UKC

Cam Trigger Wire Repair

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Thinker01 19 Jul 2016
 wilkie14c 19 Jul 2016
In reply to Thinker01:

Very nice job, more 'proper' looking than strummer wire repairs!
Your repair and tools needed for it are what was contained in the cam doctor kit that was popular a few years back. I got one while in the USA and still have it, makes good repairs similar to yours.
The wc friends actually incorporated a very clever bit of design that enabled the trigger wires to be replaced without tools by the end user. Don't know if you can still get those kits now.
Nice work
OP Thinker01 19 Jul 2016
In reply to wilkie14c:

Cheers. Seemed like a pretty reasonable investment.
OP Thinker01 19 Jul 2016
In reply to wilkie14c:

I had a look for the Cam Doctor kits before I arrived at the conclusion that I was going to have to do it myself. Looks like they've gone out of business - the web address goes nowhere.
In reply to Thinker01:

It's also possible to replace the solid wire that activates the cams, using the same tools. All you need is some 1 or 1.1mm solid wire.

Pic here: http://bit.ly/29VT6JL
 CurlyStevo 19 Jul 2016
In reply to Thinker01:

Just make sure you check the cables on the stems for older cams - tech friends in particular IMO https://www.thebmc.co.uk/media/files/TCM%2012_09.pdf
OP Thinker01 19 Jul 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Cheers for that. Worth reading if not entirely confidence inspiring!
 CurlyStevo 19 Jul 2016
In reply to Thinker01:
I've retired a couple of cams in the past due to wires fraying at this point on them. I think the outer wires are by far the more likely to snap first so you can see visually when this has occurred.
Post edited at 16:10
 bergfuhrer 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Thinker01:

I use 7 X 19 , 1.5 dia wire from same source. It is more flexible. I crimp with aluminium crimps. To replace the rods in the cams if req, I use S/S 1.5 dia welding wire.
 daWalt 29 Jul 2016
In reply to Thinker01:

alrighty, this thread deserves a place for future reference.
I'v just managed this process on an ol DMM 4cu.....

I'd suggest
1.25 or 1.5 7x7 SS wire,
Code 1.5 Alu ferrules,
this is pretty much a like for like replacement of what's on there already.

tips:
the existing ferrules are quite easy to cut off with a junior hacksaw
be neat wit the new wire, once it frays it's a total pain to thread.....
for a well neat job get a proper crimping tool.
cut the wire to length first, then crimp just inside or flush with the ferrule so there's no fraying bits.
grow a third arm and hand to hold everything in place while you fumble around like a ham fisted lummox.
 cragtyke 30 Jul 2016
In reply to daWalt:

> alrighty, this thread deserves a place for future reference.

> I'v just managed this process on an ol DMM 4cu.....

> I'd suggest

> 1.25 or 1.5 7x7 SS wire,

> Code 1.5 Alu ferrules,

> this is pretty much a like for like replacement of what's on there already.

> tips:

> the existing ferrules are quite easy to cut off with a junior hacksaw

> be neat wit the new wire, once it frays it's a total pain to thread.....

> for a well neat job get a proper crimping tool.

> cut the wire to length first, then crimp just inside or flush with the ferrule so there's no fraying bits.

> grow a third arm and hand to hold everything in place while you fumble around like a ham fisted lummox.

Agree with all of this, just repaired an old friend and a dragon cam with 1mm 7x7 and code 1 alu ferrule, the slightly larger sizes would make it a bit easier.
 Simon Caldwell 01 Aug 2016
In reply to Thinker01:

Sounds very impressive, and more than a little tricky. I'll stick with strimmer cord I think, it's lasted 10 years so far...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...