UKC

Wiwanni hut/Steinadler route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JamesSA 19 Jul 2016
A Swiss friend (who is a walker but not a climber) has said that the Wiwanni hut near Visp has lots of climbing and might be a good bet for a few days multipitch alpine rock. The logbooks and Plaisir West look promising (especially the Steinadler route) but can anyone tell me if this is a worthwhile destination in its own right? It's not a part of the Valais that I know very well.
graham F 19 Jul 2016
In reply to JamesSA:

Yes, it's a brilliant place. Really nice hut if you want to stay up there, but you can do routes in a day too. Steinadler is excellent. Lots of topos in the hut.
Buy a ticket in the cafe opposite the station at the bottom of the hill and you can drive up a private road - saves miles of walking. It's only a few francs and they do check tickets!
 Jenny Dart 19 Jul 2016
In reply to JamesSA:
We were there last week, best food in a hut we had the whole trip! A stunning location with great bolted routes. We did ostroute which had an involved approach but the climbing had a couple of superb pitches. Would love to spend more time there. We bought a ticket for the private road and trail head parking in the top parking machine in the village, took change. I think it was 5CHF for the first day and 3CHF for each day after. Half board at the hut was 57CHF. There is no drinking water, you have to buy bottled.
Fully intending on a return visit, enjoy!
OP JamesSA 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Jenny Dart:

Thanks both, especially for the parking tip! Glad you enjoyed it, the Steinadler and Ostroute both look really good

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...