before their set was complete. Seems to be a bit of a theme regarding audience reactions. (Spaceman3, on the other hand, totally uncharismatic, sat on plastic chairs all the way through - superb set.)

I did listen to them inadvertently again the other week, as a they were part of a spotify mix. There was a certain intensity that made me immediately think 'it's Suicide', even though I wasn't really listening and engaged in other things.
Post edited at 23:46

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...