UKC

Suffering with a bit of wind

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 20 Jul 2016
With weather forecasts and weather pointing devices my brain hurts.

Wind direction, is that where the wind is coming from, or is it where the wind is going to?
OP The Lemming 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Phil Anderson:

And that just confuses matters, even if I ignore your attempt at humour.

Today is a point in case. While out today deciding where to go and trying to stay away from thunder clouds I checked out a weather site that said the wind was "N"

From your website it would state that the wind was coming from the north, however the clouds were heading north. This adds to my confusion.
 Xharlie 20 Jul 2016
In reply to The Lemming:
My usual solution is to open a window.

Traditionally, you name the wind according to the direction _from which_ the air is coming. A "northerly" wind means air is moving from North to South, as would be the clouds. EDIT: Although the clouds may be moving in a counter-intuitive direction because the wind at their altitude might be different to the wind on ground level.

These days, I have no idea. Too much liberty in communication has lead to a unintelligible world.

Oh. And this: https://earth.nullschool.net/
Post edited at 14:05
 birdie num num 20 Jul 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

The north wind doth blow, there will be snow
 markAut 20 Jul 2016
In reply to The Lemming:
Wind direction is not constant with altitude, so even without local disturbances, the clouds often don't move in the same direction as the wind at ground level. To those in the know, it gives information as to how the weather will change. Veering and backing are terms related to this, which I no longer remember what they mean.
Basic meteorology is good fun and really adds another level of detail to a day out.

Shame I can't find my weather book.
Post edited at 21:22

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...