UKC

Rent trad climbing gear in scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Alice 20 Jul 2016
Hi!
We'll be travelling in Scotland in end of July/August and we wanted to know how to rent some gear for trad climbing and a crashpad also maybe? Which kind of places do that? Do you have an idea of the prices for 1 or 2 weeks?
I did´n't find anything on internet...
Thanks for your help
Alice
 ogreville 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Alice:

I don't think you will find anywhere that will hire you trad climbing gear - I've looked in to it in the past.
Others may correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no companies in the UK that will provide more than the minimum 'climbing wall kit' hire - ie shoes, harness & helmet - Adventure Peaks, OutdoorHire.co.uk etc

I'm 99% sure that ropes, cams, nuts and slings etc are not hired out as they could potentially have taken high factor falls in the past and there are two many risk variables. I wouldn't really want to risk my life with kit that I don't know the history on. The hire companies also aren't willing to take the liability risk. They would need to have every piece checked and signed off as safe after each hire.

For Bouldering, there isn't any reason why you couldn't rent a mat.......but there isn't anywhere in Scotland to rent them.

Sorry, we're a bit rubbish up here!
Alice 20 Jul 2016
In reply to ogreville:

Thanks for your answer!
In fact we have everything except the mat and the nuts...but it's understandable that they cannot really know if we felt down with it or not. Well, anyway, we´ll find another solution
 CurlyStevo 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Alice:

You might be wise to get some cams too.
 Dell 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Alice:
The other solution is to buy a set of nuts, you can get a 1-10 set of wild country rocks+ krab for £60. Or a set of the classics for less than £50. Even if you used them the once and then sold them you would get about 2/3rds of your money back, so probably the equivalent of 'renting'

A pad is rarely used in trad climbing, you can get away without it.

If you are starting out on a budget, as it sounds, then you don't 'need' cams for easy routes.
Post edited at 13:18
 Arty 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Alice:

Went to see some old friends with gear to sell for a small amount. Not modern but cheap. Get in touch if interested
Removed User 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Alice:

Pretty sure PYB in wales hire kit, glenmore lodge might be worth a shot?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...