UKC

Convertible Car to sleep in.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
kingoftheroad49 20 Jul 2016
Hi,

Can anyone suggest or recommend a 4 door convertible car that two people could sleep in with enough room to put an inflatable mattress and or sleeping bags across the back seat?
Is there is such a model for touring?

Thanks
Paul
 james wardle 20 Jul 2016
In reply to kingoftheroad49:

More or less the answer here is no there is not such a thing. because the roof folds down in to the boot there is not much space.

There are two exceptions to this that come to mind but neither are cheap.
1, you will sleep quite comfortable in a Lincoln continental
2, you can get a soft top conversion for a classic VW camper

My "expedition" car is a convertible RX8 a tent and climbing gear in the boot, does the trick for us.

good luck. let us know what you end up with.

Dax H 20 Jul 2016

Old land-rover with a canvas top.
 BnB 20 Jul 2016
In reply to james wardle:

The new Evoque ragtop is just the ticket for you. And you can tour secure in the knowledge that Victiria Beckham has overseen your night's sleep

http://www.landrover.co.uk/vehicles/range-rover-evoque/convertible/index.ht...

After a couple of years' happy motoring you'll be able to sell it on while retaining a little more than half the £50k you paid for it. Sorted.
 The New NickB 20 Jul 2016
In reply to BnB:

That is truly revolting!
 jkarran 20 Jul 2016

Unless you're well under 5ft you can't sleep flat across the back seat of any reasonable sized car.

A canvas topped Landy would just about fit your description (with a bit of wood in the back) but I wouldn't want to go touring in one (having actually done so once).

Pick your priorities, buy the car that best fits the normal use case then figure out how to make it work for the occasional out of the ordinary trip. I've used my Z3 for a 2-up camping/bouldering/trad road trip, it's obviously not ideal but it's doable.
jk

Buy a cheap double cab defender and send it to these guys to convert...

http://newportspecialtycars.com/content/land-rover-defender-convertible
 Fraser 20 Jul 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

> That is truly revolting!

I think I actually prefer it to the hard top version!
 The New NickB 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Fraser:

> I think I actually prefer it to the hard top version!

I don't think that counts as a recommendation.
Moley 20 Jul 2016

I have Citroen Picasso, the rear seats come out in a minute and I store them in the house, I then have a large flat area in the back similar to a van.
I sleep in it a lot on trips and sometimes wife as well, both of us are about 5ft6 and there is plenty of length (front seats pushed forward) but not much room for anything else, unless stored on front seat. It also has reasonable head room to sit up OK.

If you are 6ft forget it.

Dual Cab pickup with a fast-back? Clearly not what you aksed for, but just another option...
 cander 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

I was thinking exactly the same - and if the convertable is non negotiable head off to a local garage and they'll chop the roof off and make you a soft top - sorted - much cheaper than BnB's silly £50k suggestion. Should you be a member of the NFU or BASC then you can get 17% discount off a new hilux and if you're VAT registered you can get the 20% VAT back too.
 Fraser 20 Jul 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

> I don't think that counts as a recommendation.

Quite, but relatively speaking I think it's a bit nicer.
 BnB 20 Jul 2016
In reply to cander:

> I was thinking exactly the same - and if the convertable is non negotiable head off to a local garage and they'll chop the roof off and make you a soft top - sorted - much cheaper than BnB's silly £50k suggestion.

Silly?

It's the very acme of automotive design. Did I mention Victoria Beckham?

cander 20 Jul 2016
In reply to BnB:

Indeed you did and as a result I've ordered two, the power of brand Beckham!
 Morty 20 Jul 2016

Why?
 shaymarriott 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

"Cheap" and "Defender" aren't two words you often see together these days...
 balmybaldwin 20 Jul 2016
In reply to james wardle:

> My "expedition" car is a convertible RX8 a tent and climbing gear in the boot, does the trick for us.

I didn't know Mazda did a convertible version of the RX8? how does that work without the B pillar?

Removed User 20 Jul 2016

Ex academy Caterham with full cage, stick a roof tent on it, sorted.

http://uk.caterhamcars.com/pre-owned/1829-seven-620r
+
http://dornob.com/rev-the-roof-tiny-rooftop-tent-rides-on-mini-cooper-cars/
=

What you need is a 1970 Buick Electra.
 petellis 21 Jul 2016
Its a fantastic idea, but I don't think you have the correct strategy though.

With a convertible you want to be sleeping on the front seats, remove the rear seat bases and recline the front seats so that they are flat and sleep on them.

I had a puegot 306 where this was the only option since the boot didn't go flat with the seats down, it was very comfortable - but some seats aren't because they don't go flat or have bits sticking out. .

Audi 80/A4? 306 cabrolet. Merc C class soft top? Maybe go to a car supermarket and test all available options for this configuration?
Post edited at 11:18

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...